Very High Pitched Noise on top of Sounds

I really don’t how to describe this, but sometimes like when watching TV, over the sound coming out of the speaker I get a very high pitched noise in my ears. The high pitch is almost like an echo or sound over the speaker sound?

I don’t have hearing aids yet, and this does not occur all the time. My wife does not hear it and in theory if it was indeed coming from the speaker my hearing loss would not enable me to hear.

Is this Tinnitus or a form of it?

Wm,
It’s probably Tinnitus, there are several web sites that you can go to that allow you to hear various tones that will allow you to pinpoint the level of the high pitched noise you are hearing. Do a Google search of Tinnitus and you will find them.

I would ask your wife how loud you have the TV.

With an untreated hearing loss as bad as yours I would guess you really have to crank it up. This can cause the TV not to sound as clear as it should, much like a car is more ‘happy’ at 3000 RPM than 8000 RPM.

Then there is the issue of ‘recruitment’ which you might also Google. It’s the over sensitivity to loud noise. If you are cranking the volume up high you may be making certain frequencies of sound louder than is comfortable.

Modern hearing aids will help you hear better and can be set so that they don’t make sounds quieter than you hear, or louder than you find comfortable.

Well my TV is loud enough my poor wife can hear clearly upstairs. I did Google “recruitment” and here is the result.
> http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/recruitment.htm

So the longer you go without hearing aids for a loss the more recruitment damage?
Thanks for the reply.

I thought that was a terrible article on recruitment!

Basically, there are around 30,000 nerves in the cochlea. Some perceive sound and send a message to the brain (like keys on a piano in that article). But what most people don’t realize is that once the brain has heard a sound, a message is sent back to the cochlea (afferent and efferent nerves). This causes hair cells corresponding to the heard frequency stiffening which acts to protect the ear from louder sounds.

People with a SNHL will often find as a result of this damage to the protection mechanism find that not only are quiet sounds too quiet to hear properly, but loud sounds are too loud to be comfortable. Most people don’t really consider this byproduct of a hearing loss.

I’m not sure it is proven that recruitment always gets worse with time or that not wearing aids will increase this effect at all.

Also recruitment differs from one person to another depending on where the damage is in the cochlea.

So back to my original hypothesis, I was suggesting that if you have to turn the TV up real loud to make sense of it, some of the treble on the TV could be hitting that uncomfortable loudness level at certain frequencies which then causes annoyance.

Just a thought.

Wmgeorge I have moderate recruitment problem and most audiologists have no idea how to properly adjust compression levels. If you have recruitment issues your first question to ask your audio is regarding his/hers experience in resolving this problem. I had no luck with ENT audi with my Widex aids or Costo dispenser and on my next appointment ReSound rep will be present. If that does not work I move on to Starkey. ZCT said in one of his posts that there is GD ? button on Starkey software to call Starkey rep for help if needed. Good luck.

That’s true, there is a button and it pages an actual audiologist at the lab who is an expert at Starkey and usually a doctor of audiology. They are pretty good trouble shooters, and the button allows them to remote into the hearing professional’s computer and remote control it. I’ve only used it once when a software glitch got me locked out of some hearing aids I was trying to program, never because I couldn’t do my job. Just wanted to put that out there, because it makes me sad that hearing professionals are sometimes too lazy to learn their trade properly.

However, let me say this, as far as I know, provided you put UCL and threshold hearing test results into the fitting software, most fitting algorithms are going to take recruitment into account automatically.

So ask yourself, did the hearing professional play you various sounds that got louder and louder until you told him to stop? And then you just need to ask him if he put that data into the fitting of the hearing aids. Then there are some fitting formulas like NAL-NL2 that are heavy on compression by default.

So provided he does all the proper tests and puts the data in, the aids should already take a lot of this stuff into account for them. Of course if he has skipped tests, or not entered all the data correctly, the aids won’t know to do that.

ZCT after reading your post I realized that the solution for my moderate recruitment by ReSound rep did not go far enough. You have stated that some of the treble on the TV could be hitting UCL at certain frequencies causing annoyance. This is exactly what is happening to me. I have tried treble adjustment on my Tv with no luck. Unfortunately I have to wait until 3/8/2012 for Resound rep to come back.