Very sore ears

Remag1234, would you be able to post a shot of those titanium molds? I go in to pick up my new silicone custom molds in a week, and IF I turn out to be allergic to that material, perhaps I could send my new impressions in to Phonak for the titanium ones?

OOOOOOHHHHHH. Fingers crossed I’ll just be okay with the silicone ones, but I have a history of allergic reactions in my EARS only. Like the skin in them is from a Martian? :robot:

image image0031

They been delayed for 2 weeks. I’ll post pix as soon as I receive them.

Is this a picture of a titanium earpiece?! DO TELL! It looks real similar to the typical silicone power double-dome in shape.

Yes, those are pictures of the Titanium earmold from Phonak documentation.

Wow those are cool! Can anyone tell me why titanium would be a better choice than silicone? Also, aren’t they relatively inflexible (albeit light as a feather!)?

My problem is swollen ear canals every morning when I wake up. My ear canals tolerate the double-dome silicone tips, but the flesh colored HARD plastic earmold was tolerated the best - no idea why! I had to give them up a couple years ago cuz I couldn’t JAM them in my swollen ears every morning. At least the current, smoke topaz colored silicone double domes have more “give” to them.

And even then, a couple times a year I have to swap on a (S/M) dome on the left receiver cuz the size (L) simply HURTS in that ear.

For now, I’ll see how the custom silicone ear tips do when I pick them up next Mon. But a proper SEAL is KING with HAs, for ensuring the optimum sound quality.

I think the point is that some people have silicone sensitivities in their skin. Titanium is a very inert, un-reactive metal. It is often used in electrodes or other applications where you don’t want a metal to chemically react, corrode, etc. My educated guess would be that titanium produces fewer sensitivity reactions against people’s skin. To wit, some people use titanium earrings because they have silver or gold sensitivities.

I would expect them to be [relatively] inflexible but no worse to use than hard Lucite earmolds.

2 Likes

Titanium is considered medically inert. I have a 20 cm titanium rod and three titanium screws in my left femur. I know folks who have had knee and hip replacements using titanium in those new joints as well.

This is GREAT to know! I have a horrible Lucite/acrylic sensitivity in my ears - no matter if the manufacturer says they are “hypoallergenic”.

But IF I’m sensitive to the molded silicone tips, I’ll spare no expense to get titanium ones made. As a test, I wore one of my silicone swimming plugs in ONE ear for an entire night. No prob the next morning!

I’m eager to try the new tips out, and will have my answer by early next week after I’ve worn them for a few 14-hr days.

1 Like

OK! Reporting in after wearing my new, 100% molded silicone receiver tips for 2 days now. These tips are NOT soft and squishy like the double domes I’d had on before. They DO have a slight give, so they are better than anything that’s rock hard: plastic, acrylic, et al. They seem to slide right in pretty easy, too - even in the morning when I have swollen ear canals.

I had a SORE left ear after wearing the tips for a full day. So my aud-guy shaved off a teensy bit on that side. I may have to go back for a bit more shaving … Main thing is to NOT shove these way in the ear as far as they go. They should provide a good seal with a comfortable fit - so I’ll have to reign in my impulse to jam them in like I’d been doing with the power domes.

They still attach to the same wires (no tubes), and these tips come with a dainty little leash to pull them out of the ear. I was told to NOT use that leash (ha ha!) cuz it will tear right off. Instead, I should work the receiver out of my ear by pressing against the back of my ear with my thumb, then gently removing it. So far so GOOD!

Initially the sound quality was harsh! Yikes! Turns out these molded ear tips came with pretty big vent holes. So my aud-guy plugged them up enough to not cause occlusion but give me better sound quality.

I am cautiously optimistic that I’m NOT allergic to the material, but would like to wear them continuously for a good week to find out. If that works out, I’ll use the same impressions taken and swap out my power domes on my backup aids for the silicone tips. We shall see!

4 Likes

OK. Update on the silicone tips! It’s been about 2 mos with these new silicone tips on my Phonak Marvel aids. During that time, I’ve travelled quite a bit from the mile-high, near dessert humidity where I live to coastal areas dripping with moisture!

Turns out, my ear canals swell even MORE in humid places. I finally resorted to wearing my backup aids upon waking - and for about 3 hours first thing in the morning. These aids have the old double-dome power domes on them. The left dome is a smidgeon too small for that ear, so I get a bit of squeaky leakage, but I can live with that.

After a few hours, I remove the backup aids and put my Marvel aids in with the silicone tips. These now fit in the ears after the swelling has gone down.

I snipped the irritating leashes OFF the silicone tips. Dang things are about 1/4" long and all they ever did was stand straight OUT my ear like some kind of weirdo antenna! They rubbed and poked the ear cup to no end. I just work the silicone tips out of my ear canal by pushing gently on the back of my ear and then grabbing the actual ear wire to pull them out slowly.

It’s the best I can do: I need TWO pairs of aids with TWO different tips on them to get through the day. Chalk it up to age, humidity, and the picayunity of my own ear canals.

About a few years ago, I was having some bad soreness with both my ears. I went to my doctor, said it was possible an ear infection. Wanted to prescribe some anti-biotic ear drops at $85 for a little vial, which my insurance wouldn’t pay for.

So, I made him re-write me a prescription for oral anti-biotics in which the cost was much less. Seven days of that, and things were seeming to get a little better.

A week later, back in the same shape, very sore ears. And againback to the doctor for another prescription of yet another anti-biotic. This time a ten day’s supply worth.

And again, no relief.

After that, I was in Walmart’s pharmacy section looking to see what was available as far as over the counter ear drops went? I spotted these little bottles of “Swimmer’s Ear Drops”, and bought a bottle. Not much money, and figured what did I have to lose.

While the drops are recommended to be dribbled into the ear for a period of time, I simply squeezed 2-3 drops of the product onto a Q-Tip and applied to my ear canal. One which was actually bleeding slightly.

After 2-3 days the problem I had seemed to magically go away. I got very fast results and relief oddly. I have no idea why?

A couple more times I had it re-occur, not as bad, but reached for those drops. And again they quickly relieved the pains, and since then have had zero problems with any pains, swelling-etc.

Might be worth a try for little dollars and see this product offers you some relief? Hope this helps.

Swimmer’s Ear Drops, at least the ones below from CVS, are just isopropyl alcohol and glycerine. They’re marketed as a “drying aid” for ears. Might be just the thing @1Bluejay needs.

CVS Health Ear Drops for Swimmers, 1 OZ

Update:
Taking a look at the small ,33oz (10ml) bottle I had more recently bought from Walmart, the bottle is simply labeled Homeopathic “Earache Drops”, and it is their Equate Brand.

I have no idea what’s in this stuff, but at least in my case found that it works very well. Read it and says Citric Acid, Purified Water, Sodium Benzoate, Vegetable Glycerine. (says "comparable to Hyland’s Earache Drops)

The slight bleeding in my ear canal that has happened a couple of times also seemed to quickly heal as well.

Thanks, good data point.

Ha ha on the “homeopathic”. I’ve had some experience in homeopathy and it doesn’t sound like anything homeopathic to me. Ah, marketing.

But it DOES sound like we’re finding a common denominator – Glycerine.

Haggis,
I finally bit the bullet today: NO aids at all in left ear. It seems to have a compression-type sore on a spot just inside the ear canal where these new silicone tips rub against. I’m taking no chances for any further damage.

I daubed some Bacitracin on, and hope that in a day or so I’ll be able to get ANY aid in that ear. For me, wearing just one aid in the right ear is almost useless. My right ear comprehension is pathetic compared to the left ear.

Hunker down mode now … looks like I’ll need to have my audi shave a bit off the silicone dome so it fits better.

1 Like

Vinegar and rubbing alcohol works very well for swimmer’s ear.

Bluejay, I love your adjectives. “Dainty little leash” made me smile. Have you ever had impressions taken first thing in the morning? So odd that your ears swell at night. I wonder if it would go down if you angled your bed as people with reflux do.