Tweaking music program step by step

Thanks. It used to just come up when I clicked/hovered on the avatar–no need to click through to a different page. Weird change.

For a good music program, compression has to be eliminated or at least greatly dialed back. It’s a dedicated program, so I just switch back to my compressed speech program for usual circumstances. Maybe you need to have a lot of compression due to the nature of your loss?

@jeffrey: I had to change the dome in my right ear one more time yesterday. That soft pain that builds up over time was getting unbearable by the evenings. Anyways, with the new dome I also fine tuned the program so it is a bit better now. As you mentioned, it is a dedicated program with the minimum digital processing I was allowed to have by the fitting software. I do need compression on my right ear, but usually not higher than a factor of 2. I have no compression in my left ear, in this one I have a purely conductive loss.

A double click lets you skip a step.

Yeah I don’t understand why AB doesn’t mention to everyone when some new changes come through, some we may not even know about.

Quick report on results: so far the best music program I ever had. Actually, the two best because I tweaked my original one based on DSL and created a new based on the standard MyMusic (Oticon More). Both programs sound really good and a bit similar, though I hear a tinny difference: DSL sounds more raw, MyMusic sounds like some digital processing is still going on. Regardless, I am very pleased with the more natural resonance of my acoustic and classical guitars.

Below are screenshots of the MyMusic program before and after the “EQ” I did with the new audio I created. Unfortunately my right dome won’t allow me to have all the gain I need in the high frequencies (due to feedback). It is good enough the way it is.
Before:
MyMusic_before_EQ

After:
MyMusic_after_EQ

Edit: Note that there is minimum to no compression in my program. That is what I feel ideal for live music. When I decide between DSL and MyMusic, I will have another program with some compression for streamed music.

If your music program sounds good then that’s all that really matters. But something in that audio still sounds off to me. The higher frequencies are loud. What measure does audacity use for volume?

But again, I’m traveling and I just listened on my phone speaker, which may be so poor as to not offer useful assessment.

Audacity inputs amplitude between 0 and 1. That is why I need to normalize things, which is just another step adding up to the overall uncertainty of this little “experiment”. Actually, there are a few variables that I just can’t really control, so I do the best approximation.

One of these variable is the calibration of the volume: the audio will only work when 1kHz is played at 60 dB. However, even doing so, who knows the frequency responses of the speakers? I guess I would have to play the audio in a high-end audio monitor for best results. I don’t own one, so that is not happening :slight_smile: .

Edit: Audio now uses an EQ instead of normalization between 0 and 1, as described above.

I think this post describes a qualitative tool to help with the fine tuning of the music program. It seems it worked for me but that might be as well just confirmation bias… lol

I just started to read this thread. Hopefully, it will me, as an audiophile, get a good program going with my Widex Moment 440’s.

I haven’t really delved into the thread yet, but in terms of the audio test tones…would just using an SPL meter with your not-so-great home speakers allow you to be sure of the loudness accuracy? I shouldn’t even really mention this yet without really reading the thread, but…

Also, with my HA’s, as far as I can tell, there is no way for me get the Widex program that the audiologist uses without subscribing and purchasing it? I believe it has to connect to Widex for it to be usable. Is this correct?

That is a fair point. I am aware that with the gear I own I am getting just a passable approximation, at most. However, that seemed to be good enough for what I needed. My guitars sound great with my new music program, which was my initial goal. For other musical purposes I still need to figure out a compression rationale, but that I will do when I have the time.

Sounds like you’d be a good candidate for DIY, it’s not that hard and all you need is the Noahlink wireless and Widex compass software, check out a couple of these websites for help in setting your HAs for music.

https://grandpianopassion.com/category/hearing-music/

https://musicandhearingaids.org/

Another update:

1. I decided to ditch the MyMusic program. My tweaked DSL music program is superior (I feel like my guitars resonate “right” with it).

2. I played my new audio in a decent sound system (mostly flat frequency response) and tweaked my DSL music program a bit more. I’m very, very happy with it.

1 Like

I came here to say that Marshall Chasin, well respected for his work on music in audiology, tends to recommend regular prescribed compression for music programs. But if you’ve just tweaked your DSL program a bit it looks like you’ve already arrived there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, my DSL music program sounds richer for both acoustic and classical guitars. Oticon’s MyMusic sounded a bit artificial, even with all the tweaks I did.

I ended up creating a new program for general use based on this new music program and the overall compression rationale of my main VAC+ program. I haven’t had the time to do a proper A/B comparison of them yet (VAC+ / DSL), though the DSL program sounds better for music streaming.

1 Like

I wonder if this site could or might establish some sort of post-it that would incorporate the very good pdfs about programming aids for music that are scattered pell mell over a variety of threads. that way, one could just reference that single post it (or whatever these things are called) when this topic comes up again. And it comes up fairly frequently. I also find myself referring to these pdfs on a classical guitar site that I frequent, and on a site called ‘adult musicians with hearing loss’. These pdfs are a great resource. And one can bring one or more in to their audi when going to get fitted.

That’s a good idea, your right, the topic does come up quite randomly when we may be discussing something else, is it a “sticky” or more like a link that takes one back to a particular topic in the forum?

I know that for me, until I got custom molds, Music and streaming sounded unnatural. Now with custom molds and self tweaking, music is actually sounding pretty good…for aids

1 Like

I was thinking of a sticky–I think you’re right, that’s the term. something that would appear on the home page, or on a side bar, that would collect all of these pdfs together, or anyway some of them. Then it would be simple to refer people to that one spot. A pdf was extremely useful for me to take in to my audi, who really knew nothing about programming for playing music–and this is pretty typical. At the same time, the pdfs would be useful for self programmers.

This makes me a bit nuts. This is an educational gap that’s really easy to fill.

Yes, some sort of post-it on music and hearing aids would be great on this site. In the meantime, I’ve learned much from entering the word “Music” in the search feature here. A lot of good information has been posted in various threads over the years, but it takes time to sort through the threads and replies.

1 Like