Went to RIC and have a few questions

I’m after getting adjusted several times and I’m still having trouble in noisy situations. I feel I hear everything quiet good but I’m mixing up several words in a sentence. I’m not sure if I’m hearing so much better and getting critical or it’s actually an issue. It’s even just a general conversation with a little background noise that has me second guessing certain words.

Also, now when I take out my aids I feel so
much deafer. Wife notices that I want the tv up more then ever when I take them out at night to watch tv in bed? Anyone had the same?

Does anyone wear their aids at night? I thought my hearing loss is only on the milder side but my wife tells me I never hear the kids when they wake in am. Wondering if I should leave in during the night?

Thanks.

Looking at your audiogram I can see why your wife has issues with how loud you need the TV to be.
Yes, your hearing loss affects everyone around you.
You really need to wear your aids all the time.
Sorry to be so blunt, but it the truth.
Wear your aids, use the TV connector (streamer).
Good luck

I wouldn’t agree that you should wear your HAs all night. Unless you are using them for tinnitus masking at night, then taking them out and giving your ear canals a chance to dry out is the better thing to do.

But maybe taking them out after you finish watching TV in bed rather than before would be a good compromise.

2 Likes

First part - Is this with the hearing aids in or hearing aids out? If this is with the hearing aids in, you need to give your brain some time to adjust to the sound. To me, RIC’s sounded very different from size 13 BTE earmolds. It was a new learning curve, but a welcome learning curve for me. It takes patience and commitment to wearing your hearing aids so your brain can actively adjust to the new sounds you may not have been hearing. If you have not been wearing your hearing aids and are trying to go without wearing them for a period of time, you’re going to be straining your ears trying to fill in the blanks which isn’t going to do you any good. If your ears / brain get tired of wearing your hearing aids after a time, you can take a break, but always remember that you won’t benefit from them if you’re not wearing them with the understanding that they’re meant to help you with the daily life situations you’re in that require active listening.

Second part - The “deafer” part comes from your brain looking for information it can’t find because you can’t have your hearing aids in. It’s like a shell shock moment. You need to think about it as though you’re getting more information than you were used to getting before while you were going unaided. Your brain needs to adjust to it, your ear needs to adjust to it, because you’re now feeding new information that you haven’t been receiving for quite some time. It is tiring, just remember to take breaks and not stress yourself out with it. In this situation, you will definitely benefit from a TV streamer. This will keep both you and your significant other happy.

Third part - The only time I wear my hearing aids at night is if I need to hear my nephew in the other room crying. Otherwise, they’re out and in their carrying case.

I hope my answers don’t offend you. They’re just my point of view if I place myself in the same situation you’re in. I’m trying to speak from a standpoint of experience being objective and not just subjective.

How long did it take you for the “adjustment period?

I see you are quiet young. Always had hearing problems or just in recent years?
Thanks.

I’ve had BTE’s with ear molds since I was 9 years old. Got my first RIC’s when I was about… 21 or so.

The adjustment period took me about 2 weeks. Though, it’s different for everyone, not just because of age difference, but environmental differences.

Used to be only BTE had the power for profound loss since they did not make a power receiver in a size that fit. That changed and I went from BTE to RIC. I have since gone back to BTE with the Phonak Naida Marvel. I have much worse hearing than you in the higher frequencies and I suspect RIC is fine for you. I hate to say this, but word recognition in noise is a problem for both BTE and RIC.

I did not see whether you used custom molds or not. At your loss you can still use venting but can get more gain without feedback from custom molds on RIC or BTE.

Lastly, I cannot imagine sleeping in hearing aids.

1 Like

I actually know nothing about molds nor was it ever offered or spoken about buy audiologist. I’m figuring my loss is not there yet?

Do you or anyone else ever have a little trouble knowing who is speaking to you in a bigger outdoor venue? I’m finding that at times I can hear people calling my name but not exactly sure who said my name or where the voice came from.

Appreciate all the feedback as my head is spinning trying to understand all this!!!

I guess you are fairly new to the HA world. They are not perfect and some things like directionality of the sound just will not happen perfectly. The more you wear them, the more your brain adapts. I have worn HA’s over 40 years and things like understanding in noise or directionality of the sound are still not there. I can assure you today’s hearing aids are light years ahead of my first ones.

For someone new to HA’s the audiologist is critical. As you become experienced, you learn how to describe things. Some of us here even do our own tuning, but that is a bad idea for people that are new or not willing to spend a great deal of time learning how to tune things.

Keep at it, keep them in your ears and keep working to improve them.

1 Like

Hi John,

What aids are you wearing?

You have a moderate flat hearing loss. This means that you perceive sounds a roughly the right tonal level, but at a fraction of the ‘normal’ intensity. This is both a blessing and a curse.

The positive: given appropriate amplification, you will hear relatively normally again. The quality of your listening experience will improve over the next 12-18weeks.

The negative: Listening through hearing aids is unlike ‘normal’ hearing, you lose the pinna effect of your ears which provides some natural directionality. As you habituate to the sounds from the hearing aid, you’ll prefer to listen through them as it will involve less listening effort.

Don’t wear them overnight, your ear canals need to breathe and not develop bacterial or fungal infections.

1 Like

I believe I have the Oticon Opn S 1

Great, they are decent aids.

Ask for a couple of programs, the basic one is pretty good, it’s tuneable to give you more clarity +9dB in background noise. Also try a music program, that will give you a ‘softer’ alternative with less processing that your brain might like. Try them at different volumes too, to evaluate how the aids perform in real world situations.

Depending on which end of the spectrum you prefer, less/more processed with more or less signal loudness, you’ll be able to go back to the Audiologist armed with the tools to suggest which way you’d like them programmed. Even if this takes a couple of iterations as you get used to wearing them.

2 Likes