U-M researcher partners with Apple to study how noise exposure impacts hearing

“This unique dataset will allow us to create something the United States has never had—national-level estimates of exposures to music and environmental sound,” Neitzel said. “Collectively, this information will help give us a clearer picture of hearing health in America and will increase our knowledge about the impacts of our daily exposures to music and noise."

Related: Apple announces three groundbreaking health studies - Apple

The fact that Apple will include sound detection in the next Watch OS 6 update has been know for some time. The fact that they will be partnering with many health organizations and leading clinics is wonderful news. They have worked with the American Heart Assn., with the ECG app that was introduced in the Watch 4 last year. I have used it a few times, since I have chronic artery disease, and have stents in my heart already.

The next Watch OS 6 will enhance that Heart Study, and introduce a Women’s Health Study, and the Hearing Study referenced above. I hope this exposure by a well known manufacturer about hearing loss will help advance the awareness and get more medical insurance coverage for all of us who need it.

Here are links.

3 Likes