TV Connector for Phonak P90RTs

The Phonak Tv connector is based on Bluetooth… but they have stripped out everything that makes Bluetooth universally work with many devices and streamlined it to work with just the HAs. It does it very well indeed … very low latency, low power usage etc

I have a from the VA new Phonak P90 pair with the Phonak TV Connector. Mine were molded for my ears. I too was interested in a spare lower cost Bluetooth transmitter so bought one from Amazon for $13.99 and it works as good as the TV Connector when using upstairs in same room as my TV. The Phonak TV Connector stays connected to the same TV when downstairs which is cool. This is the Bluetooth link at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089QJPCDJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details. My previous Phonak hearing aids used the Phonak Compilot2 and Phonak TV Link II. Connected to the same TV, same room I could be downstairs and even outside and still hear the TV.

Does anyone have experience with the Avantree low latency BT Oasis device ($50.) as substitute for Phonak TV Connector? ||10% off for AARP members|| There is older thread from about 2018 that said an older model worked well.

I did a quick chat on Avantree website and was referred to their FAQ which I show below and it seems to indicate it should work easily with Phonak HAs, but proof is in the pudding and forum Members often really know how to evaluate a device. {I have no affiliation/connection with Avantree.}

How to use Avantree Transmitter with Phonak Hearing Aids?

You could pair your Phonak Hearing Aid with Avantree Bluetooth transmitters via Bluetooth. Please follow the steps like this:

Step 1 . Disconnect Phonak from Other devices - Turn off Bluetooth on your cellphone and ANY other devices you have used with the Phonak Hearing Aids via Bluetooth before.

Step 2. Get the Avantree Bluetooth transmitter into Pairing mode.
Orbit pairing mode
TC500 series pairing mode
TC418P pairing mode
DG80 pairing mode
DG60 pairing mode

Step 3. G et your Phonak into Pairing mode- Turn OFF and ON the Phonak Hearing Aids. (It will go into the pairing mode for 3min)

Step 4. Connected Successfully - Keep them within distance, wait for them to pair and connect

How to Use HEARING AIDS with an Avantree Transmitter

Nowadays, many hearing aids do not support third party Bluetooth transmitters. To confirm if yours is compatible with Avantree Bluetooth transmitters, we need to know the following -

1. When you pair your hearing aids with your iPhone or android phone, do you use an app?
  2. Do you use Bluetooth function ONLY or you also need to use other settings, e.g. Accessibility function from Setting menu?
  3. Can you hearing aids enter a special blue and red fast flashing pairing mode?

If your answer to question 1 and 2 are YES, but NO to question 3, then most likely your hearing aids will not work with 3rd party Bluetooth transmitters. If your answer to question 3 is YES, then, it is likely your hearing aids can work with other brands Bluetooth transmitters.

Of course, the easiest way is to ask your hearing aids company this question - “Will my hearing aids working with other brands Bluetooth transmittters on the market?”.

If the answer it YES, then you can use with it with Avantree Audikast plus, Avantree Oasis Plus, as well as Avantree Orbit.

Even if your hearing aids cannot pair up with our Bluetooth transmitter directly, the alternative solution is to have a pair of wireless over the ear headphone set and it will work outside of your hearing aids and serve the purpose for you. You can search for Avantree HT5009 or Opera.

Thanks for your thoughts/input. If I get their device I will add review here.