We with hearing loss have no real community

I can totally get the uninformed BIAS in a courtroom setting. Defense and prosecutor won’t even risk a shadow of a doubt about folks who use hearing devices and/or read lips, but ironically, they don’t test the hearing of ALL the jury candidates, now do they?

Ah, I was GLAD to have a doctor’s note put in my file decades ago saying “This gal’s got cinderblock ears that’ll only get worse. On top of which, she’s cranky and opinionated and will sway your other jurors based on what she thinks she’s heard.”

That’s all it took. I never got another juror notice in the mail again - across 3 states and 30+ years, LOL! Why tell anyone about Roger devices? They’d only be Doubting Thomases about the power of these devices.

2 Likes

Is any young adult in here suffering from hearing loss. I am looking to connect with others!

1 Like

@PeterH

It’s best book I’ve read.
Other books are often old and talk in code

Another good book is Volume Control. David Owen. Interesting writer

DaveL

2 Likes

Hope your well.This is a Hearing Community to share thoughts on Hearing Aids and how we can ease the burden of hearing loss as well as living with the terrible “Tinnitus” of which there is no cure.Some of us have loss and “T” through Injuries,Age,Medication Side Effects etc but thankfully Hearing Aid Manufacturers have made at least my life easier with New Technology HA and Receivers.

2 Likes

Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears my voice, I will open the door and come in and I will sup with him and he with me. Revelation 3:20.

2 Likes

Yes definitely i wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for him hearing my parents prayers or even my prayers.

3 Likes

Me too. I was excused.

Thanks everyone. I’m grateful to be able to read your posts.

I think one reason there’s less in the way of help for the hearing impaired is because it is difficult for the able bodied to understand the problem. Blindness is something people can relate to. We’ve all had the experience of bumping into furniture or stepping on toys in the dark. But deafness is something else. I read somewhere that when a passenger explained to the flight attendant that she was hard of hearing and might not respond when spoken to, the flight attendant later brought her safety instructions in braille.

8 Likes

Great analogy … and the tale of the BRAILLE instructions being handed to the hearing-impaired passenger is worthy of a New Yorker cartoon.

3 Likes

I was once told I had to be pushed on board the plane in a wheelchair because i ask for personal notifications of the boarding due to my hearing loss.
People need to be trained, and that training needs to start in kindergarten and all the way up throughout their lives.

3 Likes

Hey, I may be pushing 70, but in my mind I’m only 7. Is that too young for ya? :wink:

5 Likes

I am now 76. I hike the forest trails as much at 10 miles in a day. The key is stay active.

6 Likes

Scooter relaxing after our hike, he is my ears on the trail.

9 Likes

Scooter looks very happy, made me smile

1 Like

Being offered a wheelchair when announcing one is hearing-impaired is fairly benign. When people notice my HAs I often get the impression they believe I must also be mentally impaired.

5 Likes

I remember Jack Straw (UK Home Secretary under Tony Blair) championing our cause. His statement was: “I’m deaf, not daft”. I say to others: “I understand your frustration in having to repeat yourself, but when the information gets in, I can make better judgement”. I’ve become pretty assertive, as I’m not ready to withdraw from society.

Peter

3 Likes

I have had someone tell me I was rude because I asked her to repeat what she said, I replied "no I am not the rude person you are for not respecting my disability ". There was a number of other people waiting in line and all i heard was clapping of hands.

5 Likes

OMG! I’d DOG-nap him in a NY minute. Is he like a Shiba Inu? Give a HUG from me. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes he is a Shiba Inu, very independent and head strong, but also very loving when he is ready. He is curled up on my lap and sleeping at this time. It is a rainy spring day today.

2 Likes