University of Rochester Researchers Regrow Sensory Hair Cells

http://www.hearingreview.com/2018/10/university-rochester-researchers-regrow-sensory-hair-cells/

Scientists discover potential therapy for hearing loss

I saw that, but I’m struggling to put it into context. It seems that a new signalling pathway involved in triggering hair cell regeneration is discovered every other week. One of the authors is Albert Ellis who co-founded Audion Therapeutics and has been co-author with some of the Frequency Therapeutics researcher on a number of studies. I do believe (and I know many disagree) that we are moving steadily towards viable treatments.

I think the context is that any viable treatments always appear to 10 years in the future, and it seems to be the case every 10 years i.e. a moving window!

Translating that research to humans is going to be a long haul. Viral vectors, clinical trial etc etc.

Don’t get excited until there are at least human trials.

But there are. Frequency Therapeutics and Regain Hearing Project are both conducting human trials. Not with “epidermal growth factor” maybe but with combinations of molecules that trigger supporting cells within the cochlea to proliferate and create new hair cells. That’s what I meant about not being able to put this new study into context. Where does this new study fit in? What gaps in the puzzle does it fill in?

I know what you mean. That’s what I saw for years. I think things have shifted a bit though. The language is getting less vaguely hopeful and more directly confident. And human clinical trials are happening right now.

Hopefully, yes. There seems to be an awful lot of research activity and as you say, trials are on-going as well.

I took a look at the Action on Hearing Loss website just now, and there are at least 38 research projects on-going worldwide:

New triggers = need new studies. Once they work out good standard protocols for studies to compare them all we might get a better idea. The big questions to answer are do people benefit and if so who will benefit. Trials always start very small. They then are scaled up in the following studies.