Wearing cochlear processor with a jet ski

We have been thinking of purchasing a jet ski. Since I am bilateral and completely deaf without my processor, my wife has told me she wouldn’t allow me to ride a jet ski with out wearing at least one processor. I thought about using the aqua kit with the safety line and placing it in a headband designed to hold a cochlear processor. My question is will all of that be enough to protect the processor in case I fell off? The last thing I want to do is lose one.

I’ll keep my thoughts about jet skis to myself (no need to thank me!). I’ve come off sailboards at speed, and I don’t think anything is going to stay on if you fall the wrong way. I used to wear a light helmet designed for water sports with a strap under the chin. That might be your best bet if you can find one that will fit with your processor.

Having never been on a jet-ski… would you be able to hear anything anyway over the engine noise? They’re pretty fricking loud.

3 Likes

This is funny. Reminds me of years ago water skiing. Pending on how you land I have come up with no clothes on. Embarrassing but pretty funny later.
From reading the aqua kits are pretty nice. They are stated to be water proof, not water resistant like our hearing aids and processors. Not losing the processor is what you need to think about. I have owned a jet ski, they can be ridden civilly without much chance of falls if you want to.

@eniveparg One of the folks over on the MED-EL forum recommends Nammu caps for water wear, https://www.nammuhats.com/

Caveat - they have personal experience, I do not. The person recommending though is very well respected and is in some of MED-EL’s videos so I trust her (she has also been helping me through my process).

1 Like

Thank you for the input. The nammuhat looks like it would be the best option. I understand that if I fall wrong there is a good chance the processor coming off. Now to decide risk vs reward.

Jet skis are very loud. I do not wear hearing aids when on boats. Moisture is the enemy of hearing aids. I put my aids in my pocket if raining outdoors.

@Terost Loudness becomes a really different concept when you have a CI because the input dynamic range best case is only about 80 dB (that’s AB; MED-EL 75, Cochlear 40 from what I recall).

2 Likes

I can understand your wife wanting to communicate with you while operating a jet ski if its for two people. Yet in reality you won’t be communicating at all (with her) when jet ski in operation due to noise level. CI as you know don’t do well in background noise, just like hearing aids. I think it makes more sense your you to remove CI external hardware before jet skiing and then go solo. The possibility of damaging external hardware if you fall in the water is pretty high. Plus in most states you might be required to wear a helmet while jet skiing - which might not exactly fit properly due to CI location.

It could also be that she’s concerned that he may not hear something or someone approaching him if he falls off the ski. I can see that being an issue.

1 Like

That is exactly the reason. Not to mention if I stop while on the lake I wouldnt be able to hear anything since my processors would be on shore while not wearing them.

As you should know you always remove the speech processor before you bathe, shower, or swim. Now riding a jet ski doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going for a swim, but odds are the longer you do it you will eventually end up in H20. Not sure I’d want to risk damaging the speech processor every time I took off on a ski jet.

The question you need answered is the following. Can you hear with a water proof cover over the speech processor or over other external parts? If yes then you should be fine. If a water proof cover hinders using the CI, then I suggest staying land locked. Or as someone previously posted - go natural and just leave your hardware on the shore. There is also the option of a water proof CI processor, but I have no idea what it would cost.

I had a look and I have my doubts. @Raudrive lost his clothes… This is what I used to wear windsurfing: https://gathsports.com/

You would also have the option of purchasing a swimming cap. Wearing the aqua kits underneath the cap. Then you have absolutely no way of losing the processors.

Some of them are a tight fit others are a bit loser. This may be another option for you.

https://www.swimweargalore.com.au/essentials-swim-caps?

1 Like

H20 != H2O

10,000$

or should I say IO,OOO$ to make it bigger?

Thanks for the input. This is the waterproof cover i have for the cochlear.
https://store.mycochlear.com/store/index.php/usb2c/cochlear-implants/nucleus-7/aqua-accessories/nucleus-7-aqua-kit.html

This is the headband I was talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/hearinghenry-Sports-Cochlear-Implant-Headband/dp/B07Q198M4W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=EVR0EK4WFMV2&dchild=1&keywords=cochlear+implant+headband&qid=1599192557&sprefix=cochlear%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-4

I think with one of the covers mentioned about would also help secure them. I was curious if someone in the group was involved in an activity similar to this and what did they use. Everyone has given me a lot of information to help make a decision. For that, I thank everyone.

I had a look at the page for the cover and I saw that for the “most security” they recommend “Aqua+ Safety Lines and Mic Lock-Stirrups”. I think your use scenario qualifies for most security.

Not sure of your history with water sports, but the first time you know you’re going to hit the water at 50 or 60 km/h you’re mentally saying ‘whoot!’. The next time, you’re mentally saying ‘oh sh*t!’

Hard sudden Impact from falling off a jet ski is never good for someone with normal hearing, impaired hearing or wearing a CI. Many times jet skis are grossly overpowered and become out-of-control in the hands of inexperienced or younger riders, presenting a danger to the users and others in the area. Personally I’d rent a jet ski before buying and then see if its adaptable to your hearing loss.

1 Like

While some may appreciate the commentary @hold4triple I’m going to be the jerk and say that @eniveparg didn’t ask for advice on whether purchasing a jet ski was a sound decision, they asked for advice on how to keep CI processors enabled during the activity. You’ve also made some assumptions, which may or may not be correct but are certainly not fair given the information presented in this thread.

@eniveparg one thing that occurs to me is have you thought of possibly getting longer coil wires for your devices so that you could perhaps secure them in a pocket of your lifejacket (assuming that’s even a thing) and just have the coils on your head? Oh, and a quick search of “cochlear implant lifejacket watersports” turned up this site: Cochlear Implant | Swim Shirt | Rash Guard | Active Wear Shirt

2 Likes

Understand where you’re coming from phobos512 but let’s cut to the chase - OK. What you and I post doesn’t really amount to a hill of beans. In the “real world” anyone with a CI who wants to competitively wrestle (previous post) or ride ski jets with CI activated really need to (1) talk to a doctor, (2) talk to an audiologist and (3) check their CI insurance coverage. Or you can ignore that route completely and just ask for thumbs up or down on HT forum.

Don’t know about you but if I had a $50,000 plus CI (or two) I’d certainly seek out medical advice from a qualified ear doctor before I took off on my Kawasaki ski jet. I also lost a good friend a few years back in a jet ski crash due to operator negligence. So accidents do happen and jet ski operators do end up in the water for various reasons.

Safety first phobos512 and medical clearance second. Live long and prosper.