Try/trying/test/testing not trialing/trialed

Friends: every now and then my 40 years of writing and editing makes me wince when I read that xxx I trialed the XYZ kumquat hearing aid xxx or I’m trialing device ABC xxx

Nope: you will try/test device X, you are trying/testing device Y, or maybe even you are conducting a trial of device Z, or have one for a trial period.

Yes, our language evolves, but adding “ed” or “ing” to the end doesn’t necessarily make it a word.

And thus endeth my grouchy old journalism major grumble for the day.

2 Likes

Language evolves. Get.over.it. It’s very trying to not just roll with it. I’ve done a lot of writing and editing over the years in my line of work, and sometimes you just have to buck up and go along.

It’s been 23 years since the rule about two spaces after a period was eliminated, yet I still find myself doing that, though.

4 Likes

:+1:t2: And then, there were two!:grin:

I, too, struggle to just use one space. Meanwhile, I think I’ll spend the evening trialing the new Volvos.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with eliotb. That we have to explain what we meant when using a new phrase or word is evidence that communication has suffered. A trial and a test are two different things. Each has nuances of meaning that we lose if we interchange them. Yes, language evolves, but people become less articulate. Each of us can choose to “roll” with it or retain the skill of being able to communicate in more interesting and colorful ways. It’s like losing a craftsmanship that has been handed down over many generations.

1 Like

English is very flexible, and we often verbize nouns. However, having said that, I think the meaning of trial is too formal for one person informally trying something and reporting the results. It’s one datum.