Two bluetooth devices simultaneously on Phonak P90 - what does that really mean?

So what does “two devices connected simultaneously” mean? When I am using my P90s with my computer for audio, they seem to loose connection to the phone/app. I’ve not been able to find any specific tutorials on this.

If you are watching a movie on the computer, the phone notifications will step on the audio of the movie. Or the dings and notifications of each will interleave off they aren’t at the same time. And a phone call coming in will go to your HAs. But if you use an iPad and a computer at the same time, you’ll need to talk on the phone old fashioned wise. Hope this helps.

WH

1 Like

Pairing to computers / laptops seem to cause more hassle then pairing to tablets and phones with the Phonak Marvel and Paradise.

Some people seem to have no issues with phone when paired to computer and some people have a huge amount of issues.

1 Like

Some devices are grabbier than others. My iphone and ipad are very grabby. The phone, I don’t mind so much. The ipad, now that gets in the way of a connection to the laptop. If the ios devices have both grabbed a connection, I often have to disconnect them both before the laptop will connect and stay connected. Then I can connect the phone again.

I just got the HAs flashed this morning to most current firmware (I can see the tap sensitivity now in myphonak now!) so we’ll see if things have improved.

WH

2 Likes

It means while using one device the other is readily available to you depending on how you have it set up. That’s how it works in the real world.

1 Like

Agree with you! I’ve manually disconnected my iPad Bluetooth because it will change my settings from AutoSense to T-coil + mic. I’m somewhat on the learning curve with the Phonak Paradise. Another issue I’ve encountered is not being able to connect to my laptop Bluetooth. I read somewhere I can use my tv connector on the laptop to get sound to my hearing aids. I haven’t tried that yet but I’m considering as I sometimes have Zoom calls.

I have Phonak Marvels, and tried to keep the aids paired & connected to both MacBook Pro and One+ android phone. Nuthin’ doin’! I gave up, and while I keep the aids paired & connected to my phone, I ONLY use the TV connector plugged into my laptop to stream with my aids. Bluetooth is so ridiculously IMPERFECT in the HA world I just have to sigh. I’m grateful for my aids being able to stream with my phone hands-free tho!

1 Like

Pairing isn’t likely your problem, it s “connecting”. If you disconnect your phone (not unpair!) you should be able to connect from a macbook or other BT device. But only one connection at a time. You get two pairings, one connection.

Paradise models get eight pairings, two connections.

WH

I own Marvels, and would really like to stream form both my android phone and my laptop
I can pair both, but if the aids are connected to my phone, to use the computer I have to manually disconnect the phone by turning Bluetooth off or by taking it out of range
then find my computer pairing and connect to it.
then reverse to go back to the phone.
basically a royal pain.

Recently I had a loaner set of Paradise while mine were in for service. I paired to both and it worked wonderfully.

1 Like

There’s a firmware update to solve this issue.

You can, you just need to update the firmware, ask your audiologist clinic to do this for you.

tenkan
My aids were back to the factory for service just 4 weeks ago, so maybe not, but I’m fairly sure I have the most recent updates.
and I just tried it.
I paired and connected my computer. Of course it streamed perfectly…but when I tried streaming form the phone I found that the connection to my phone was broken.
I had a hard time getting my phone reconnected after that… ultimately unpaired my computer and restarted the aids to reconnect with the phone…

1 Like

Yeah I get what your saying,I no longer have my Marvel HAs to confirm, but it’s been mentioned a few times that a firmware update solved the issue, I did see this on hearingtracker tho, it talks about Bluetooth devices being used simultaneously, maybe it means something else.

Pairing does not equal connecting. Paradise does 8 pairings, but two connections. I still do not see in the marvel spec they can connect to more than one device at a time. Just 2 pairings.

WH

Yes so the OP says he can’t, can only have 1 device, so I’m thinking the firmware update will do 2 pairing simultaneously.

actually I think that I can pair two…but can’t connect two

1 Like

Do any of you know if there’s a way for me to check my firmware version? I’ve poked around in the myphonak app and don’t see it there.
Regardless, I looked it up and it seems the update came out fall of 2020. I’m very sure my Audiologist updated it around about then…and I want to say one other time since then.

Phonak I think needs to be checked via Target fitting sw, not the app on your mobile.

WH

You NAILED IT! That was my situation. Now maybe this is phone-dependent, but I found that using my older Samsung phone, it would take many seconds to re-connect it. With my newer One+ phone, it seems to re-connect super fast - which would make it easier to PAIR to 2 devices even as I’m limited to CONNECTING to just one at a time.

It just became such a snafu of yada yada that I gave up. We can put a man on the moon, a supertanker on the ocean, all these miracles of engineering and science, but we can’t seem to get Bluetooth to be stable and multi-functional.

In my dream world, I’d be able to pair AND conncect my aids with limitless audio devices (phones, TVs, radios, laptops, movie theatre sound system, etc.,). Maybe with a phone app I’d then select from the list which one I want to pair with at that moment in time. It should be painless, fast and reliable. We just aren’t there yet today.

Instead, we have these smarty-pants AI aids that tell us our blood pressure or maybe that that it’s time to pop a pill, or annoy us in some other way that we don’t value. It’s like marketing folks at these HA manufacturers go talk to their grannies and grampas and then assume they know what all those who wear HAs want/need.

And here I end my rant. :blush:

2 Likes

I have a set of KS9s. I can definitely only connect to one device at a time. I think the KS9 is equal to the Phonak Marvel. There was no firmware update last time I was in to my costco to have them tuned though. I would be so happy if I could stay connected to my ipad and my iphone without having to switch them back and forth. Anyone with any info for me? Costco Gurus?

@WebGuy1

Think your KS9 can be paired to two devices but only connected to one device at a time.

3 Likes