Using a Desk Phone - Help?

Hi there

Getting very stressed and grateful for some pointers. Sorry if this has been raised before but I can’t find a straight forward discussion of the various options. I wear Phonak Naida S BTE hearing aids at work. I sit at a desk with a landline phone. I don’t use the desk phone a lot but need to hear when I do. I don’t use a mobile (cell) phone that often and not for work. To date, I have been listening to the desk phone by putting the earpiece against the HA receiver. Works OK for now, but not well, particularly when there’s a lot of chatter in the office.

The HA has a telecoil but not a Bluetooth receiver. I have a Phonak MyPilot but prefer not to have something around my neck.

Can anyone help with solutions for using a desk phone better?

Do headsets with a telecoil function work well for you? Is there an add-on for the Naida S to receive a Bluetooth signal from a Bluetooth adaptor?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Do you hear a beep when you place the telephone handset against the hearing aid? If not, then the phone program isn’t being triggered by the EasyPhone feature. You’ll need to attach a magnetic sticker to the handset to activate the program. And your audi should change the default phone program to a t-coil program. The only way to receive a Bluetooth signal is the ComPilot, but it’s a neckloop device.

Bluetooth is the way to go. I have a Plantronics MDA200 with an SSP2714-01 dongle. This connects to my office phone and office desktop computer through a Plantronice EHS cable. You need the EHS cable for your specific phone model. Desktop computer connects by USB. Then I paired my Bluetooth hearing aid device to the MDA200/dongle.

This way you get the phone calls in both ears, through your hearing aids. I wear my bluetooth device on a lanyard, around my neck, under my shirt until I need to make a call.

I use a standard deskphone with a magnet to activate my telecoil when the receiver is next to my ear. Works great and I hear everything thru both hearing aids. I also have a Plantronics HW261N headset that has a built-in magnet that activates my Telecoil as well. I don’t have any desire to spend the money for additional devices for my hearing aids when these solutions work.

Hello
I use a office phone at work cisco
I have. Phonak hearing aids and compilot
I had my audiologist order from phonak
the plantronics MDA200 WITH THE BT 300 BLUE TOOTH
ALL READY SET UP
ALL U HAVE TO DO IS JUST LEAVE THE HAND SET OFF HOOK
works. Flawless
regards
scott

Thanks very much for your responses. Interesting to read the different methods.

My ComPilot (which I haven’t used in a few years) seems to be completely dead. I’ve had it on the recharger for a while but no power light comes on. That might influence my choice!

I was just trying my home wireless phone which has a T-coil function and the Phonak aids on T-coil setting. Asked the kids to make lots of noise (which they duly complied with) and could still hear! I think I’ll go with the (low-tech) T-coil option at work, for now, to avoid high-tech reliability challenges.

Interestingly, was also testing a neckloop versus an earloop with an audio input (music) on T-coil setting. The earloop worked well, but couldn’t hear anything with the neckloop until I put the neckloop physically on the ears. So telecoil seems to have limitations if not directly on the ear, but that should be fine for a telephone handset / headset.

I’ll get our ICT guys to order a T-coil headset.

I think you’ve made a good choice. Just remember that you’ll need to line the headset up with the hearing aids just right in order to activate the T-Coil. My headset actually sits high on my ears and probably looks pretty funny to someone else. Working at home I really don’t care about that though… :slight_smile: Good luck!

Thanks. Very similar to what I’m doing now with the handset speaker on the aid rather than the ear.

Hi Don,
I’ve been considering the MDA200 with an SSP2714-01 bluetooth adapter. But I’ve seen some reviews that the connection is spotty and drops sometimes. Has your experience been better? Do you get really good quality audio. I’m often on WebEx online conference calls and I’m using the Plantronics amplifier from my AT&T desktop phone (through cable modem) with Plantronics headset. The audio quality is decent but I wish it was better.

csdaly, and please remember your hearing aid fitter needs to initiate the telecoil. If you’ve never used it before it might not be set up yet.

I never have any issues. It never drops unless I’m near the end of battery life, and that’s the hearing aids dropping out. The MDA200 to my bluetooth device (Resound Phoneclip+) connection is rock solid.

When I leave and come back to my office the blue light is back on the MDA200 before I sit down.

1 Like

Hi Don.
I need your Help! :-\

I have the new ReSound linx quattro 9.
i bought the plantronics mda220 usb + dongle (BT600) to connect my Resound Multi Mic, but until now i don´t realize how to do that!

I use an deskphone (CISCO SPA504G). Already connected MDA 220 to my phone, i have some questions:

The dongle (BT600) will connect direct to MDA220? (on the front)
Which devide the dongle should be connect?! (to Resound power clip?) i tryed connect to Resound Clip (in paring mode) for several times and nothing happened) the blue and red light blinked for a few seconds and then goes off!

Maybe i´m doing something wrong. (See photos below)

Thanks

The dongle should connect to the Resound Phone Clip+. I don’t think the Multimic provides phone function. If the BT600 dongle will not pair to the Phone Clip+ you may have to swap the dongle. There is one that is sold for hearing aids. I don’t know what the difference is. It is called the “ssp 2714-01”.

Also, when pairing the Phone Clip+, make sure it is not already connected to a device that is close by. Everything else needs to be off.

Thank you so much Don! i´ll request the older “Phone Clip” to my audiologist to try!
Wich Resound are you using?

Phone Clip+. I use Phonak now.

Thanks Don, but already tested with Resound before?

I use a CapTel text phone plugged to my land line phones. My setup sends all messages to the regular phone. The extra 40 dB of volume is sometimes useful but you can still turn volume down so as not to bother others. Confidentiality issues may interfere since an operator is always listening and/or you need the text size set so large that it is easily read from across the room. But being able to see and save the details of what is being said is a great help when callers have heavy accents or speak too rapidly. Since you wear hearing aids, a text phone won’t cost more than $75 and is almost certain to qualify as a reasonable accommodation.

I do this using my resound multi mic, works the same as the referenced Roger pen. The phone adapter costs less than $20 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/VEC-TRX-20-Connect-Telephone-ADAPTER/dp/B000KL0XA6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OOIHVH0J5DTG&keywords=telephone+record+coupler&qid=1583495831&sprefix=telephone+record+couple%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3