Used Oticon OPN 1’s

As I couldn’t afford these recommended hearing aids new from my audiologist. I bought some online, used, I can only imagine the prior owner passed on as they came with all the accessories, extra batteries, ear cones and battery removal tools plus cleaning tools. I was told by someone that if I should ever have to send them in to Oticon for service that they could confiscate them if I’m not the original owner? Anybody out there have any info in that regard? Fortunately they are working fine for now.

Are you sure you are going to be able to get them adjusted for your hearing needs

Try and gather the Serial Number from them. They might be located inside the battery door, very small. Call Oticon and ask if these have been claimed as Lost or Stolen. If so, NEVER send them in, as they are rightfully Oticon’s and they will keep them. However, if they haven’t been claimed, you can tell them you bought them from a friend and have everything switched into your name. Keep your bill of sale.

1 Like

It’s a moot point. Factory repair is likely to cost more than used HAs. That is, if you got a good deal on used HAs. So perish the thought of factory repair for used hearing aids. Send them in to the generic HA repair Labs instead.

2 Likes

3 or 4 years ago, I had moved up to Oticon Agil Pros purchased used. I sweat profusely when working outdoors in Texas heat. I wear my hearing aids anytime I am outdoors. Anyway, one aid starting giving problems. I sent it in to one of the independent repair companies for a flat rate repair. When they looked at the aid it had a problem that was beyond their ability to repair.

When they asked if I wanted to send it to Oticon, my reply was yes. I got the usual warning that if the aids were from government or public health, Oticon would keep them. My reply was that if that was the case, Oticon was welcome to recover them.

Anyway, about a week later I received the bill for $100 for the NEW replacement from Oticon. The repair company only charged me the shipping costs which were reasonable.

I have been a strong advocate for Oticon based on my user experience with their aids. Coupled with their aggressive policy of replacing non-functioning aids for a pittance is a godsend for users.

I hope you are as fortunate as I have been with my Oticons.

2 Likes

Here is the response from Oticon:
Thank you for contacting Oticon. Regarding your inquiry, Oticon’s Repair & Replacement warranty varies depending on model, Hearing Care Provider, and insurance. Due to HIPAA regulations, Oticon is unable to validate a consumer’s identity via phone or email, we recommend reaching out to your Hearing Care Provider who can validate your warranty information with Oticon as well as give you copies of your devices warranty.

They can’t share the original owner’s information, of course. You can tell them you are the new owner, verify both Serial Numbers. Use an all-make lab for any repairs, as they won’t honor any warranties if they have left.

I had a pair of Oticons, that had a total failure on one aid. it was sent to an all makes repair. The fault was something that they could not repaired. The shop asked if I wanted to send to Oticon. They warned me that, if the hearing aids were reported stolen, Oticon would not return them. I had no reason to think they were stolen, so I had them sent to Oticon. Oticon replaced it with a new aid for a total cost of $100.

I think the aids were Agil or Agil Pros. I have stuck with
Oticon due to the sound quality and very reasonable service experience.

My only pair of new aides from an audiologists was Oticon OPN 3. I have been very satisfied. One aid had an early failure and was replaced under warranty. I agree with some other users that they do not handle the road noise from my Toyota Prius very well. I switch to the most conservative program and adjust the volume up. They don’t sound particularly natural in this situation, but for the everyday performance, it is a reasonable compromise for me.