UCL phonak target 5.3

When I do UCL in audiogramDirect (after doing feedback and real ear test and after VA) when I have to save the point? I have to enable HL> 100 dB?
please explain the function UCL. Thank
Sorry for my bad english

Uncomfortable level (UCL)
A test to determine the decibel level that you find speech to be uncomfortably loud.

how can I understand which is mine UCL that should not be exceeded?

1. You should enter you audiogram before asking questions that an Audiologist should answer. See TIP#2 in Hearing Tracker Tips in the Forum Support category. Also very few audiologists read this DIY category.
  2. Real ear test? Do you mean Real Ear Measurement/REM? REM requires additional specialized equipment?
  3. Here’s some audiogram basics.

It’s part of a hearing test and gets marked on your audiogram.

I have added hearing test results to mine profile.
When I do UCL in AudiogramDirect,
I have to save the last point where the decibel level is comfortably or the following point where speech is uncomfortably loud?

Excerpt from Audiology Online UCL link;
"The uncomfortable listening level (UCL) is also conducted with cold running speech. The instructions for this test can certainly influence the outcome since uncomfortable or uncomfortably loud for some individuals may not really be their UCL, but rather a preference for listening at a softer level. It is important to define for the patient what you mean by uncomfortably loud. The utility of the UCL is in providing an estimate for the dynamic range for speech which is the difference between the UCL and the SRT. In normals, this range is usually 100 dB or more, but it is reduced in ears with sensorineural hearing loss often dramatically. By doing the UCL, you can get an estimate of the individual’s dynamic range for speech."

Also; "Question: Are there any more specific instructions for the UCL measurement?

Answer: Instructions are very important. We need to make it clear to a patient exactly what we expect them to do. I personally do not like things loud. If I am asked to indicate what is uncomfortably loud, I am much below what is really my UCL. I think you have to be very direct in instructing your patients in that you are not looking for a little uncomfortable, but where they just do not want to hear it or cannot take it."

1 Like

Let’s say it the other way: Normal hearing often has an UCL at about 100dB. It’s the point where sound sounds too loud. Persons with sensorineural hearing loss often have the same UCL at about 100dB. Some hearing disabled persons have a higher UCL. In this case you have to “unlock” the Target-software to generate higher outputs.
BUT: don’t do this unless you REALLY know what you are doing! You may hurt your ear irrecoverably.

I want to know what else I have to set up.
I did feedback and real ear test, and audiogram direct.
In the basic setting I set
70% target gain
occlusion compensation off,
default compression
2 additional programs:spoken in noise, comfort in noise

What is it occlusion compensation?

So you don’t feel stuffed up / blocked up.

is it preferable to set the occlusion compensation differently? now it’s set off.
What else should I change?
I have audeo q30 312 xp power

No one can tell you as it’s all down to the individual.

hi, I want to know if my reasoning is right.
If for a certain frequency I put ucl = 90, instead of ucl = 80, will I have a greater amplification for that frequency?

Yes.

You can find the answers by looking at what the software does.