Using Bluetooth microphone as TV transmitter with Phonak Marvel

Good Evening! I have a question for you folks. My tv setup is a Samsung smart tv and a sound bar. I use my iPhone on Live Listen. I turn it on and simply lay it next to the sound bar and it works perfectly. The only issue is that I don’t really have access to my phone when doing this. Because of the Firmware update 2.0 on my M90’s that are able to connect with other devices. I connected to my MacBook Pro easily. OK, here is my question. Besides spending a ridiculous $$ amount for a remote mic, I am considering using a BT mic that I can just lay next to the sound bar like my iPhone. I found one that looks like it will work on Amazon for a simple $24.99. Has anyone done this same thing and connected with a BT mic device? I got a notification on the new Phonak Partner Mic and the cost is $400. I can’t spend that kind of money right now. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

You would probably get better sound from either a bluetooth transmitter or the Phonak TV transmitter. They connect to the audio out jack or headphone jack. It eliminates one speaker, air, microphone. Plus you get true stereo. I have used both and gotten good results. I listened to The Doors, Riders on the Storm just the other day. Very good stereo separation on that song. Good to listen to with headphones or hearing aids with a transmitter.

1 Like

Thanks Don, but I do not want to pay $400 for a Mic.

He wasn’t suggesting a microphone. He was suggesting a Bluetooth transmitter that you plug into your TV. They’re available for similar price to the microphone you mentioned. The Phonak TV transmitter is available for $100 from Costco.

1 Like

The bluetooth transmitters that Don talks about cost less than 30 dollars. You can buy some generic models for less than 10 dollars.

1 Like

I got the Phonak TV connector free gratis from Boots UK in a deal along with my Marvels 90’s 13s this is an excellent unit and with the app u can vary the volume input to less ambient environmental noise and more TV or vice versa … it also plugs straight into the optical port on a smart TV. Switches straight onto your Marvels automatically, in fact I can still hear the TV in the toilet if the connector is switched on! Cheers Kev.

2 Likes

You will get the best result from the Phonak TV connector, but if you want to go for a less expensive solution, you can get a bluetooth transmitter from amazon for $30. I have a tautronics tt-ba07. It works okay, but there is some lag. The Phonak TV connector will not have as much lag as a bluetooth transmitter.

1 Like

A transmitter is not a mic. I paid $99 for a Phonak TVLink2, and 30$ for a bluetooth transmitter.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. But, I am supposed to be getting a pair of Phonak Marvels soon from the VA. Like the OP, I can’t afford $400 for a Partner Mic. I already have a Phonak remote mic that is used with a Compilot, and a Resound Mini Mic. Both are Bluetooth. Would I be able to pair either of these with the Marvels, or do they use a proprietary protocol that would prevent this?

1 Like

I don’t know but am pretty doubtful that they would work. What’s VA policy on providing accessory devices? Would be cool if they’d spring for a Roger device.

I think they do something to restrict pairing on things like those microphones. I will certainly try to pair them to my Marvels when I finally get them. My experience with external microphones and hearing aids hasn’t been positive. I am going to give it another try though.
The VA seems to vary a lot depending on who you talk to. I don’t understand Phonak’s philosophy about external microphones. They have the new Partner Mic, but also a new version of the Roger mic for Marvels.

One thing we need to know is whether you are alone when watching tv or not. If you are then turning down or off the internal speakers wil help because then you will only hear the remote input and not the direct over the air sound (too). This implies plugging something into an output on the TV to send sound to your aids. As someone mentioned removing one speaker-to-air-to-mic stage will sound better. Personally I just use wireless headphones when I can, but I do have some other wireless options (not Phanak).