Tube in ear drum for fluid draining

I have issues with fluid build up behind my right ear drum I have no ear drum in my left ear due to past surgeries. My ear doc says that he can put in a tube in my right ear drum if this condition persists. The thing is, I don’t want to mess with my ear drum if there’s a possibility of something going wrong. I know that this is a common procedure. Any thoughts?:
This fluid build up condition typically happens in the spring and clear up after several months. It’s annoying when it causes my hearing to sound distorted when playing music.

0 Likes

I had them on a couple occasion as a kid but with recovery capabilities of adults, particularly those that have been around the sun a few times, I’m not sure I’d want to risk it.
It’s pretty much chronic for me. If I blow them out with the valsalva then it’s briefly better. I think it has to do with the eustachian tubes. I should look into the thingy 1Bluejay was mentioning in another thread.

0 Likes

Something could “go wrong” either way. If you want to minimize risk, I’d let your ear doc know that’s your priority and see what he recommends.

0 Likes

yes, this is definitely an issue with my eustachian tubes. I have eustachian tube dysfuncion. i do the valsalva maneuver but I have a cold from hell and my tubes are blocked with concrete, seemingly.

I tend to be conservative and so am disinclined to get the tubes–even tho’ they’re placed regularly. Thanks for the replies; keep 'em coming! I may be over cautious.

0 Likes

Yeah don’t be blowing it out with a cold from hell. With just the one ear I’d be awfully darn cautious to fiddle with it. But that’s me.

0 Likes

actually my left ear–the one that the dr.s tell me has no ear drum–is my best ear in terms of hearing. It was explained to me once but I don’t fully understand. I had a lot of reconstructive surgery as a child. My hearing isn’t that bad, in the grand scheme of things!

today I started a round of antibiotics and hope this will help.

0 Likes

Search tympanoplasty on the web.

0 Likes