Tried the Baha but they want me to start with custom molds!

@jeffrey thanks for this information my left ear is completely dead but I hear fine with cros aids and I have a mild to profound high frequency loss in my right ear. I don’t know if the fact that it is dead means the cochlear nerve is affected but I was wondering if maybe it was time to ask about the Baha because I’ve always been prone to infections but since getting my moulds for my cros aids i no longer get infections but in the last few weeks my left ear has been getting very hot in the canal and I had it looked at when I had a routine appointment about a week ago and no sign of infection they reckon it’s just irritation from the mould but they are brand new got them in April and no sign of it being damaged or cracked like my old ones. So thinking maybe my left ear is becoming less tolerable to having the hearing aid in it

@LRav

Googling tells you the answer. It’s near the bottom of the attachment, the answer.

The Cochlear Osia will provide some amplification for your ear with hearing loss.

The question is whether it can provide enough high frequency gain for your profound loss in the highs. I’m not too sure on that. You’ll be able to find info on Google.

@Zebras thanks for that i was thinking of asking about the Baha for the left ear and then wondered if maybe i would be able to use the nathos nova pr for my right ear. I hope that the Baha osia will provide enough for my left ear but don’t know i have an ent appointment in a couple of months so will ask then and will do some research in the mean time about the osia

@LRav

The BAHA would go on your left but transfer to the cochlear on your right with the right amount of gain for your right.

You would still be only hearing with your right ear.

I am not 100% if you could wear an Aid for your right and a BAHA as it might damage your cochlear from too much power but please note, I am not an expert.

I wear my BTE aids along with the Osia all the time, when playing or listening to live music. I turn the Osia down, but it still provides good amplification for the high decibels where my loss is worse. So it’s a both-and rather than an either-or. That said, I only use the Osia when just dining out or visiting with friends or going to the store. It’s plenty.

IF your auditory nerve is functional, and IF those little cochlear hairs are (mostly) functioning, then a BAHA should work. If your conductive loss involves the bony structures of the ear, it should work.

I’m not an expert either! I jsut wear the darn thing. But this is my understanding. If you have massive loss of cochlear hair cells, it may not work. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure but I’m pretty certain this last is true. But then, a traditional aid won’t work for those lost freqeuncies either…right?

@jeffrey @Zebras thank you both for the useful information I’ll ask more about the cochlear osia and that at my yearly ent appointment in November and see what they say. I really don’t know if it would work or not at this moment in time because i have no idea on if the nerve is working enough for it to be or some benefit or if the nerve is just dead. I will see what happens in November

You don’t need your dead ear nerve to be working as BAHAs work for SSD.

As you use a hearing aid in your other ear, yes your nerve is working.

@Zebras Ok i know they work by bypassing the middle ear and going straight to the cochlear but i wasn’t sure if that mean’t the cochlear nerve on my dead ear side had to be working in order for it to pick up the sound and that is what I’m not sure about

@LRav

No as I said earlier. The BAHA goes on your dead side and transfers sound to your hearing / better ear but also amplifies your HOH ear as well.

That’s why it works for SSD.

It works on vibration so vibrates to the other side of your head.

It does mean only 1 x BAHA but I guess you could wear a HA on the other side if your hospital allow it?

@zebras thanks so much for clarifying that i wasn’t really understanding that bit before i hope they would let me wear a hearing aid for my right ear because without i would still struggle even with the Baha osia on my left because the high frequencies on my right side are very hard to pick up unaided i can’t hear birds or anything along that kind of frequency and speech is hard in public

The BAHA would be set to your hearing loss so you wouldn’t struggle to hear high frequencies. It would just be placed on your dead side. As I said before, the sound vibrates to the other side of the head.

My baha is placed on my right side, over my poorest hearing ear. Like a normal hearing aid. In other words, the Osia is placed near the ear that it’s boosting. I still have pretty good hearing in my left ear.

@jeffrey

BAHAs for someone with SSD is placed differently.

BAHAs for SSD works like a CROS, thats the whole point so no need to place it on her good side, other wise she would get the head shadow.

Yep, thanks for clarifying, Zebras.

I thought the OP had hearing in both ears, as he spoke of going with “molds” plural.