This is a post on battery and connectivity frustrating

This is hearing aid related, I am not talking my More1 aids or any brand of aids but aids in general. My feelings is this I love hearing as well as I do with the More1 aids, but I wish my life was more normal and I didn’t feel so tied to Bluetooth to hear my phone calls. I wish I wasn’t tied so much to streaming the TV by way of a TV adapter, I wish I could just hear the TV the old fashion way. Sure I understand it is no longer possible with my hearing loss and I really appreciate having the Bluetooth connectivity. What is frustrating is batteries. I use to think changing batteries was frustrating, but I believe having rechargeable batteries is as frustrating. I find I don’t stream music anymore, and I use the TV adapter less because I am afraid I will drain the hearing aid batteries before the end of the day. I don’t know what the answer is but I wish that some genius could come up with an answer. I wish I could have two sets of aids, that had the same programming, that could be paired to the same devices, but not connected at the same time, so I could power off one set and power on the second set and continue my day with no noticeable difference in my hearing and connectivity. This would take the cooperation between the device engineers and the hearing aid engineers to come up with the capability. As a person with hearing loss and that depends on hearing aids, and also understands technology I don’t see this as an impossibility. The other frustration is why can’t the cell phone companies at least come together an agree on a standard for hearing aid compatibility.

5 Likes

@cvkemp: Either my ConnectClip mic or my EduMic give me excellent results for listening to TV, and I’m not tied to an adapter. I think that the simplest solution is the best. I can use those 2 devices for pretty well everything, without having to repair or do anything more than turn them on.

I’m with you on rechargeable batteries. This set of More1s is my last rechargeable pair. I’ve already advised my audiologist, and he agrees that disposable batteries suit my situation better than rechargeable batteries, that only hold their nominal charge for a few months before they start to decline.

1 Like

The connect clip for me is becoming less and less important, I am finding that my computing needs is well handled by the iPad, and I mean the cheapest one that I can get under $300, and even less with trade-ins. I have tried the remote mic in the connect clip and it is fine if there is any noise in the area. But it picks up everything. I love using the TV adapter and either muting my microphones on my aids or at least lowering them to remote every other noise. I am really thinking about begging my audiologist to either have Oticon replace my More1 with disposable batteries or asking for the OWN1 ITC aids. My biggest concerns is the anniversary cruise we are taking this February. We will be having some really long days with, late night shows, and all day excursions, in Key West and the Bahamas. Then next summer with a cruise to Alaska and the train across Canada. We are finally trying to scratch off our bucket list.

4 Likes

I see it as an advantage.

More and more hearing people are using and wearing bluetooth ear buds / AirPods etc.

As deaf people, most of the time, i wear my Aids all the time. This means i can leave my iPhone anywhere in my house and I know when I get a call or message.

Hearing people most of the time, do not wear their Bluetooth ear buds all day.

My hearing brother was the one who said i was at an advantage to him.

1 Like

And I see my phone and Bluetooth as turning me into a slave

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Me too - it’s like something out of “1984”.

2 Likes

@SpudGunner I sometimes think I was better off back when my aids were ITE and had no way to adjust volume or programs. I just put them in my ears and forgot them the rest of the day, unless I got a low battery warning. I was able to use the phone like a normal person and didn’t feel like I was a slave to my phone, apps, or aids.

1 Like

@cvkemp: Chuck, I understand completely how you feel …

1 Like

The changes you wish for will only occur if all parties involved made money on the deal. And seeing how much hearing aids cost they don’t strike me as a charitable group

1 Like

I am going to say something you aren’t going to accept. The largest cost you pay for your aids is the audiologist mark up for their services. And I have seen the charities that Oticon gives to and the number of aids and services that the company gives to the needy. I have seen Oticon provide aids to Veterans that didn’t qualify by VA standards. And I have seen VA audiologist volunteer there after hours time adjusting and fitting those aids. So your thinking just isn’t right.

My Resound One’s rechargeables don’t seem to have much issue with battery life lasting a full day, regardless of the amount of time streaming. After a normal streaming day of phone calls, YouTube, and TV streamer and 16+ hours a day use, I am never below 40%. I have clips and mics and they help, but sure would be nice to toss them if only the aids alone could offer what they do

How long have you been wearing them. Mine didn’t show any issues with battery life for the first 14 months. Then it started go down hill.

ReSound Quattro and One rechargeables have a nominal battery life of 30 hours, so they can underperform and yet still hold enough charge for a day’s usage.

1 Like

Wow, Chuck, you are besot with wishful thinking today.
For someone as usually optimistic as yourself, this is really surprising.

Like @Zebras stated, I , too feel that BT is an advantage, and I’ve had the More 1’s as long as you, and have not encountered battery issues (although I had to send them in to Oticon 'cause they were shutting down intermittently).

I also wish I had no hearing aid dependency, but feel blessed that I have the VA as a resource, and and the ability to take full advantage of the wonderful tech that allows me to stream phone calls, and music!

I do agree with you on the Not So Smartphone industry!

1 Like

The More aids can last that long depending on hearing loss and streaming. I tried resound and was happy with the sound and their capability to fit my hearing loss. Maybe with lots of adjustments and dedication of my audiologist I could adapt to them.

I didn’t say I didn’t want to depend on hearing aids, I said I prefer not having to depend on connectivity. I started my hearing aid journey with my first three sets of aids having no connectivity, no volume control, and no program control. I test myself every so often to see if I could do it again and the answer is yes.
So my audiologist and myself continue to strive for adjustments that don’t require volume changes, or program changes. My More1s have been that way, but I believe I have had a hearing change in one of my ears or maybe on of my aids has got an issue that has caused an imbalance and I have to offset the volume of my aids to feel balanced volume wise. It happened once before with the OPN1 aids and they repaired my right hearing aid.
So for me while I am depend on hearing aids, I prefer not to be depend on the connectivity or other devices.
For the ones that came a long after the on set of computers and cell phones you really don’t understand how depend you are on them.
I grew up without even a home landline, no indoor plumbing, and we had at best 3 Chan of black and white TV. Those were the best days. And the type of days that everything is often I go back and enjoy. The peace and quite of living on the land, without electricity and running water or devices demanding your attention.

2 Likes

You do have a point there. Mine are about 10 months old. Did you always have this issue or did it arise as you used more streaming? I could live without my TV streamer… if I lived alone. But I would have a hard time without BT phone streaming. Phones really are bad for us hearing impaired as that tinny speaker is pitiful for high freq loss.

1 Like

Yes, Chuck, you need to go “Off the Grid”!!

1 Like

When I first got my aids I wasn’t afraid to stream what ever or how long I wished. the batteries in the aids started losing capacity at about 14 months of having them. It has gotten to the point that I know long stream music, or as much TV as I used to. While I cannot live without my aids, they are going back to Oticon October 7th for a fully diagnostic and battery change. I will be using my OPNS1 aids for the turn around time. I am also getting my right ear mold replaced, and possibly the left.

1 Like

We all depend way too much on technology and it is going to come back and bite us in the butt one of these days. Just how many could live off the land if it became necessary, how may would know what wild plants are eatable, or how to clean and animal to prepare it for a meal? The day is coming when that just well may be necessary.

2 Likes