Wax guard question

Is there an average time when most of you need to change a wax guard?? Two days into a trial I needed one, and now 4 weeks later, I changed it out again. Both the same ear, which tends to be my waxiest.

It really depends on the induvidual ear. So mostly change it on a need to basis. Wax tends to be produced more when you are stressed on anxious or unwell. Some ears have very little wax, some lots. Some wax is wet which requires more wax guard changes. Some wax is dry, which can then just be brushed from the wax guard, without having to replace it.

You tend to captue more wax ealy one in hearing aid usage as the wax had time to build up a bit. As you use the aids, you remove a little every day so less frequency wax guard changes might be needed.

Typically new users go through wax guards more at first then they do long term. Some wax guards can be carefully cleaned with alcohol once they have been removed and then reused. Good lighting and a magnifying glass is a must.

The import thing is to closely monitor your wax guards. A partially plugged wax guard equals a hearing aid with poor sound quality.

Yesterday I went to a movie. The aid cut out during the film. I assumed it was another wax guard. BUT it was a battery which did not sound any alarm. Is this normal as well that some just quit on you with no warning??

I changed the wax guard and it still did not work, so I exchanged the battery and it was fine.

This afternoon I heard a faint beep like the battery was going. I replaced it, and the start-up beep was very faint. I went to Radio Shack; had the battery checked and it was full, but I got no power. bought a battery tester. Now all seems to be OK, with 2 battery changes. I seem to be wasting batteries, right?? Why??

KarenK,

Monitor battery battery use in both aids for a couple of weeks. This should tell you if one aid is using batteries faster which means it may have a problem.

Meanwhile:

Open the battery doors at night and any time the aids are not in use.

Keep the battery compartment and battery door clean and free of any moisture from condinsation.

Get a good magnifying glass and use it in good light to inspect the microphone ports where sound goes in as well as the wax guard, dome and even under the wax guard where sound comes out.

Get a couple of packs of batteries from a different source and use them for the next few weeks

I was experiencing static in both my hearing aids. Battery changes did nothing. Neither the audi nor the manufacturer could find the problem. I finally discovered I had a bad batch of batteries.

My ears have always produced a large amount of wax. The Japanese have an ear pick that has a tiny spoon end which I use carefully, every day, to remove wax and moisture after my shower. I have had no wax build up for years. A Japanese drug store may have the ear pick, but you can’t find it in an American store. I presume it is considered a risk to the eardrum.

I have a call into the Audi. Now I hear the power-on signal, but then nothing. I had been hearing a hiss, and that is gone, too.

I wonder, could it be a bad aid??

I bought a battery tester and nearly all the batteries had some power - only one was officially dead.

The above replies are all very good advice. I would add: Buy fresh batteries by purchasing batteries with a long time remaining before their “expiration date”; and from a location that has sells a large amount of HA batteries - this will also insure their freshness and limited exposure to heat (during shipping and storage).

I DID buy new batteries, PowerOnes, from Localbattery.com and they are dated 2011.

My next appt is next Tuesday, and they are booked today and closed Friday. Argh.

KarenK

I am willing to walk you through some simple trouble shooting procedures to see if we can revive the aid. I am working today and Friday.

If want to do it you will need to have good light, a magnifying glass and little time - maybe 10 minutes. PM me and I will send our phone number. It is no problem and I do it regularly with our customers.