Two Months With Lumity 90 after 3 Years With Marvel 90

Thank you Jim :grin: I donā€™t recall having seen domes being mentioned either? Only custom 105db RIC moulds will greatly help @dankailo, they should enhance his hearing loss, and make a big difference? Agree also, RIC custom acrylic moulds are ultra comfortable in comparison to BTE mouldsā€¦ Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the input Zebras. The limit that I was referring to is the feedback from mic to receiver, Iā€™m at the limit of any gain for my fitting. If I push the gain any higher around 6kHz and above I just subject myself to a much higher risk of feedback. Iā€™m fully occluded in both ears with Whistleblock almost at max.
I have an acrylic mould with earlock, which I hate, and that stays in place more and limits feedback but is really uncomfortable so I never wear it.

On the advice of a very wise Welshman I actually moved down to a medium receiver from a P and the sound from my aids now has a much more rounded yet precise feel to it.
Iā€™m not that bothered about not hearing 8kHz in my right which is why the downgrade made sense to me.

MPO

2 Likes

Yes but getting a stronger receiver would help with feedback as you wonā€™t be at the limit but if youā€™re already gone from a M to a P receiver then itā€™ll be just tighter ear moulds.

The UP receiver is way over top for your loss but may be appropriate if you canā€™t get the feedback under control.

If the receiver is appropriate for your loss then the issue maybe the ear mould itself even if you feel it fits well.

I actually went the other way from a P to an M with no change in feedback and the real ear feedback measurements in Target were near identical and almost hitting manufacturerā€™s expectations.

I should have been a bit clearer initially, sorry. It was a purely personal musing as I have a weird mixed loss (medically approved term, honest) and an oddly shaped right ear canal.

Itā€™s the whole system, my hearing bits included, that I donā€™t think will handle a further loss. i.e the combination of all those factors, microphone placement, wire length, ear canal shape, receiver characteristics, Lumity 90 software, acoustic coupling etc.
Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find another solution if and when I need to, I donā€™t mean to sound negative.

Just another example of how all of our losses and their respective treatments are different and one personā€™s solution can be anotherā€™s step backward.

Weirdness:

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s a bit different looking at your audiogram, going from P to M on that right ear would of been a little tricky for your audiologist, and your right about these situations, where we can honestly say ā€œhearing is such a subjective subject!ā€

2 Likes

It might actually be the UCL that is causing your feedback issue as the UCL is so close especially at the 8K frequency.

@BeLo

2 Likes

Iā€™m still wearing M90ā€™s after 3 years and they are still working very well for me. My audiologist discouraged me from getting the Paradise, he said I really wouldnā€™t hear any better. But now he is encouraging me to try Lumity. Iā€™m just waiting for the Virto Lumity rechargeable that is supposed to be coming out but is delayed for some reason.

1 Like

@Zebras: English speaking please? FOUND IT ! Same as TFL!

1 Like

@SpudGunner

UnComfortable Level

Itā€™s the line at the very bottom of @BeLo audiogram that is shown further up in the thread.

1 Like

@Zebras: Iā€™m sorry. My initial Googling didnā€™t turn it up, Zebes.

2 Likes

Thank you @kevels55 & @SpudGunner SpudGunner for your kind comments and advice.

I will try RIC acrylic mold or the newer generation offered by Oticon mold. Change the MIC to 105 dB and see what happens. This would be a start.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I have a hard time getting one trial pair.

Yet here you describe having tried 3_ or 4 sets

How do you do this?

Are you at the V.A.

I think there ought to be an edict aka LAW mandating trials. For the amount of money we are supposed to pay its outrageous. Nobody would buy a new car without a test drive

Thanks. I will pay closer attention in the future to see if that may be the issue.

The way it works in my case is that I pay for the aids up front, but there is a trial period during which I can return them and try a different pair. So they are not loaners, as they require payment up front. I donā€™t know whether this is typical in the US or not, but I have used 2 different audiology practices since I started wearing aids 21+ years ago and they both work that way. (I do not go through the VA.)

1 Like

I have spent at least an hour trying to find a page that lays out all the different options for the Lumify hearing aids. I see people refer to Lumify P90, and others have Lumify Life, etc. Whatā€™s the difference?

(Sorry to be thick - Iā€™m not a fan of Phonaq so I donā€™t know my way around their sight very well.)

Sorry I havenā€™t read the whole thread, but have you tried frequency lowering with Sound Recover 2? That might give you access to the highs without feedback.

1 Like

Lumity Audeo L-R: Standard Lumity Hearing Aid. Standard Charger.
Lumity Audeo L-RT: Includes Telecoil. Standard Charger.
Lumity Audeo L-RL: Life Version of Lumity. Slightly larger in size. More water resistant. Comes with with induction charger unit with built in battery.

You can get all three form factors with either L90, L70, L50 and L30 software features. All are rechargeable only.

Jordan

6 Likes

@JordanK: THANK YOU VERY MUCH! To show you how thick I am : I thought that the RT and RL had something to do with RIGHT and LEFT.

(I have cataracts. Is it LumiTy or LumiFy? I think it should be LimiFy because Phonaq talk about bright conversations and brilliant this and that. So they lumiFy things.)

Works for me!

2 Likes

I also am trying Lumity 90RL after 3 years with Marvel 90 (and after sending back Paradise trials a month ago, because I wanted the latest technology and the audiologist didnā€™t tell me about Lumity). I had to change audiologists from when I had the Marvelā€™s because I moved. For both the Lumity and Paradise models, my understanding of speech and overall functioning is terrible compared to my Marvels. Background noises are way too loud, even turning it down, even with restaurant setting and even when I try to play around with other adjustments (noise cancellation, decreasing loud sounds, pitch). With speech, itā€™s tinny , plenty of volume but the volume has no clarity of sound, so that I cannot understand either my daughter or my husband and they have very different voices. Tiny sounds are constantly startling and stressful like putting a phone down on the table. My hair and glasses create constant background static. I have never had any such difficulty with new hearing aids. Iā€™m 64 years old, busy professional and I have been a hearing aid user for 35 years, with many many different aids and models. Do you think my new audiologist has not programmed them correctly ? I will go back but not sure how to explain this .
I really really want to use the Phonaks and the Lumity in particular because Iā€™ve invested in Roger technology and depend on it tremendously, love my Marvels but need to update, and I want to use the waterproof hearing aids for kayaking, biking, running in rain , etc.

Yep. 100%. Your devices are not programmed correctly. Especially if itā€™s the case that if the Lumitys sound terrible and then you put your Marvels in and everything sounds clear.

Demand Real Ear Measurement.

To clarify, I have a pair of Marvels and I upgraded to KS10s (Audeo Paradise white label), which were then the next level above - and they sounded that way! The Lumitys will be another step up from the Paradise, and there have been a few anecdotal reports on here testifying that.

2 Likes