Tinnitus during hearing test?

Has anyone here ever experienced what I would call “phantom tinnitus”?

Every time I get in the test, as soon as they start presenting the beeps, my tinnitus changes to the exact pitch and resonance of the beep. It makes for a terrible time if they decide to give me the exact same beep a second time, because then I don’t think there is a second one, just the same one as before, and I don’t respond. GAH! I wish there was a way for us to be more in control of the tests.

0 Likes

I know what you mean… Almost as if the tinnitus locks onto the frequency of the audeo test… It’s a pain because without repeating the frequencies in a different order, it’s hard to tell what right.

0 Likes

Happens all the time to me.
Probably has for at least the last 15 years.
It is disconcerting.
If you tell the audiologist sometimes they can use a warbler tone which does seem to help me.

1 Like

I get this every time due to the quiet environment of it. It most certainly makes it more difficult to hear test sounds. I wonder how much?!

0 Likes

Definitely happens to me too. I had one audiologist use warble tones instead of constant tones, and those were much easier to differentiate against the tinnitus. Maybe something worth asking about?

0 Likes

Thanks!
I have matched mine at two tones and volumes, 1000 KHZ 70 DB, and 8,000 at 50.

many years ago, I saw an ENT, who diagnosed me with low freqeuncy hearing loss at a moderate level. At the time I had no tinnitus. Then, several years ago, I went in for several more hearing tests, now with the tinnitus and they said I had severe loss, and they were shocked I could still speak. I told them my hearing was bad, but not THAT bad and asked if the tinnitus could have been involved. They said no, tinnitus plays no part in a hearing test.

0 Likes

I once went in for a test, sans tinnitus. My low freqencies were what they are in my signature, highs were okay. Then, I went in for another test several years later, now with the tinnitus, only to find that now my highs were testing at 50-60 db. I told the tester this, and they told me it was impossible, but I still know for a fact something fishy was up there.

0 Likes

Yes, I experience this too.

Ordinary, I don’t have tinnitus. However, when the headphones clamp on and it goes silent, it often triggers at that point.

I’ve also experienced it being triggered after certain high frequency tones.

Don’t have an issue with it on a day to day basis.

0 Likes

Yep when I am in any truly quiet place with or without my aids my tinnitus goes crazy, but I take my aids out and set in that sound proof booth and my tinnitus really goes into overdrive. I really don’t know how I ever hear any of the beeps.

1 Like

How can I say YES for the 10th time here? Adding nothing new except to confirm that YES, my tinnitis ZINGS so loud that I have a running joke with my aud-guy: I insist on a 20-point “handicap” and we both agree, I PASSED with a perfect score!

LOL. :unamused:

1 Like

I think it would be useful to have a small lamp that illuminates when a tone is being generated.

Of course, for screening tests this would allow cheating, but once a hearing loss is established, it’s in our interest to obtain an accurate result.

Having a visual indication would be good to say yes, I think I hear that or equally, I’m hearing a tone when there is none.

When there is doubt as to whether it’s audible, raise the volume a notch then take it down again to find the true threshold.

0 Likes

I have a terrible time and I’m always afraid they’re going to accuse me of faking it because my results show up as worse than they really are because despite me telling them that, they won’t do anything to change it

0 Likes

I had three tests, all with significant tinnitus and they all showed my thresholds as being at LEAST 30 DB worse than I think they are.
I told them, and asked for warbled tones and got neither, even at an ENT office. Hope I never have to get retested and have differing results in case they flag me lol

0 Likes

I agree, I always had to wait until it was clear that I was hearing a tone, not tinnitus, and by that time the test had insane thresholds because of the tinnitus

0 Likes

Again, I would suggest that while you feel like you tinnitus is interfering significantly, it usually is not. As indicated by your audiologist generally getting consistent, repeatable results. Pulsed tones are equally servicable as the target stimuli and may be preferred by people with tinnitus. Warble tones underestimate steeply sloping losses because of off-frequency hearing.

The definition of threshold that audiologists are working off of requires that you are not otherwise alerted to the presence or absence of the beep. Once you know that it is there, you are making a different sort of judgement about whether you hear it and you are now measuring something else–your brain is doing something slightly different if it is judging whether you perceive something you already know to be there versus perceiving the presence or absence of something. Doing it that way is neither better nor worse theoretically, but it is not the measure that nearly all of modern hearing aid research has been based off of. It may well end up with nearly identical results, but someone would actually need to show that experimentally. It’s not chiropractics.

0 Likes

That’s the thing Neville, I never ever did get a repeatable result, and I told them this, but to no avail.

1 Like

As in, they were telling me I had a severe loss, when only a few years earlier, I had been told moderate, with no discernable difference in hearing on my end, and no hearing aids either. Oh well, the body plays tricks, and tricks again!

0 Likes

Well that seems like a completely different issue. I’d book another test.

1 Like

I will this year. We brought up the issue at two tests and they both blamed the other, or me

0 Likes

Did the actual graphs look substantially different? What you have here is a moderate (moderately severe, borderline severe, depends what the clinician wants to call it) rising to normal (or sometimes mild) in the one ear and mild in the other.

What I mean is, two different clinicians can give slightly different descriptions of what is essentially the same result.

0 Likes