Transition from Phonak Marvel to Phonak Paradise

Hi folks, I am picking up a new set of Phonak Paradise 90’s 13’s next week, I like to get the best I can afford, so I decided to upgrade every couple of years… Boots here in the UK do a very good deal at around 3300 USD with my discount for a pair of Paradise 90’s, payable interest free over 2 years, in my book that’s a no brainer as interest free will always win hands down :smile: My Audi let me have a wee shot in Boots, they did sound somewhat more crisper than my Marvels and you can now have multiple Bluetooth connections. I got a new audiogram done a month or so back (I have still to update it on this forum) as I was struggling a bit with my Marvels, unfortunately it turns out I now have a few dead spots in my left ear, my Audi also thought my custom molds were not functioning properly so she sent them both off for repair, so I was using the soft domes for a couple of weeks over the festivities, not ideal but better than nothing. I am a realest and I am acutely aware that given my level of loss I am always going to struggle in adverse acoustic environments… Have any of you guys and girls made the transition from Marvel to Paradise, your thoughts would be much appreciated, in truth I expect a very subtle improvement and any improvement however slight is very much welcomed… Cheers Kev.

Have you been wearing the Naida M90 aids?
Thanks

1 Like

A Phonak Paradise Ultra aid is rumored to come out early this year so you might want to explore that before buying the Paradise 90. With your hearing loss, you’ll do better with a power aid with a size 675 battery. Also I doubt you’ll see that much difference in aid performance between a Marvel aid an the Paradise 90. These are both relatively new aids that don’t have the “gain” of a power aid - which you need.

3 Likes

No Raudrive, just been using the Marvel 90’s 13’s, I have used Nadia’s in the past, I still have a set of Nadia B’s I believe? I do well with the Marvels and I am an excellent lip reader, been using HA’s for 30 plus years and did a fair bit of self programming over the years, I have Target 7.0 and Noah Link Wireless, but the Audi I use is brilliant and she knows her stuff, so apart from the very rare tweaks by myself, I leave the Marvels as is :smile: a slight bit more clarity would be a blessing… Cheers Kev

2 Likes

I am acutely aware mazda4me of the limitations and indeed expectations of my hearing loss, I was at one time a hearing support worker, working with both Big D and little d, I can sign in BSL, I have done lip reading classes and I am fairly proficient in both… My expectations are fairly low, a little bit more clarity would be enough for me… Cochlear Implants would be the answer but unfortunately my means doesn’t stretch that far and due to financial constraints the NHS will not oblige me with a set. Thank you for your input… Cheers Kev.

@Blacky and @zuikoholic I believe have worn both M and P Phonak aids. I know Blacky wrote quite a bit about comparing them. Jim did also but I don’t remember the details. Maybe they will join in here or if you search their posts you will find the comparisons.
Good luck

1 Like

Hello Kev,

I trialed the Marvel for a short period of time just prior to the release of the Paradise and then trialed (and purchased) the P70R.
For me the Paradise seemed to have a slightly clearer and more balanced sound. Music sounds better to me on the Paradise. The difference in sound quality is subtle but noticeable.

The biggest difference is that the bluetooth works better on the Paradise. It pairs easier and faster and also stays paired better. People on the other end complained about sound quality with the Marvel, they don’t now that I have the Paradise.

Jim

3 Likes

Thank you Raudrive… cheers Kev.

Yeah thank you for that info Zuikoholic… I only tried them for 5 or 10 minutes and the voice of the Lady Audi sounded immediately crisper, twas a very subtle difference but enough of one to make me go for them… One thing that struck me was I was struggling with The Audi with her mask on using the Marvels, but with the Paradise there was a subtle increase clarity and I was able to follow her much more easily :smile: They also sounded different but in a way I liked, multiple Bluetooth connections are also a bonus…I use the high powered RIC’s custom molds, but the actual receivers seem to blow every 10 months or so, perhaps because they are maxed out? Just got my Marvel RIC molds repaired, so I will now have a spare set of custom molds for any future repairs, I can change my hearing aid receiver wires in about 30 seconds. Thank you for your input. Cheers Kev.

2 Likes

I would be really interested to know how you get on with your transition. I am steps behind you and thinking about it. Improvements in music listening and singing in a group and better Bluetooth would make a world of difference for me. The app adjustments for the Marvel 90 really do not help with any significant improvements. Monika

1 Like

I will post up once I have them a few days Monika…Probably one of my biggest gripes since I lost my hearing in my 30s and all music nowadays sounds outa tune and my hearing was almost pitch perfect prior to my loss, did some roady work at music festivals, I loved all types of music from Rock to folk to classical, but perhaps folk was my favourite, now days I only listen to 60’s 70’s and early 80’s, from that era I can recall what it should sound like from memory and kinda switch off to what I am actually hearing… Cheers Kev.

1 Like

I trialed the Marvels and returned them disappointed. When I tried the Paradise I was amazed at how crisp and clear the sound was, as well as how it really zoomed in on who was speaking. I purchased the Paradise and am so happy with them!

2 Likes

Thank you for your that info JulieMK… I look forward to perhaps experiencing that… A little more clarity would be a welcome bonus, but I did notice for the short time I had them on, the paradise did seem much crisper with a slightly different sound. Although I am under no illusions with my level of loss and I will never see any truthfully perfect hearing aid solution, perhaps Cochlear Implants some day, but that’s not a financially viable option at present. Cheers Kev

I hope you like them! Please keep us posted:)

1 Like

Same fitter, same process?

If not, then unfortunately, this was apples to oranges comparison.

If yes, I’d definitely like to hear more about thr differences :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will post up a few days after I have tried them out:-)

Wow, it seems the Speech Enchancer works good for you! :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

That’s me 4 days into using the Paradise 90’s with the P13 batteries… Here are my impressions; Speech Enhancement was set very high by my Audi, 105% I believe? The PM Aids are much crisper and seem to focus better in speech and indeed birdsong when I am out for a walk, on these walks the farm road runs parallel to the main trunk road which is approximately a mile or so away, normally with the Marvels I will hear that traffic roaring, but with the Paradise it was more of a gentle hum, which I only hear if I looked in the general direction of the trunk road. I can now hear the kitchen clock ticking away again, but only when I look at it directly, so the beam forming technology most definitely works. Any conversations I have had have been clearer and more concise, tis funny I am hearing words now that I would not have heard before and actually asking folk to repeat just to double check! Apart from TV background noise I have not been able to test in a crowded situation, but I am hearing fairly well with the TV on and my wife chatting away… In my car with my wife driving and again chatting away I was picking up nearly everything that she said, there was extremely minimal background noise from the engine and heating fans, quite amazingly so. Having the ability to have multiple Bluetooth connections is a blessing, I have only connected to my lap top and iPad so far and both give out a fairly pristine sound with no dropouts, your cell phone always takes precedence over whatever else you are connected to, one nice feature if you are watching say a uTube video it will automatically pause until you take a message or a call, you just restart the video manually :smile: Unfortunately the double tap on your ear to answer a cell phone call is not a feature with the P13 batteries version, tis no big hardship. In conclusion, I would say these Paradise Aids are superior to the Marvels, voices are clearer, background noise is greatly reduced, they sound different to Marvels in a way I like, multiple Bluetooth connections is a welcome bonus and all in all an excellent hearing aid… cheers Kev

Good luck with the Paradise 13T, though using temporarily soft domes must subdue the aids some what. Probably also causing feed back. Hoping Phonak comes out with a Paradise UP in the near future, but when I review the Audeo P 13T fitting chart it certainly covers someone with a severe hearing loss. Not so sure about someone with a profound hearing loss, but close. At lease Phonak offers a disposable 13 battery, where the Oticon More unfortunately just offers the rechargeable. For now.

1 Like

Thank you hear2hear, I am using custom RIC moulds with about a 1mm occlusion vent with no actual feedback unless I cup my hands over my ears, apparently these custom moulds are nowadays made via a 3D printer and I am assuming they use ultra power receiver for my severe/profound loss, these receivers probably last 10 months to a year until they need repaired/replaced or they did so with my Marvels, most likely due to the high MPO? Cheers Kev.