Volume control action

Hi, simple question, what happens to the values of the settings when you increase the volume on your aids?
Does it increase gain across the whole spectrum or what?
Mike

@michael1

This is what happens with Phonak.

Think other brands might vary?

Thanks zebras. Ironically I’m still on spice. Increasing volume is causing muffled voices. Trying to get into the clinic but long waiting list to get onto the waiting list.

Have you considered DIY, much more convenient then having to wait on other people.

@michael1

It’s on the Spice Platform as well.

What Aids do you have?

:slight_smile:

@michael1

Oh hang on, think I got confused with FlexControl and FlexVolume?

It still makes no sense to me tho.

Yeah, Flex Volume would be the one to go for, the OP is obviously using Flex control that would explain the “muffled” sound.
I wonder, is it possible to plug the pilot one remote control into a PC (using USB cable) and use target to change this setting?

Ah okay.

I’ve never touched my volume ever since getting digital Aids so I have no idea how it works.

:slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure Target allows you to switch between FlexVolume and FlexControl?

I’ll check, hang on.

EDIT - got it wrong, you can change between Volume and FlexVolume on the Phonak Nathos S+ which I think the OP has.

:frowning:

1 Like

Hi, I’m on NHS nathos spw. If I get into the clinic I’ll try for nathos auto because I’m sure I’m down across the range.

@michael1

You’re on the first generation Nathos that came out in 2008 which is actually based on the Core platform.

You’re definitely allowed an upgrade.

There’s the new Phonak Nathos Nova or Phonak Naida M70 SP if hearing loss is too severe for the Nathos Nova.

Looking at your audiogram, you’ll likely get the Phonak Naida M70 SP.

1 Like

Hi, sorry but missed out S+ on my aid which is spice and has flex volume. I was trying to understand if the aid has more headroom or If I will need UP range next time. As I understand the article you posted, flex volume just ups the gain across the range but flex control adjusts different scenarios more specifically in soundflow.
I’ve had a test at Specsavers which shows a 10 Db average loss across my posted audiogram, I’m hoping this will get me on the list for my NHS clinic. If not then I will likely go DIY.

Any idea what your word recognitions scores are like? Adding 10 Db loss to your posted audiogram makes you a possible Cochlear implant candidate.

@michael1

@MDB

Here’s the UK requirement for a CI.

severe to profound deafness is defined as hearing only sounds that are louder than 80 dB HL (pure-tone audiometric threshold equal to or greater than 80 dB HL) at 2 or more frequencies (500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, 2,000 Hz, 3,000 Hz and 4,000 Hz) bilaterally without acoustic hearing aids. Adequate benefit from acoustic hearing aids is defined for this guidance as.

Never had word recognition. My feeling is I can be ok with the right aids. Compilot streaming is more than loud enough.

Adding 10 dB of loss to his current loss would seem to meet audiogram criteria. Seems like the definition of adequate benefit from hearing aids is cut off in your post. I assume it has something to do with word recognition scores.

Sorry here it is -

• for adults, a phoneme score of 50% or greater on the Arthur Boothroyd word test presented at 70 dBA
  • for children, speech, language and listening skills appropriate to age, developmental stage and cognitive ability.

Thanks! Interesting that they use a phoneme test. I thought it was more common to use a full sentence word recognition test.

Am I right in thinking that test needs Noah software?
Going back to my op what does loosing clarity with increase in volume (flex volume) suggest?