TruHearing--is there a catch?

This is very interesting. I was profoundly disappointed in my audi (used them since 2016) when they told me my out of pocket would range $3000-$4200 for a pair. Had decided to go to Costco and called BCBS to ask how to process a claim. They told me about TruHearing and so I called. I was NOT told I would be using their brands. In addition, the closest audiologist in their practice was …you guessed it, my usual audi!

I think I will call the audiologist office and discuss this with them. Maybe they will give me a better price. If not, I’ll be getting the KS10s from Costco (I’d prefer the Phonak Audeo Life).

Your aunt is 98 years old. She buys her aids based on price. My father is 95 years old. We both want what’s best for them. But I’ve learned that since he has all his faculties he decides what’s best for him. I can advise but the bottom line is he decides and I leave it alone. When people reach that age in life a lot of things that we may consider important, to them no longer are. Everyone they knew are gone usually including spouse, children, friends, and relatives. I tend to just back off and consider myself fortunate to still spend time with him. Many don’t have that opportunity. I wish your aunt the best.

4 Likes

I tried TruHearing because my insurer claimed to have a thing with them. I told them exactly what I wanted (just a later model of the Resounds I already had). The TruHearing people referred me to a distant audiologist that doesn’t even handle Resound and tried to sell me some other brand. They’re customer support was NON RESPONSIVE in trying to get a referral that I wanted.

I ended up with a similar company called YesHearing. They were very responsive and sent the audiologist right to me. We even avoided some time because I was able to send him my currently obtained (was just at the ENT/Audiologist for other issues) audiogram. It couldn’t have gone smoother (and they even through in the upgraded charger when I asked as to whether that had been included in the quite (it hadn’t)).

If the audiologist came to you, what about a soundproof environment and Real Ear Measurements?

1 Like

I didn’t need the audiogram as I had done one recently in the office. He was there just to fit the aids. I don’t know how they handle it if you are going from scratch. The guy they sent to me was moonlighting from some other practice as near as I can tell.