Tips for keeping BTE hearing aids in place during exercise

All good Ken. There was certainly more dialog around the interaction.

I’ve never had a child with a hearing disability, but have a child with autism and it’s a challenge. The ability to connect with others is extremely valuable. The “motto” of one of the support groups we belonged to was “You are not alone.” I would guess there are support groups out there for parents of hearing impaired children. A quick online search suggests that there are, but no idea of quality. Not trying to run you off by any means, but it might be more helpful to talk with other parents.

Recent story; How One Boy With Autism Became BFF With Apple’s Siri

1 Like

Absolutely agree. And there are groups, but not many in my area. There had been up until about 3 years ago and I was a faithful attendee. The attendance was always small, but it eventually dried up. I’ve connected with a few local parents so we get to have some dialog. And until someone specifically says ‘go away’ I won’t!

1 Like

^^^^ mdinges: beautifully worded post above there concerning your daughter and the challenge you face on the one hand protecting her from bullies, and on the other giving her strength and fortitude to meet things head-on.

I also like KenP’s comment: “Explain what a cheap shot is. Tell them the other person is mad about something and using anything to retaliate. They are the one with the problem; not you. If it hadn’t been your hearing aids it would have been something else. It doesn’t mean they are or aren’t your friend. It means they just lost control. Respond by asking why they are being hurtful as she thought she was a friend.” This is a mature way to handle conflict.

But dangit, I am a pit bull when it comes to folks getting in my face or that of folks I love. I absolutely know that I’d be pushing back HARD if anyone said a hurtful thing to me or someone I love. It’s about boundaries, confidence and self-respect. It can start in childhood and safeguard a person clear on through careers, marriage and social life.

I just got an idea! I wonder if mdinges daughter would like a DOG! Now there is responsibility, unconditional love, a bridge to others, and a totally positive way to become more centered and confident. :grinning:

1 Like

Furthermore: there is a thread here on making aids more zany and appealing to the younger folks who wear them. I surfed up to Etsy (following links from an article) and found SO MANY cool doodads and charms to hang off aids. These would not cause any additional rustle or noise that I can think of …

I think I’ll order the sock monkey charms now! :slight_smile:

I like your style 1Bluejay, and thank you.

She’s got a dog, so that gives her two parents and one critter that give her unconditional love!