Typical Baby Boomer Audiogram?

Had my first hearing test 4 days ago and the audiologist stated I had “a typical baby boomer audiogram”: normal to mild lows loss sloping to severe loss in the highs. Is there such a thing as a typical baby boomer audiogram? Just curious. (I am 67).

Now that is another stereotype.
Curious what comes out of this thread.

I guess I am not a normal baby boomer.

You said it.:kissing_closed_eyes:……………

The majority of baby boomers in the US listened to a lot of loud music.

Your curve might be one produced by loud sound.

But before the BB generation, factories often exceeded 100dba, truck drivers without AC went deaf in their left ears, heavy equipment operators were in a noisy environment and so on.

If you like your audi otherwise, take it with a grain of salt. If not, find a new one.

That’s just my opinion YMMV

Bob

Well my loss definitely wasn’t loud music, yes I had to drive with the windows down, I lives in Texas and didn’t know what AC was until 1971. I didn’t live in any cities or even small towns. I grew up in the country. My loss is some how an inherited loss made much worse by my military service. And no I wasn’t around a war zone or guns, it was equipment rooms, and jet aircraft.

2 Likes

I wonder if what he meant was this is typical for the baby boomer age group (not for their actual exposure type). He said something like this: “for most in your age group with hearing loss, the highs go first and it won’t be later till the lows go”. Is that an accurate generalization?

Great. Now apparently baby boomer is synonymous with severe hearing loss. Hmm. Maybe I do fit the description

1 Like

Jet Aircraft noises are definitely damaging unless you wore proper ear protection. Equipment noise can be damaging depending on how loud and how long the exposure is.

Back in the time I was in the service noise protection wasn’t even an after thought.

I think it’s an accurate generalization, but there are plenty of exceptions.

1 Like

I agree with cv. Hearing protection was unheard of . Get it? Maybe the flight crew on an aircraft carrier. But I was never on one so I couldn’t say

If noise protection wasn’t an afterthought, and you were around jet engines, that is a good candidate for hearing damage.

Whether it’s loud rock n roll, jet engines, heavy equipment, or anything else, anything over 85 db, “A” weighted, “Slow” response can damage your ears. The higher the volume, the less time it takes to damage.

At least that is generally recommended by sites I’ve visited that seem to know what they are talking about.

I’m not a hearing professional, so I’m only repeating what I’ve read.

Bob

Bob that was a different time, back then we didn’t have the internet for reference, and the Navy, for me, didn’t seem to care are know either. No matter now, I have hearing loss, I have a Veterans disability due to my service hearing loss, and my aids are provided to me.

Unfortunately, we didn’t know then what we know now.

Hopefully, some day soon, someone will come up with a way to treat hearing loss.

Disability and hearing aids help, but it would be better if they find a way to reverse it.

People are trying, but it seems a difficult thing to do. But who knows, a breakthrough might come tomorrow, or it might not come at all.

Bob

It will never happen in my life time.

Some day my dreams come true…

In my experience generalizations can miss a significant portion of “events” or people and introduce a large source of error and can lead to stereotypes that can be a detriment. How is that for a generalization!

Somewhat off topic and regard to the generalization of memory and aging. I recently heard a TED talk by a researcher of memory and brain function. She had some limited research and challenged the stereotype that older people have more events of the sort “Now where did I leave my keys (or phone) …” She hypothesizes that the frequency of such events might be somewhat to greatly exaggerated for older people as the event has come to have more salience and importance to them than someone who is in their 30s. The younger person might find it equally frustrating but not attribute any additional meaning to the event.

To be clear, I am not implying that the frequency with which an unaided older person who has documented hearing loss asks that someone repeat something has a similarity to the situation of memory for the temporary storage location for common items.

To the OP, if you are otherwise happy with the audiologist then perhaps take the remark more in the context of “I’ve seen a lot of this pattern of hearing loss; feel confident that HAs and I can help you.” My own preference would be for a professional who pays equal or greater attention to uniqueness than to what general pattern I might (somewhat) fit into. Generalization (and rules of thumb) are merely a shorthand starting place.

Yeah, I guess I’m a typical baby-boomer. I’ve never liked loud pop music or worked in a noisy environment but my audiogram starts to drop off above 1kHz. My alarm clock sounds at 4.096kHz and I never hear it until my wife nudges me, and only distinctly when I pick it up. (Not sure why I still use it - for exceptions I set the alarm on my iPhone and have no trouble!)