Using Phonak TV Connector with Roger MyLink

I have Phonak Audeo M90-RT h/a and use them with a Phonak TV Connector and a Phonak Roger Pen. My wife bought a Phonak Roger MyLink to receive TV audio and translate it to telecoil, which she can select on her Siemens h/a. That doesn’t work. However, by placing the Roger Pen near the TV it acoustically picks up the TV speaker audio and the Roger MyLink works fine in detecting the signal from the Pen and getting it to her h/a via telecoil setting. Since the TV Connector works fine with my M90 hearing aids, and so does the Roger Pen, why does its signal not get through the Roger MyLink the same as it does with my hearing aids, while the Roger Pen does?

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the T Coil has been activated in the Target software.

1 Like

Thanks, but that’s not it. By Target software I assume you mean the settings for my wife’s Siemens h/a.
As I first wrote, she can receive signal from the Roger Pen via the MyLink which requires and means that her Siemens h/a are indeed set on telecoil. I can only surmise that the TV Connector sends its audio by a different signaling means or frequency than do the Roger devices, a means not received by the Roger MyLink, and that if so, my Phonak Marvel M90-RT h/a are equipped to receive both types of signals. I’ll try to reach Phonak customer service to see if they can shed further light on the matter.

I’m not familiar with Phonak but I have a Mylink and Roger pen on order from Access to Work. From what I remember from the advisor visiting (was months ago though!) is that the Mylink is for connecting Roger products to hearing aids that can’t accept Roger receivers and direct input shoes. I don’t think it will connect to general Phonak products

The TV Connector streams signals to your Phonak HAs by something called AirStream. It doesn’t work on telecoil.

1 Like

I think that Roger pen also uses airstream. If that’s the case and if pen can stream to my link, question is why tv connector which uses same tech, can’t do it directly as well. At least that’s how I understood OP question.

My guess, it might be the case that even though phonak both tech calls with the same name, their in reality they aren’t. Or, more likely, tv connector is locked to marvel and venture platforms (or whichever was before marvels), while my link isn’t. If you check compatibility with devices, I think you’ll notice that accessories aren’t universally compatible.

And even though your m90 and my link both have roger receivers in it, so pen works for both of you, my link doesn’t have tech for tv connector or is locked. Or in other words, pen uses roger receiver, while tv connector needs something else.

Phonak tech info is soo complicated to find :frowning: I think best bet is to ask how can your wife use my link to connect to tv as well. And squeeze answers from them. Good luck.

I don’t think it does. It uses the 2.4 ghz channel which is the same channel as WiFi.

I found that pen iN uses 2.4 ghz, they don’t call it airstream in their specs. For regular pen I see only bluetooth, can’t find other specs.

AirStream is also 2.4 ghz, of course proprietary.

Phonak makes good devices but naming isn’t their strong suit :joy:

Ah, okay, then it is very confusing, lol!

That 2.4 ghz frequency range has a bunch of different uses, not just Bluetooth. We have members who get really deep into this subject. Do a search, lots of information.

Thank you KimUK, Blacky, Zebras, and Raudrive. I spoke today with Julius at Phonak customer service. He confirmed and shed further light on what has been variously discussed here.

The Phonak TV Connector uses a proprietary form of Bluetooth transmission which some have called Airstream. Therefore that signal is not received by the Roger MyLink, which only receives signals from Roger microphones. My Audeo Marvel M90-RT hearing aids, however, receive Airstream, Roger and Bluetooth signals, the latter being how my iPhone is connected. All three signal types are in the same 2.4 GHz range but use different modulation techniques; Julius believes that each of those discrete techniques are digital modulation waveforms.

Our solution is for me to continue using the TV Connector to my Audeo Marvel hearing aids. I have the TV Connector (which receives an optical audio feed) connected to a remote control power switch which sits behind the TV but can “see” the on/off signals from its little remote, so that I don’t have to hear TV audio in my H/As all the time that the TV is on and I’m in proximity.

My wife now listens using a Roger EasyPen, left in its always powered charger/base which is wired directly to a TV audio source, so the EasyPen is not picking up acoustically. The charger/base receives audio (electrically, not optically) from the headphone jack of a surround sound speaker system that mutes when the cord from the EasyPen’s base is plugged in, but we don’t really care about the room speakers when watching, because we both now have audio directly into our ears. The Roger EasyPen must be connected/paired to the Roger MyLink just as would hearing aids, so the MyLink was placed near the EasyPen whose connect button was held in order to pair the two. The MyLink of course sends telecoil audio to her Siemens H/As which are set on telecoil for that purpose, as needed.

I had previously connected/paired the Roger EasyPen with my H/As but erased that connection since the EasyPen is now always on in its base. If the TV happens to be on, I don’t want to hear it via its Roger signal when I’m incidentally in proximity.

Therefore, I can select to hear the TV in my H/As by clicking the remote for the switched power feed to the TV Connector. She can listen to the TV by putting the MyLink around her neck and switching her H/As to telecoil. Otherwise, we can listen to the TV speaker in the normal fashion, or to the surround sound speaker system when its powered on, by just backing the plug from the Roger EasyPen base out of its headphone jack.

I should note for those not aware that there is a major difference between Phonak’s MyLink and its Roger MyLink: the two are for incompatible types of microphones! The older MyLink (no longer made) is for use with FM microphones, which typified the previous generation of Phonak products. It does not work with Phonak Roger devices! (As a result of my ignorance when first sourcing this, I now have two of them for sale on eBay if someone needs one for an older remote microphone.) The Roger MyLink is specifically for Roger devices, and will not work with the older FM mikes. Roger MyLinks have serial numbers beginning with “13” or higher, while the older ones have lower numbers at the front end. They also say “Roger MyLink” at the top end of the faceplate, as opposed to the older ones whose label says “MyLink.” Of course, both types are for use with non-Roger capable hearing aids of any manufacturer that are equipped for telecoil, but you must have the right kind of MyLink for the microphone you’re using.

Everything which I’ve written about the EasyPen should also apply to the Pen, since the differences between them are few and are unrelated to this discussion.

Additionally, just for fun I listened to the TV via the MyLink with my Phonak H/As set on telecoil (my Marvel Audeo model is the M90-RT, the “T” indicating telecoil capability). Then I took off the MyLink and turned on the TV Connector, listening directly from it as I normally do. I noted that the telecoil signal was more what is called “communications quality” in the two-way radio business, where equipment is specifically and intentionally limited to provide speaker audio in the 300 - 3,000 Hz range as opposed to anything one might call high fidelity. The TV connector to my H/As was a much fuller range sound. Julius from Phonak confirmed this is as expected, because telecoil is an older technology in which the frequency response is more limited. My wife’s still pleased, because she has profound hearing loss in one ear as a result of a sinus infection where the treating doctors were ignorant of the need to immediately prescribe steroids to prevent the permanent inner ear damage which resulted. So now with the telecoil signal going directly into her H/As she’s doing a lot better than what she got audio acoustically from the surround sound speakers, let alone from the TV internal speaker. We still use closed captioning just because it’s like having a belt and suspenders, especially useful when watching British programming! :smiley:

1 Like

Well written and very well explained.
Thanks