Vitamins and hearing loss

I have heard some vitamins help with hearing loss, but may just be advertising. Also, heard vitamins don’t help at all.
Has anyone used certain vitamins and think they really do help?

Certain vitamins can help improve the ear circulation.

i have taken vitamin tablets for 2years + sturgeon forte for 2 year as per prescription + healthy diet+ sleep of 6-8 hour regular but not improved. i have detected loss from 2006

Age-related hearing loss may be retrievable, according to Dr. Jonathan Wright, MD, medical director of the Tahoma Clinic in Washington.

By supplementing three patients with the bioidentical hormone aldosterone, all of the men – who were either losing their hearing or who had lost a lot of their hearing – were able to regain much of what hearing that had been lost. In one case, an 87-year-old man was diagnosed with hearing loss in 1994 was found to have low aldosterone levels. After six weeks of taking aldosterone, the man visited his audiologist and found that his hearing had increased 30-50 decibels in one ear, and 20-30 in the other. His ability to discriminate words from a noisy background also increased significantly.

He also speaks about the benefit of certain Vitamins at: http://earmolds.info/hearing-loss-treatment/**

The site you sent for Dr. Johnathan Wright came up invalid no longer. (earmolds.info/hearing-loss-treatment).

That Article was being updated at that time and added an additional study:
http://earmolds.info/treatment-to-reduce-hearing-loss/
A new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found a strong connection between eating two or more servings of some fish per week and a decreased risk of hearing loss.

IMO, if your diet is well balanced and not lacking in basic nutrients, taking vitamins isn’t going to have a significant effect on hearing loss progression, and it certainly isn’t going to restore your hearing.

One possible but important exception that applies only to one specific type of hearing loss is fluoride supplements for otosclerosis. Legitimate objective studies have indicated that sodium fluoride or calcium fluoride may slow the progression of otosclerosis. The findings aren’t as definitive as one might like, but a number of otolaryngologists with no connection to supplement manufacturers suggest that their patients with otosclerosis should take fluoride supplements.

Do a search on this, and then try to find any equally legitimate studies indicate that supplements benefit neural hearing loss. Also search for old posts on this forum. This subject has been discussed before.

I’ll look into it, thanks.

Many decades ago, I was told by a doc at the House Clinic in L.A. that I should take a daily multi-B vitamin for my nerve-related deafness and FLUSHING niacin to keep the blood rushing into my ears at least once a day.

I faithfully followed that advice for the next 20 years, but then I started to almost get an itchy rash with the flushing niacin - it really made me RED from head to toe! The multi-B vitamin I need to get back on, as I’m only taking B12 twice a week.

I’d also taken gingko for many years, having heard on the radio that it helped those with tinnitus. But no matter how many years I took that, I still have the identical ringing in my ears that I’ve had since I was 14.

I’ve been taking Omega-3 for a couple years now, and hope that helps, cuz I’m vegan and don’t eat any fish.

In general, I think that eating healthy and getting a daily moderate workout of an hour is the best thing for overall circulation and ear health (as the two are related).

:You know another thing is when I take Vit C powder from time to time I hear better, but I think the c powder keeps my sinus and allergies clear. Maybe that’s it? I guess nothing really helps except what you said healthy foods, workout and I’ve notices depression and stress effects my hearing. Thank you

^^^ Stress makes my sinuses go N U T S!!! Luckily that’s only the nose-cone area, my ears are the same non-functional doorknobs no matter what.

However, changes in barometric pressure make my tinnitus go CUCKOO! My ears either ring LOUDER or go BONG-BONG-BONG! till they normalize. Ah well, at least I’m a very reliable weathervane.

This is my favourite sentence of the day.

Well, allergies and sinus affects my hearing. As I here from you, it only effects your nose-cone area, right?

I don’t have tinnitus. I so love your comments.

Thanks! :slight_smile:
An idea comes to me about your allergies and sinus affliction: have you got an air filter at home? I have one upstairs in the living room (where I sit most of the day) and downstairs in the computer room. We have a LOT of pollen where I live, and I suffer seasonal allergies which would be way worse without the air filters.

Of course a bubble-suit would be even better, but such a hassle using the bathroom and making 3 meals a day in that contraption. <:-(0)

Yes. thought about air filters in home, but too lazy to buy some. Since we have shedding cats hair plus pollen thank you for suggesting this. I must get to it. What kind of air filters do you recommend, Hepa?

Unlike prescription medicine, over-the-counter supplements are not regulated by government in the US. So even if the claims are true, and in general, there is no real scientific evidence that supplements help reduce or prevent hearing loss or most other medical issues, you don’t know that you’re getting what you’re paying for when you buy these supplements. My advice is to avoid all of these products for hearing issues.

Yap, you are right. If, in fact, supplements worked then we would hear from the population of hearing loss people their testimonies.

I have two of these Blue Air Purifiers Model 411 at home, which I bought at Amazon.com. They are very contemporary-looking cubes that come in 3 sizes, depending on the room’s square footage.

They are SUPER DUPER quiet, no kidding. You can wash the colorful stretchy cover that comes with them (I have yellow, blue & black).

Oh goodie, you got me going. I’ll put it on my wish list at Amazon.