Thinking about purchasing Costco Philips 9040 to backup my Oticon Reals

I don’t know the exact answer for it, but somebody on this forum has tried to use the Philips AudioClip in lieu of the Oticon ConnectClip for their Oticon aids unsuccessfully. So along the same vein, I would guess (not sure 100% myself) that the Oticon TV Adapter 3.0 (is that what you’re referring to when you said Connectline?) is most likely not work with the Philips 9040. They’re most likely the same design, but they might have tweaked the software inside to make it work exclusively for Oticon aids only.

1 Like

Yes! it was the oticon tv adapter, Thank you very much for your answer!!

eBay is not for everyone but there are lots of Oticon aids for sale there. I bought a pair of Phonak Marvels to back up my KS9’s and the Marvels have become my #1 aids.

I should have sent the message as a PM to the person that asked.

1 Like

What does this report have to do with Philips 9040?

2 Likes

If it was 6 weeks ago, I presume they were the Jabra Pro 10s, not 20s, right?

To add to this, the Philips 9040 aids probably are manufactured by one of the William Demant HA subsidiaries and the Philips label just gets slapped on it, and the HA products get sold as Philips HAs without Philips ever having done any design or manufacturing work on what they sell.

So if buyers want to boycott buying Philips’ HAs because of their bad ethics in their other products, they’re free to do so, but it should not be over concerns that the Philips’ HAs may cause safety issues like the respirators, but it should only be as a “punishment” for Philips’ bad business ethics, but of course at a personal cost of ruling it out as a purchasing option.

Let’s say if I try both Jabra and Philips aids at Costco and find them on par performance-wise and price-wise, I think it’s OK to decide to go with Jabra instead of Philips as a boycott gesture to Philips. But if I truly prefer the Philips HA over the Jabra HA, I wouldn’t personally shoot myself in the foot and still pick Jabra to boycott Philips. Afterall, Philips only licensed the HA products and doesn’t really make them. OK, they may make a small profit from the aids in lending their brand name as a licensee, but most of the profit will probably go to William Demant as the supplier of the HAs.

But if I had been personally affected like @DaveL had been via the respirator debacle, I would most likely have a strong enough conviction to boycott Philips products going forward no matter what. It’s very understandable. Especially if there are other affordable alternatives like the Jabra aids.

2 Likes

Please note that I have absolutely no knowledge of what Philips may have done with respect to its CPAC products user reports. But I do know that there is often more than one side to a story, and that media that thrives on exposés may not be the most reliable source of information.

As an illustration of style, consider this:

Many readers may not be familiar with the general history of stock prices in the past half century. Between the low in 2011 and the high in 2021, Philips’s stock price about tripled. But during the same period, the S&P average of 500 big company stocks about quadrupled to “the highest levels in decades.”

This media report is written to inflame, and is not a dispassionate factual report. Does that absolve Philips of malfeasance? No.

You’re welcome, and in reading your article, I totally get why you feel that way toward Philips.
That’s some very toxic information!

1 Like

In response to Davel, your posting has nothing to do with Philips HAs or any HA, as has been very tactfully explained. This is a hearing aid site for those who want to learn about hearing aids. Why are you posting on this site? I sympathize with you, but that will not deter me from getting another Philips HA, partly because I know it has nothing to do with your issues.

2 Likes

As has been pointed out on these pages a few times now.

The products made by DeMant, but badged as Philips, share no manufacturing, ownership or R&D with other Philips products. So the comparison with the CPAP equipment is entirely void; just like if I compared the performance to my Philips OLED Tv.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment.

Much appreciated. However, Ive erased it.

Take care.

Yeah, you took quite a beating from the enforcers on this OP!
Sorry.

1 Like

it’s ok. Their choice. My choice how I react. I’m not on here much.

Frankly I’ve been on this forum a lot. But it takes a lot of looking to learn more.
Buying hearing aids and getting them setup should be easy. I’ve had 3 pair of Phonaks. One Widex before, in 20 years.

These are medical devices. I absolutely need to hear better. I’ve had really dangerous encounters on construction sites because I couldn’t hear. And that was why I got the Paradise Audeo P90R’s.

1 Like

Just to update the thread. I picked up the Philips 9040’s this morning. They are intended to be my backups to the Real1’s which I have already trialed and purchased. First of all I’ll mention the hardware. The chargers are the same, the custom ear molds are interchangeable, the TV adapters are the same, I haven’t tried the personal microphone yet. The earmolds I received with the 9040’s have to be redone as the fit wasn’t the greatest, we used my spare set of molds off the Reals without any issues. The App is pretty much from what I’ve seen the same. Secondly my Audi, ran the REM, then set these up using NAL NL2 rather than the DSL Adult formula that the Reals have. To be honest I’m really liking the NL2 for sound quality. The DSL is a bit tinny sounding if that makes sense. It’s early in the game but it has already crossed my mind that I should’ve trialed the 9040’s then the Reals. I won’t lose too much sleep over that, I hope, lol. If anyone wants to ask questions I’ll try my best to answer them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. You’re right not to lose sleep over buying the Reals before the 9040s. You didn’t go wrong doing that. Now you have one of the best pair of aids for your primary, and one of the best value pair of aids for your backup, life is very good for you!

It’s good that you have DSL Adult on the Real and NL2 on the Philips so you can compare. If you consistently prefer the NL2 over the DSL later on, it’s never too late to add a program that has NAL-NL2 to the Real and have REM done against that for the Real as well. Then you’ll have both on the Real. I also find the DSL Adult more tinny than the NAL-NL2 myself. But in complex environments, that tinniness from DSL may prove more helpful in better speech understanding than the NL2, even though both of them are geared to prioritize speech first.

My only question is you mentioned that the charger and the TV Adapter are the same, which is fully expected. But you didn’t say whether you try to interchange them and they still work. For the charger I can see that they’re easily interchangeable. But I’m not sure if you can pair the 9040 with the TV Adapter for the Real, and vice versa or not. Also, did you get the regular charger or the SmartCharger (that has its own built-in battery)? If the later, then are they interchangeable, too?

You didn’t mention the ConnectClip vs the AudioClip, so it’s not clear if you have both of these as well or not. And of course, the big question is whether you can use pair one with the other brand or not, and vice versa. I think some folks have reported that they can’t, but it’s good to get a confirmation here as well.

2 Likes

(brackets indicate corrections to original)

Just to update with a non-update: I did have my appointment two days ago, with the result that I will pick up a pair of 9040s and microShell molds on Dec. 11 after a fitting. So I’m still curious, along with @Volusiano, as to whether the 9040s will pair with an Oticon TV adapter.

Thank you. My restaurant experiences with the Reals haven’t exactly been stellar. I can hear alright but the sounds come in a bit too high pitched. I’m hoping to find a difference this evening as we are going to a noisy restaurant. I can give some input later with that experience. My time is a limited at the moment to investigate connecting both at the same time to the TV adapter as I think it has to be reset then pair configuration. Maybe reset the TV adapter then pair both sets of hearing aids at the same time may work. I’ll experiment tomorrow with that and the Connect clip. I’ll post an update.
Regarding your question

I got the Smartcharger with the Reals and the desktop with the 9040’s, they are interchangeable from what I’ve experienced so far. The buttons on the 9040 are slightly different but they do fit the Real smart charger. The Reals are sitting in the 9040 desktop cradle right now.

1 Like

Update on the restaurant experience with the 9040’s. We dined at the Keg steakhouse last evening, which can be and was a loud experience. I didn’t struggle with hearing as I did with the Reals dining experience this past Saturday. Settings on 9040 was “speech in noise”. I did have a little more background noise coming through on the 9040 than the Reals. A Coffee get together this morning with a group of 7. I experienced no issues with hearing but there was less background noise than last night. I think somewhere in these 9040’s there is a happy medium as far as background noise in loud environments versus quieter. I think tempering it a tad will make it just fine. So far I am really liking the NL2 setup of the Philips over the DSL set up of the Reals. It’s still early in the game but I like the 9040’s a lot. One of the differences on the Apps is that unlike the Oticon there is no Speech boost on the Philips app. Also regarding the App. In my day and a half usage the Philips has less connection issues that the Oticons. My hearing aids connect immediately to my Flip4 Android phone, stay connected calls and streaming so far. The Oticons don’t.

2 Likes

I finally got around to tinkering with connecting the 9040’s to my Real TV adapter and Real Connect clip. I can not get them to connect. I’m not sure if they have to be set up in the Hearlink software first. My Audi says they should work, which apparently doesn’t mean they will. I’m also not seeing the TV adapter setting on the Philips Hearlink app like I do on the Oticon Companion app. I’m not going to rule it out but hopefully, although not a deal breaker, I can find a way to connect them.