Wearing hearing aids and spectacles / Comfort

Does anyone have any guidance on wearing hearing aids and spectacles?

I have recently tried a pair of Oticon Epoqs, and although they worked well for me, after a few hours I found them uncomfortable because of the way they lie alongside the arms of my spectacles.

I have had the arms of my spectacles slimed down (to approx 2.5mm diameter) by my optician, and that helped.

I would like to buy the Epoqs, but I am worried that I will tire of them and put them in a drawer.

Might it, for instance, help if the receiver wires were slightly longer so that the hearing aids could sit on top rather than alongside?

I am buying my first hearing aids. Will get used to them?

most people do wear glasses

this are good aids, you should benefit from them…

you have a trial period so there is nothing to loose

I fit 95% behind the ear hearing aids and most of my patients wear glasses as well. Usually, there are no problems with the two conflicting. Most of the time an adjustment can be made to the length of the earmold tubing or the earhook to alleviate any discomfort.

Hi shiplake

I wear BTE HAs and glasses, and I’ve had very little trouble. I had to adjust the bows (arms) so the ends layed a little more closely against my head (the HAs sit on the outside edge of the bows), and I’m careful when putting the glasses on, but no real problems to speak of. For me, the hearing aids provide so much benefit that there is no question of putting them into a drawer. Not to mention nearly $4000 of expense! :slight_smile: I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Dag

My question is why you are choosing BTEs? Most people these days can be fitted with something in the ear.

That said, most glasses wearing patients have little to no issues with todays small BTEs.

Hi ZCT

Having just purchased my first set of HAs, that’s an easy question to answer. Obviously, I’m speaking for no one but myself. First of all, I really didn’t want an instrument that occludes my ear canal, for both physical comfort and more natural sounds (own voice, chewing, etc). If you can live with occlusion and go with a CIC fit, you loose some of the most important features you get with a good BTE, like dual microphones, and all of the features they support. Except for a CIC, nothing is more discrete that an open fit BTE. To me, the real question is if you have a loss that is within the fitting range of an open fit aid, why would you choose anything else? My 2 cents.

Dag

To each their own. The BTE has made quite a comeback in recent years. ITEs had the BTEs on the run for a few years there, but with the high tech and tiny BTEs and OTEs available now they are getting quite popular again.