Using hearing aids in aircraft

How do others deal with (flight) noise in aircraft?
None of the noise cancellation/ attenuation modes on my Phonak Naida 90 UP can handle it. Also, BTE models place microphones behind the ear, so how do you use headphones to listen to on oats movies? Thanks!

1 Like

I wear over the ear headphones that are big enough to go round my ears and BTE hearing aids.

7 Likes

If I can use radio, I’ll hook my Roger On up to the 3.5mm jack with the media cable and it gets beamed into my ears. If I couldn’t use my Roger, my Sennheiser headset works OK. As @Zebras says, the cups go over your ears+HAs.

WH

2 Likes

I just turn off the aids.

3 Likes

I use noise cancelling headphones over my ears and HA’s, then stream from phone or computer to the HA’s.

7 Likes

I purchased a Bose quiet comfort headphones to use on planes. I put the headphones right over my ears in the plane and I don’t hear outside noise. These headphones plug into the armrest jack and you can listen to radio or watch movies. They also work great against cabin noise as well.

1 Like

Over the last 10 year, I tell the flight crew that I am deaf and tell them I have to take my HA’s out. Then remove them once taxing to the runway. (always sit in an aisle seat).

2 Likes

Too everyone else that has suggested wearing headphones on P90-UP’s how do you handle the feedback? Bluetooth audio has become crap on iPhone and I miss my music. I would love to go back to headphone, but the last couple of times I tried, causes massive feedback. What are your settings?

1 Like

@BrBarry: Sorry … but I’m missing something to allow me to understand why this pre-takeoff rigmarole is necessary. What’s the issue at this stage of the flight?

1 Like

I tell the crew for safety purposes, and when they come and ask if I would like something to drink/eat, they already know who they are asking. Occasionally, you do get the odd crew who does know sign language (I’m still learning).

But if you were referring to my timing of removal, I can handle the engine noise to this point.

3 Likes

I use corded noise-cancelling headphones over my ears and do not take out the hearing aids. That’s if I’m watching a movie on the seat back set. If watching on an Ipad, I either stream via BT, or if it’s an older Ipad plug in the larger headphones. When I sleep on runs to Europe or Asia from DC, I pull out the aids, stick them in a carrying case and shove the case in a pocket of my jeans or into my CPAP bag as I don’t like sleeping with them in place.

I also tell the flight attendants that I’m deaf when I enter the aircraft. I tell them I don’t need any special care, but if there is a major announcement (we’re being redirected, return to airport, whatever), please let me know.

I listen via Bluetooth to my devices. And I usually Mute them (via the app) if I’m not listening to anything.

Oh, depending on who I’m sitting next to, I’ll let them know I’m deaf, and can’t hear once we take off. I’ll often tell them the same thing I told the FA, if there is a major announcement, please let me know.

3 Likes

On my aids I have a separate sound in noise program that is turned way down. I use it as a mute program

1 Like

I tell them at the gate in case of important boarding announcements. Quite often they tell the flight attendants or sometimes it’s even the same people at the gate and on board.

1 Like

Sorry, all, this is my old bugaboo coming back . In my (possibly defective) lexicon, deaf people are DEAF, and don’t use hearing aids. Hard of hearing folks are like me, and wear big buttons on planes and elsewhere that declare to the world that I am “Hard of Hearing”.

I stand corrected: BrBarry is, indeed, DEAF!

The legal definition also seems to treat “deaf” and “hard of hearing” as equivalent. I apologize for my ignorance.

2 Likes

Not big on telling the whole world I can’t hear. Might make me too vulnerable or someone to be taken advantage of

@hass5744: I don’t know quite how to say this, but “vulnerable” is not something that I seem to get pegged as, as a general rule.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any hard and fast rules on it. A family friend I grew up with was fairly hard of hearing (I don’t know to what level, but I had to yell to communicate with him. The moms always knew where we were!). He had a two eared hearing aid thing, but they didn’t work worth a damn as far as I could tell. I never got the hang of sign language. We called my buddy deaf. But he listened to Meatloaf, and was pretty proud of his Bat Out of Hell album.

I found this. If there’s a divide, I’m in the HoH camp. I will, however say things like “I’m pretty deaf. You’ll need to talk LOUD for me to understand you,” when I’m in a place where the noise is bad.

WH

3 Likes

If everyone knows you’re deaf then there are creepy people that will try to take advantage. Why advertise to people you have no interaction with

1 Like

Okay. I see your point. I just think that the creeps will hit on anyone they can, anyway. But I do get it, and will concede the point.

1 Like