Wearing hearing aid may help protect brain in later life

2 Likes

I’m going to wear two just to be sure!

2 Likes

Better hearing brings better communication, better communication brings more brain activity!

0 Likes

Hard to imagine how an objective double-blind study could be configured. In the meantime, it seems to me that studying two groups of HoH folks, one comprised of those wearing aids, and one that does not, is comparing apples to oranges. A better analogy might be comparing well-maintained frequently-driven vehicles, to rustbuckets parked in a forest of weeds. Nobody should be surprised which one is more likely to still be operational when needed. :thinking:
1 Like

Yes I believe hearing is very important to total brain health, but I have friends that are deaf, and or blind and they are very sharp even in their 70s it all depends on attitude, how we handle our disabilities

1 Like

Does this article apply to low freq reverse slop loss

0 Likes

I believe the effect would be the same. It’s all about auditory deprivation and the interactions between hearing loss and social isolation. Social isolation and cognitive decline are linked. The question is whether or not taking social isolation out of the equation (controlling for that variable) would lead to a different outcome. My guess is yes since those who use sign language and stay social into their later age would be unaffected by this hearing loss / hearing aid effect. In other words, if your hearing loss had zero impact on your social life (rarely is this the case), my guess is this effect would disappear. I think the deterioration of hearing is a sign of overall health deterioration (in typical age-related losses), but I don’t think getting a hearing aid can reverse overall health deterioration, other than through the powerful effects of enabling a healthy social life.

1 Like

No way low frequency eating clarity if amplified. Majority has modrate-sever low freq loss. If not amplified eating loudness.this is real truth no matter which brand and premium hearing aid.

0 Likes

Hmm… I definitely think that low frequency eating clarity should be amplified. I prefer to amplify my eating clarity any chance I get. Especially if ice cream is involved. :smiley:

2 Likes