Tinnitus sufferers using hearing aids for relief: how quickly does it work?

I have had tinnitus since Thanksgiving 1975, it is 24/7/365. I lived with it without aids until May 2005, and have found aids help but doesn’t remove it and I don’t believe there is a cure in sight. I learned to departmentalize my tinnitus an not concentrate on it. My tinnitus is always there but unless I think about it I don’t hear it to the point of it being distracting.

2 Likes

I have found that tinnitus setting on aids dont help me at all and are a distration. Im used to my tinnitus these days and the only time bothered by it is when i have a cold. Although my tinnitus rages best during any hearing test. Once in that soundproof booth with headphones on, my tinnitus rules. I need heavy masking or im leaning on the clicker constantly, even with no test tones being delivered.
Not sure if true, but I once had read that with hearing loss, our brains fill in our missing frequencies with tinnitus sounds. Our brain knows we should be hearing certain frequencies so when we no longer can hear them, our brain fills in the missing freqs with their own “sounds”. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Tnx

1 Like

Interesting article on Tinnitus @mr.smithster, quote below is from this article…. Cheers Kev :wink:

“If the hairs inside your inner ear are bent or broken — this happens as you age or when you are regularly exposed to loud sounds — they can “leak” random electrical impulses to your brain, causing tinnitus”

2 Likes

TED talk on Tinnitus

WH

2 Likes

Thank you for the video @WhiteHat , very interesting. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

CPAP , if it’s a Philips Respironics every one the built prior to April 2021 has 2bclass 1 recalls, one for off gassing cancerous compounds the other for foam breakdown both of which are inhaled into the lungs

Tinnitus, what’s that? Just kidding. Mine was my normal hearing. In the 5th grade I’d tune the old tube based TVs by matching the tone I heard by tweaking the horizontal sync while never being told nor looking at the TV. That was 1950 or so. I’m sure I had it before then but have no recollection of it. So 24/7/365/decades.
This is my normal state. It was always with me. Doesn’t everyone have this? Hearing tests. I was always told I have no problem. Just the simple hear the tone test.

In recent years those I love told me that I have a hearing loss and that Tinnitus can be treated now. So I found an Audiologist that treats Tinnitus, she has it, and. Scheduled a hearing test. Lo and behold a moderate to severe loss, predominately in one ear. She started with the typical tone test, but with a series so I’d recognize it, then she continued with words I repeated and then the crowded restaurant scene that quickly just swallowed the conservation I was following. I’ve never had these voice tests performed, ever

The good news is she thinks she might be able to cure my Tinnitus but it will take about 18 months. I’ve just completed my 3rd week with my first HAs, and next Friday she will start my Tinnitus treatment. She did say something about subsonic sound.

Tinnitus and hearing loss were my normal for a long, long time.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @fred1…. Don’t want to be pessimistic, but for me, I would take your A.uD’s claim of curing Tinnitus in 18 months, with a pinch of proverbial salt, and give this person a very wide berth! Unfortunately… There is no cure for Tinnitus, anyone at present claiming otherwise, are using this as a sales tactic… I would therefore avoid!!! Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@fred1 I have to agree. If the VA could fix my tinnitus, they would save a huge load of money. They have already spent so much helping me live with it. It may be curable some day. But not yet. Best right now is learning to live with it.

TED talk on Tinnitus

Josef Rauschecker on Sleep and Serotonin Impact on Tinnitus

WH

2 Likes

I don’t think we will ever see a cure for tinnitus in our lifetime. The same for hearing loss

1 Like

I have had tinnitus since the late 80’s and also learned to live with it like @cvkemp . Mine is tonal ringing and varies day to day and increases based on stress levels. My hearing aids have helped tremendously. They help push the tinnitus way to the back of the sound field to the point that it is basically un noticed most of the time. I still get what I call “flair-ups” when it can over power my aids and most other outside noise. But for the most part it helps as soon as I put the aids in.

2 Likes

Same here. I have had tinnitus since the 90’s. Hearing aids are a big help but that buzzing won’t go away… ever. I have learned to cope with it. When I am having a bad day I get a good pair of earphones and blast some good old rock & roll just loud enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes