Understanding the LRAD, the 162dB “Sound Cannon” Police Are Using

I don’t know if these links will work, and I don’t want this to be political, just informative. 162dB is a LOT. Some times it’s helpful to know the dangers out there, between COVID-19 and other things such as this.

ASHA Issues Warning About Long-Range Acoustic Devices

Understanding the LRAD, the “Sound Cannon” Police Are Using at Protests, and How to Protect Yourself From It

3 Likes

This s easy I just don’t go near that stuff

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I had no clue that something so inhumane and destructive even existed. Sad world in which we live today when someone thinks it’s ok to permanently destroy someone’s hearing. :cry:

4 Likes

Isn’t ‘Peaceful Protest’ one of your unalienable rights?

4 Likes

I am all for peaceful protest but what we have is anything but peaceful

4 Likes

There’ve been plenty of peaceful protests. They just don’t make the news. We’ve had peaceful protests all over northern Virginia on an almost daily basis since this started.

6 Likes

Too right. When your police are weaponised with the above.

What’s next Dick Jones and the OCP?

Please stop now with the political crap

7 Likes

I’m sorry that you find discussion of this subject difficult.

1 Like

It is not difficult the whole looting thing pisses me off. I can take the friendly protest, but you start rioting and looting then I want to put it down and down hard. I am old enough to have been part of the protest in the 1960s and we never burnt or looted. I fully back our police and I even back our President but for a different reason than some. I spent 8 years in the US Navy, with most of it with direct communication support of 2 Presidents. I took an Oath to uphold the Constitution, the bill of rights, and my country. I have never had that Oath resented, so I am ready and willing to serve my country and President again in anyway I am asked to, even taking up arms agains any and all aggression.

4 Likes

Pretty sure the oath is to support and defend the Constitution…There’s obeying orders of the President and officers appointed over oneself in there, but only if they’re legal orders. So…

I am not going to get in a argument with you, you have your loyalties and I have mine. If it hadn’t been for my time in the service, I would not have had the good life I have had, I would more than likely been stuck on the farm or in some deadend job and at 72 I would have to continue to find work to live. But the service educated this farm boy, gave me the tools that I needed to live in a very high tech world and to always be ahead of the curve. For that I do own my loyalty to my country.

3 Likes

I hope these types of weapons are given greater scrutiny. Although there are a variety of “loudess” products in their portfolio, I would tend to think a great many of them would be considered unacceptable and inhumane in a great many places across the globe.

4 Likes

Hey don’t get me wrong - I understand what you’re saying. I’m just making the point that the President is not the Country, Constitution, or Flag.

1 Like

Who ever is President regardless if I agree with the person or not is still my Commander and Chief

3 Likes

I have been waiting to see the fire hoses pulled out. They can hurt people bad too but not your hearing like that sound canon.

1 Like

That is true and I don’t debate that (though it’s Commander-in-Chief). Remember though, former Sec. Modly said “You are under no obligation to love your leadership. Only to respect it.”

2 Likes

You are the one who politicized the discussion by mischaracterizing the nature of the great majority of the protests, cvkemp.

2 Likes

negative just stating the plan truth

2 Likes

I haven’t met anyone who is pro-looting (though I imagine there are some out there, like the looters however small a group they may be). I have on the other hand met those who are OK with police brutality and discrimination. Police are paid by us, to protect us, not to turn on us.

1 Like