I am familiar with the digs that signal change in volume, program, and low battery to battery shutdown dig patterns. Today I heard a pattern that I once counted to be 10 dings. It came back a few minutes later and then the aid shutdown. The batteries were no more than a few hours old, I usually get 6 days on a set of batteries. Nonetheless, the battery measured 1.4 volts so I replaced it again and there are so far no more dig signals being sent to my ear. I assume the Signature 5 has documentation on what the dig patterns mean, but I have not been able to find that documentation.
I was told it was a lost connection between aids. I had it happen a few times with the Linx(KS6) and was told this by the Resound rep. I think it might be a temporary voltage drop causing the loss between aids. It only happened a couple of times so I wouldn’t worry about it for now.
Thanks, KenP. The rest of the story, so far. I replaced the battery yesterday and all has been normal since. Looking more closely at the battery in the subject hearing aid, a fresh Costco battery carried in my wallet, has a no load terminal voltage of 1.4. I assume fresh it is 1.5 or higher. I don’t know if this is below the Sig 5, acceptable voltage threshold, but the failure was not the typical low battery shutdown. In addition the failed battery has a unusual dent on the flat negative side. It looks like a bb gun dent in a tin can, but much smaller. As noted, the battery has been in my wallet, it was in the Costco circular dispenser and protected from my BUTT forces by several layers of billfold leather. I don’t see anyway the battery could have suffered physical damage during my ownership and assume it was dented in the factory and I just didn’t notice when I put it in the hearing aid.
It doesn’t have to be damaged physically. Any breach in the air seal will let air into the battery to activate the chemical process that initiates the use of battery power.
PVC, thanks. My error noted on the dent is in the positive side. My meter doesn’t care which why it is hooked up, and I overlooked the minus sign on the reading. Perhaps more important, I now know the measure on a working cell, 1.3 volts. That would suggest to me the damaged cell may have failed the hearing aid program for being too high. Go figure on that one. Familiar as I am with batteries I admit I know nothing about the air activated cell we use. I’ll spend a few minutes on the web to see what the explanation is.
Here a string of comments that I found.
Thanks, just a little more from my “research” the zinc air battery has a open terminal of about 1.6 but typically delivers 1.35 to 1.4 (in truth I forgot the exact number of the range but it included the range of the subject battery). As I didn’t throw the subject battery in the trash I have reinstalled it in my hearing aid and it is working fine now, about two hours so far. As for the thread, I put my batteries on a piece of scotch tape to reseal from air the rear of the battery whenever I am not wearing which is during sleep and about half of the wake time. I often engage in noisy work and use ear protectors that are effective only if the aids are removed. I get about 6 days use from batteries and as the reinstallation of the batteries is “random” each should spend about 1/2 of its life in each of the two aids. This is somewhat validated in practice as the failure while not simultaneous it is close to the same, within a few hours. So the cause of the 10 bing shutdown remains unclear. But as the aids are working I see no reason to make an appointment with Costco to see if they can check. I know in fact the “fitter” does not have the tools to test aids beyond go-no-go. In one case so far an aid failed shortly after the three year warranty period, it appeared to work but didn’t deliver so I sent it to the factory (via Costco) and for a $100 something (forget that number too, but very reasonable in my mind) and the aid was replaced with a new unit. Good for the Costco contract. I may stay with the sig aids and will likely consider a new pair in a year or tow or whenever the current aids quit.
I wouldn’t use Scotch tape or bother for that matter. The tape can leave adhesive behind which could close or restrict the vent. The adhesive on the tabs is quite different from Scotch. As for the cost, I just put them in until they announce pending failure. That’s about 4 days for me. Try to make them last means a couple of pennies and that isn’t worth the time or effort.
Additionally, I replace both when one dies. I can maybe get up to a day when I tried separately. Again, not worth the hassle.
I do have a plastic holder for two aids that I keep in a pocket for replacement away from home. The hard plastic makes for a secure storage. You may get them free from your HA dealer. Otherwise,
I had KS-5’s from 2014 until last summer, when I replaced them with KS-7’s. I got about 5 days battery life on the 5’s and 7 days on the 7’s.
With the 5’s, I occasionally heard several ding sounds. I did not correlate that with any battery problem.
One little annoying feature with the 7’s is when a battery is going, it dings every minute until I change. On the 5’s it was every 5 minutes. If I do not have spares with me than I have to either put up with the sounds or turn off one aid.