Very short high-frequency pulse triggered by sounds (phonak audeo p70-r)

I received my first set of hearing aids today (phonak audeo p70-r) and have been trying to get used to them. I noticed a strange artifact in my left device; I will occasionally get a high-frequency (close to 3500 hertz, hard to be accurate) low decibel pulse that accompanies other sounds. I do not notice it during normal conversation or when there is a lot of other sound - usually only when the environment is quiet and a sound stands out (like, as I type this message in a quiet room and hear the clacking of my keys). Through experimentation, I found that if I touch the wire I do not hear the sound. If I reposition/reseat the device in my canal, the sound seems to disappear for while, but eventually comes back.

Any ideas what it is, and how to correct it? (I will obviously follow up with my audiologist - just seeing if anyone had any thoughts to share here)

It sounds like it could be feedback,

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Chuck, I’ll wager $1 on a frequency lowering artifact!

It could be, I don’t no much about that, only what I have read on this forum

1 Like

Me neither, Chuck, but I’m casting my lot just for the heck of it!

How would I know for sure? And more importantly, how do I stop it (aside from taking the HA out and/or turning it off)?

With my hearing loss if I loss my high frequencies my choices are CI or just be deaf

This is feedback.
Sharing your audiogram and what domes/acoustics you use would help us help you.
It’s all about getting your aids properly set up for you. Then the aids can do their best job.

I’m sorry, Chuck - I’m not making the connection?:thinking:

Spot on! The fact the op can touch the receiver wire, or reseat the dome or mold certainly points to that.
My guess is ill fitting dome or mold causing the feedback.

1 Like

My hearing loss is severe from 1500 to 4000 already, and slowly getting worse. My Audiologist says there isn’t anyway for me to do frequency lowering if I lose my high frequencies.

Oh . Okay. I didn’t realize we were talking about your hearing loss. I was referring to the OP’s issue.

1 Like

We are talking about the OP’s original issue.
At least I am.

1 Like

I know. I was talking to Chuck, if the reply link is showing. (Which it isn’t.)

Thanks, Raudrive. My audiologist also thinks it is a matter of feedback and the dome not fitting well within my ear canal. She gave me a number of different domes to try out. I tried a larger dome yesterday, and it only had a marginal positive impact. I am trying a “power dome” today, which seems to basically be a double dome. I don’t have custom molded domes. I can share my audiogram if it is truly helpful - in short, my hearing loss starts off 35db for low frequencies and drops off to 83db for high frequencies.

A general rule of thumb for earmolds is 40 dB hearing loss into the 2000 hertz area. So if your hearing loss is 40 dB or worse at 2000 hertz custom earmolds might be what you need. This is not an absolute but usually something to be considered.

Fascinating. Do you happen to know the science behind that?

Not an expert by any means.
As your hearing loss gets worse the hearing aids have to get louder to compensate. Vented acoustics leak this sound back to the microphones of the hearing aids. This causes feedback.

Earmolds minimize this leakage that causes feedback.
Layman explanation without getting lengthy.

3 Likes