Wet ear canals

I wear Phonak P90Rs and use small power domes. I experience severe fluid in my canals after only a few hours which end up blocking my domes, so I remove them, clean them off and reinsert them for a few more hours.
I have tried numerous domes types, sizes and brands working with my ENT and my Dr of Audi to no avail.
About every two months I have to use antibiotics to clear up the mess. It works for about five weeks ,then the excess fluid starts all over again.
I asked my Audi about select a vent earmolds to see if that might help. She said she could try, but usually that’s the wrong avenue to try as it allows even less air inside the canals.
I clean my aids every night and apply Comfort Ear to the domes in an attempt to ease any possible rubbing inside my canals to eliminate irritation.
Any experiences or advice is most appreciated.

Power domes full close the ear canal so I don’t understand how a ear mold with select a vent would provide less air?

This type of ear mold with a select a vent would provide more air flow.

1 Like

I wear custom ear molds with a small vent. Do I sometimes get moisture in my ear canals? Yes I do. But I guess I am lucky I am 74 years young and I have never had an ear infection. I have worn hearing aids for over 18 years, mostly custom ITE aids. I have to say this I had more issues the 4 years I wore domes than any other time wearing aids.

I would be inclined @lbr0el0fs to try “Hypoallergenic Custom made RIC molds”, as you could be having an allergic reaction to the domes? For years, I had the same problem as you, wet ear, and recurring ear infections, no one told me I could be allergic to my BTE ear molds, eventually I requested and got Hypoallergenic molds, and I still get a little moisture, but nothing like before, ear infections are now a fairly rare occurrence, they also make RIC Hypoallergenic molds, I had these with my Marvels… Good Luck with finding a solution. Cheers Kev :wink:

I don’t know about hypoallergenic, but I do use custom acrylic molds with a vent. Feedback is a low frequency issue and we have similar low frequency loss. I have a .8mm vent and have no issues. Phonak is good about tuning out feedback. The hard acrylic last much longer than the soft plastics. You may have to have them ground here and there if they irritate you ear.

My molds are open skeleton design and stay in very well. I think once you have tired them, you will wonder why you ever used domes.

1 Like

Great feedbacks and much appreciated. I have an appointment with my ENT this Tuesday and after that I will make another appointment with my Audi to discuss custom ear molds.
I will keep you posted as to my decision and results. Based on your feedback and my frustration with domes, I don’t see any other course but to try custom molds. I also feel that acrylic hypoallergenic may be the way to go.
My Audi stated the following “Best case scenario, the cost is $80/ear. That is for a type of earmold that snaps on to your current receiver. The ear canal must be big enough/the right shape for them to build this type. If they call me and say they can’t build that, they will ask to make an ‘embedded’ earmold, where the receiver is part of the earmold. They are $150/ear. “
Not sure what embedded earmold is but assume the receiver will be imbedded within the earmold which I hope will not be the case , because I would prefer to have a removable receiver for cleaning and possible replacement due to failure.
Thanks again .

1 Like

Update:
My Audi told me the custom mold manufacturer could not make the canal mold, which was my preference, due to my narrow left ear canal. Interesting, because my first set of HAs over twenty years ago were CIC HAs. They would have to make molds that require the receiver to be imbedded within the mold. Therefore, I would not be able to remove the receiver to clean it occasionally. I would also have to pay for a new mold and receiver in case the receiver failed.
For now I wear my domes just outside my canals and only push them in side when leaving my home.
Not the outcome I hoped for.
Also strange about the mold manufacturer because when I had my last pair from COSTCO the custom molds were made to fit, although somewhat tight.

There was some discussion recently about why anyone would want to use this device. Would it do anything for you?

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/the-worlds-first-wearable-ear-dehumidifer/