Vent vs no vent

Ok, so I had my hearing checked again today and my audi suggested that I get earmolds with no vents. I’ve heard that these can be difficult to adjust to, so I wanted to get some feedback from others who have gone though this transition. Right now I’m doing pretty well with my current molds with a small vent, but any improvement would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I got the soft Westone molds with the adjust-a-vent. It comes with a rather large vent and a set of vent plugs in different calibers, so you can put in the vent size plug that works best for you, from completely blocked, to completely open, and several stops in between. You could even use different vents for different circumstances.

Don, that’s a great idea! Many thanks!

Currently my earmolds have a small vent, but I really don’t have much direct hearing anymore so not sure how much the vents help. I also have very narrow canals, so the molds mostly just fill the volume outside the canal.

In any case, I will look onto these!

With your loss, you need narrow vents to prevent feedback. However, you may find the soft molds more comfortable. Your comfort may be improved with a product like Eargene.

With your loss, acoustically, you do not need vents. I would recommend soft ear molds, but whether you get soft or hard technically does not matter. Either way, if I were the fitter, I almost always order a pressure vent. Then I try it in the office plugged up with a reducer. If I get no feedback and it feels ok to you, great. If I get feedback or if you feel a uncomfortably plugged up, it is an easy thing to pull out or make larger.

have you researched frequency lowering technologies?

He won’t get it.

Thanks. My audi did suggest this, though I think I have some of this capability already on my Phonak Naidas. I don’t really have any hearing anymore in the mid-to-high frequencies, so I’m sure this would help. Actually, I don’t have a lot of hearing anywhere, but the highs are the worst.

You’re right, I don’t.

Not you Mr. Hammond. That was directed at doubledown who, despite the fact that he is not a hearing care professional of any type, makes prescriptive statements as if he were a seasoned Research Audiologist with a PhD. In his case that PhD stands for piled high and deep. He is consistently pounding the pulpit for “audibility extender” or “binaural beam forming” which fascinates him, IMO, because they sound nifty rolling off the tongue. He is so hellbent on them that one can safely say that he drank the Koolaide. Hence the cartoon.

find an audiologist you can trust

I would get a price quote from your audi

ROTFLMAO. Accidents happen all the time. And some folks are happy to wear a broken wrist watch. They know it will be right twice a day. What is your favorite flavor BTW?

That is class. Or are you an Ego-Maniac too?

What’s up your ass?

Nothing - DD called me an Ego-Maniac in the other thread - I wondered if he’d conferred the same title on you?

Nicer, I suppose, than being told “you’re not very bright”. I’ve been called a lot of things but stupid isn’t usually one of them. Nevertheless being that the accusation comes from an intellectual giant like dd I may have to reconsider. :stuck_out_tongue: