Unitron Experiences?

Hi,

Can anyone (ideally with a hearing loss similar to the one in my sig) who has used Unitron and its accessories (especially the Moxi line and the UDirect streamer) give me their general impression of the HA, its sound quality during conversations, and using bluetooth to listen to music and to make/receive phone calls? I’m also interested in reliability.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately not the same hearing loss but I love unitron.

Give it a go and worse case scenario return them.

— Updated —

Unfortunately not the same hearing loss but I love unitron.

Give it a go and worse case scenario return them.

Gbp,
I saw where you had made inquiries about the Unitron Moxi hearing aid and was wandering what you thought of it and the pros and cons of it if you did get it. I saw an Audi today who wants me to research them and see what I think about them and she is going to get some in for me to try.
I would like to know what you decided about them.
Thank you and I will post my audiogram below

Audiogram

9/25/14
250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
L 45 50 50 45 50 50 50 55
r 60 50 55 50 60 65 65 65
SRT: 50dB DISCRIM IN QUIET: L-92% R-64% at80dB

Sorry for the very late response. I need to start subscribing to threads I start. :frowning:

The Moxi I tried wasn’t powerful enough for my hearing loss. Apparently, I was right at the top of the fitting range for RITE aids, and the Moxi2-20 wasn’t as powerful as the Oticon Epoq I’m trying to replace.

Also, I had problems with the Moxi uDirect2 streaming device. (I use streaming for phone calls and music; both are vital to me.) While streaming music, I was getting intermittent “stuttering”, as if the bluetooth signal were going in and out. For example, even with my mobile phone in my shirt pocket, I’d have this problem. It would happen more often if my phone were on the kitchen counter less than 2 feet away while washing dishes. A replacement uDirect2 had similar issues.

My Oticon streamer never had such issues. One other thing I didn’t like about the uDirect2: When streaming phone calls or music, I could have it configured to either hear background noise or not (the HA mics turned off). All calls or music are handled the same way. While streaming with the Oticon Streamer, I had the option of turning the HA mics off while in noisy environments, giving me control over this.

Was this with the Moxi2 or the previous series? I just got my first HA, a Moxi2 Kiss 10, and would hate to find out that the bluetooth doesn’t work right with cell phones.

I was trialling the Moxi2-20, the current series. The issue of the signal seemingly breaking up was with streaming music via bluetooth, not using bluetooth for phone calls. The source of the problem might have been the uDirect2 streaming device rather than the hearing aid, although the problem persisted after my first uDirect2 was replaced with another.

it’s hard to say what the source of the problem was.

[quote=Gbp;116545]I was trialling the Moxi2-20, the current series. The issue of the signal seemingly breaking up was with streaming music via bluetooth, not using bluetooth for phone calls. The source of the problem might have been the uDirect2 streaming device rather than the hearing aid, although the problem persisted after my first uDirect2 was replaced with another.

it’s hard to say what the source of the problem was.[/quote]

Thank you. If the same problem occurs with mine, I’ll be more than a little unhappy, but with your experience to add to it, I’ll know to just tell 'em to give me something else instead. Thanks again!

As a former dispenser of mostly Unitron product, I stopped selling their products as I found it was remarkably difficult to get them to sound good for the majority of my patients. This is my own experience with their products. That said, if you really want to be wearing a RIC type of hearing aid, your hearing loss needs to have a fair bit of power. My suggestion would be to try the Siemens Binax, Phonak Naida Q or Phonak Audeo V Super Power, or the Starkey Z Series with the Absolute Power earmolds. All of these hearing aids would have sufficient power for you to use and also have various streaming abilities.

Good luck.

I visited Connect today for my good deal. Will report more when it is a done deal. I was shown Unitron’s version of the Phonak Compilot air. I mentioned to the Audi that some user thought the Compilot Air was a hit or miss but it was said that they have had good results with it. Has anyone used this product and if so what is your thoughts. Thanks.

I am currently testing the Compilot Air II. It works great IF you keep it really close to the HA’s themselves. More than 8" away for me and the left ear gets static. I wrote to Phonak and they told me the sound should be good up to 16" and to see my Audiologist. I have an appointment on Monday.