Trying to understand Sound Recover

My Sound Recover on my Phonak Naidas are on maximum.

What does that actually mean, do I only hear everything below 1000htz, like 250htz and 500htz?

Phonak Pro website is just getting me very confused.

Having it on maximum sounds good for me unlike what some people have said, doesn’t sound un natural but then I’m profoundly deaf so I wouldn’t know what is natural or un natural.

I would think that it’s compressing the sound as much as possible into a lower frequency area…it doesn’t mean you aren’t hearing sounds in those areas, it means you are hearing them at a lower frequency point. I can’t remember off the top of my head what the maximum point is but I think it’s somewhere around 1500-2500Hz…

Thanks. That makes sense :slight_smile:

I wonder how your audiogram look like.
Sound recover works only when you have more loss in the high frequencies than mid frequncies. If your loss is flat or highs are better than mids soundrecover should be disabled.

They say it can benefits flat losses. I’ve noticed a huge improvement with sound recover. I’ve got a flat loss with my 250 freq being worse on both ears. Even with the drop in 250 freq, it’s still described as a flat loss.
Even with flat loss, the high freq is not audiable.

I don’t think so. I read a lot about sound recover. Let me give you an example:

8 people are sitting on a 8 big chairs, persons # 6, 7 and 8 got their chaiis broken , so numbers 3, 4 and 5 have them sit with them on their own chairs. They are all sitting but not comfortable. Sound recover shifts high frequncies(only) to mid frequncies. It can be shifted up to maximum 1500 and no more.
If your mail problem is low or mid frequencies then soundrecover is not for you. It doesn’t shift lows to highs.
I did self programming with IPFG and know this very well.

Oh thank God…Finally someone who self-programs their own hearing aid has spoken up to clear up sound recover and who should and should not use hearing it in the black and white terms that fitting hearing aids always falls into. It’s so awesome that all your years of experience fitting hearing aids and dealing with various hearing losses and people help you to give advice about whether a circuit will help someone or not…OH WAIT…your sampling is a size of ONE.

I’m thrilled that you have found success with self-programming has worked so well FOR YOU. Yes Sound recover is designed to move highs to lower frequencies but you have NO CLUE what is going on inside this person’s cochlea (and neither do I or anyone else for that matter) or brain so to completely write off soundrecover for everyone with a specific hearing loss because, in theory, it shouldn’t help based on your limited readings and experience, is ridiculous. If being on works for someone…use it! If it doesn’t work or make things better, don’t use it!! Naida is telling you that with his loss, Sound recover helps and yet you keep telling him it doesn’t. It’s almost guaranteed that someone with a flat loss is going to have healthier mid frequency hair cells than high frequency hair cells…so moving those sounds to a slighly lower frequency should make those sounds more audible/clear to the wearer.

There is a lady on all deaf that has a 110db low freq then NR for her high freq. her loss is classed as flat and she benefited HUGHLY from sound recover!

Ok no problem. I agree. We should try it with everyone and see. :slight_smile:

sound recover takes highs and basically does a copy and paste to the lower mid-range freq if those areas are also poor then sound recovery isn’t really doing anything for you. I know the Siemens and Starkey even say not to use it if you are using one of their higher powered receivers. but, without seeing your audio-gram it’s all pretty much a guess.

sigh…

No. Sound recover uses frequency compression which “squishes” higher frequency sounds into a slightly lower area. Starkey uses the “copy and paste” method which takes the sounds, copies, and then adds them to a different frequency (presumably lower) area while leaving the high frequency area in it’s original location. Widex uses a “cut and paste” method (frequency extender) where it takes high frequency sounds, cuts them completely out and then pastes them into a lower frequency area.

All companies have “suggested use” guidelines, but they are suggestions…not iron-clad rules. Try one, try another until you find something that works. I’d miss helping a lot of people as well as I have if I never thought outside the suggested fitting rules each manufacturer proposes.

lol, sound recover works for me with a pretty much flat loss apart from 8000htz is 5db better and my 250htz is worse then the rest.

I CAN hear so much more then when I had my Superfront aids. I can hear birds altho not all birds, I can hear my brother from upstairs altho I can’t actually understand him. I can hear all keys on a piano altho I’m aware that I’m properly not hearing the piano the same as a hearing person.

I CAN UNDERSTAND MORE SPEECH WITHOUT LIPREADING! A BIG IMPROVEMENT OVER MY SUPERFRONT HAS!

All these things, I could not do with my Superfronts aids. This tells me that sound recover works for me, more so my right then my left.

we sure sigh a lot these days don’t we? sound recovery type programs from all the vendors do basically the same thing in different ways but it all amount to trying to move the higher freq’s lower one way or the other. NadiaUP, ask a lot of questions and has yet to my knowledge posted an audio-gram. she also answer a lot of questions as if she knows what she is talking about and then ask silly question about dropping an aid and what to do to clean a ear hoop. my answer would be to read the manual. sinc you are a self proclaimed Phonaks fan I’ll leave the Phonaks information to you but don’t assume to be an expert on all the brands. I would bet $100 if someone turned off her sound-recover without her knowing it she would still preach the wonders of sound recover.

Not silly questions really about ear hooks. My last pair DID NOT have a damper so would of just put them under water and let them dry over night. I am unable to do that now and my manual states nothing about what to do with ear hooks.

Regarding sound recover and whether I would notice if it will be turned off, YES. My Audi tried that and I came back the next day asking for it to be turned back on as o felt as deaf as I was with my Superfront aids.

Dropping my aid, yes I ask a question as the only othe time I dropped an aid in my life, it STOPPED working so I knew I needed to get it repaired! I wanted other people’s options on what to do as my naida is STILL WORKING, but they say try and not drop HAs on hard surfaces. I just wanted other people views that all!!!

MICK SHU PLEASE DON’T JUDGE ME!!!

I don’t think some people here understand Deaf culture vs HoH. IRL communication for the Deaf is more difficult, and the Internet is a way many get around that. http://www.alldeaf.com/ Just because Naida posts things that may seem trivial to others is no reason to ignore her. She has a loss of approximately 105 db across frequencies and ears-- what don’t you understand about that? She is glad to have HA’s that help her communicate, and is very dependent on them.

Mick Shu is trollish, take what you want, and leave the rest. He would deny HA’s to the profoundly deaf, and really doesn’t think they help. :frowning: I would suspect that he has never known any profoundly deaf IRL.

Besides which, I suspect that Naida is young, probably under 22. They use the internet differently than most of us oldsters.

lol, you are right about my age and you are totally right about what you said about the other person, I’ve met others like that and I never agree with what they say :slight_smile:

BULLSHIT… pull your head out of your butt!

here’s my recent audio-gram from the VA.
0250.Hz L-050 R-050
0500.Hz L-075 R-075
1000.Hz L-090 R-095
2000.Hz L-090 R-095
3000.Hz L-095 R-120
4000.Hz L-105 R-120
6000.Hz L-110 R-n/r
8000.Hz L-110 R-n/r

:eek: Sorry Maybe if you had that info on your sig, we would understand you better.

My dear.
I am also a profound deaf person and still looking for a suitable aid that would enable me to understand speech.
It is not only difficult to live among people who expect you to understand what they say while you don’t , but also the main problem in our lives.