Trying New Oticon Opn

I have been wearing hearing aids over 50 years now.

I have a new pair of Oticon Opn ITE aids that I am just now trying. However, after reading so many great things about these aids, and being very excited about receiving them, I am very very disappointed in these aids, when they adjust them for me, they seem to lose clarity and sound levels. They don’t sound right in my ears. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try a different brand?

Please help

Have you always worn ITE?
Have you always worn Oticon?
Did you use the same audiologist?

@gailbarton3 can you post your audiogram. Here is a link with detailed instructions on how to add your audiogram so everyone can access it by clicking the icon next to your username. You can see my audiogram if you click on the icon next to my username.

There are a lot of experienced members on this board that will be able offer helpful advice based on your hearing loss.

I’ve been using OPN 1 aids since last February and I love them. However, they aren’t a perfect fit for everyone.

I have worn ITE for about 20 years now. Would not go back to behind the ear. My present aids are over 5 years old and are Phonak. Yes I use the same audiologist. My hearing loss is nerve deafness and is severe to profound since birth. They keep trying to adjust the Oticon but they don’t seem to sound right to me. No matter the adjustments. Maybe I need to try a different brand.

Check out this post by " Volusiano ". He is IMO the forum expert on the Oticon OPN hearing aids. He has written many detailed posts about the OPN and you should be able to get a better understanding of the OPN (pronounced ‘Open’) paradigm vs the hearing model used by other hearing aids.

How long have you been trialing the OPN?

You should post your audiogram to help establish a baseline of your hearing loss first for reference.

The OPN CIC is a fairly new release. Before that it only existed in the form of the RIC only. I only have personal experience with the RIC form. You would think that the the CIC form should sound the same as the RIC form in theory.

If you seem to have problems with the OPN CIC, and your audi doesn’t know how to resolve the issue, one option is to try another HA brand/model. Another thing to try if your audi is willing to help is to try out the OPN RIC briefly to see if it sounds better or not. Maybe the CIC version is under powered for your hearing loss.

One possibility that can cause losing clarity and sound levels is because your audi started you on the automatic adaptation functionality, where the volume is supposed to be lowest in phase 1, then louder in phase 2, then at the normal level in phase 3. These phases are adjustable time periods.

I’m surprised you are wearing ITE considering your hearing loss. I have mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss, which I have had since birth and always worn BTE with ear moulds. My hearing loss is considered too severe to wear ITE or even RIC models. Surely you need more power than you have currently?

If you have worn Phonak previously, you will find Oticon different in terms of sound. Before I transferred to Oticon twelve years ago, I had Phonak hearing aids. But as someone above says, there are different phases as it introduces you to how the OPNs sound gradually.

I didn’t realize that the OP has posted her/his? hearing loss audiogram yet. That’s why I asked the OP to post up the audiogram so we can see if the hearing loss can be handled by the CIC or not.

But you’d think that the audi should have already qualified that the OP’s hearing loss can be fitted with CICs in the first place.

Yeah. Guess so. But I have had an audiologist say I could fit RIC when it actually wouldn’t have been suitable for me. They admitted my hearing loss was quite challenging for them and were not sure how to deal with it. So, sometimes there are audiologists who actually may be inexperienced or may never see some types of hearing loss rather than just being a qualified audiologist.

The OP said they had severe to profound loss, I’m assuming in all frequencies although they have not given clarification. I have severe to profound loss in the high frequencies and I am not suitable for RIC and open domes. I would lose too much sound. But it’s all individual of course so perhaps they are suitable for ITE etc. I could technically fit the 105db, but it wouldn’t give me as much gain as the BTEs.

I’m just interested and really curious to see how it would be possible to have ITE etc for the type of hearing loss that the OP and I have.

I will get a copy of my audiogram and post it here. However, I have been told that some of the ITE models are much stronger now and are compatible with my hearing loss. The audiologist has tried adjusting them numerous times now. I am fairly certain that I am going to return them and perhaps try a different brand. I will be checking out other places near me next week, Connect Hearing being one and also Costco.I am in Ontario Canada.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help, I really appreciate everything.

Yes, you’re right, the OP did say this and I completely missed this. Usually CIC models are not strong enough in the past and can only serve moderate hearing loss. But maybe now there are stronger models available.

But if the stronger CIC models don’t work out no matter what brand the OP tries, then obviously the OP may need to go back to RIC or BTE.

Oticon themselves rate some of their ITE models as mild to severe. None of them are listed as suitable for a profound loss. I looked on their professional site but couldn’t find the detailed specs.

Here it is

Figured. Was hopeful for a minute there although I knew it was very unlikely!

Hopefully the OP will find a hearing aid suitable whether it’s ITE or not. Best of luck!

The Opn algorithm depends on having a directional mic, so I am not sure how the CIC could be the same.

Very true. I forgot about that. I think you give up a lot of the good stuff from the OPN by going to the CIC form. The OpenSound Navigator is very dependent on the multiple mics not just for binaural and directional stuff, but also on noise reduction as well.

They’ve admitted it ‘only’ gives 1.5dB SNR improvement over their previous model in single mic guise. They claimed 4.5dB improvement with the twin mic version.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure when I asked the local rep about that they pretty much said, “Pinna effect”.

Which is hardly something to pitch over every other model of CIC, easpecially when the BT aerial makes them more like an ITC size in your ‘average’ canal.

I have worn hearing aids for almost as long as you…42 years.

If you have been wearing full In The Ear hearing aids for a severe to profound loss, it has likely been analog and it has likely been at the edge of it’s abilities.

Look at my audiogram. I am in the moderate to severe range. In the late 80s, I tried analog CIC aids, they were too underpowered for me and I went back to the full in the ear shell. When I went to digital in 2007, it was the first time for BTEs for me since my first hearing aid in 76-78. In 1978, I went to ITEs and was with that form factor until 2007. Since 2007, I have been in BTEs.

Look, if it is vanity, you have a choice… Hear well or not. BTEs are tiny compared to what they once were. I wear glasses too. My hearing aids are Monza Red. Why? So that they are visible if they fall out… and I like it. You have normal hearing people walking around with every manner of headphone, earbud, headset… Really…nobody cares. Listen to me buddy…it isn’t 1965 or 1975. No one is going to be calling you 4 ears.

Now go to that audiologist and have them fit you with something appropriate for your loss.