Thinking about coclear implants, but have some questions

Question; I believe you said that you have a Resound HA.
Do you use the phone clip for cell phones.
Does the sound stream equally to the HA & CI?
Is streaming better than holding the phone to the CI?

With HA’s I HAVE to “stream”, cannot really understand with only cell phone to HA.
Thanks

Although one shouldn’t be discouraged from having a CI out of concern for this dilemma. IMHO.

Originally Posted by hlaasdan4
Ok, I have Cochlear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Question; I believe you said that you have a Resound HA.
Do you use the phone clip for cell phones.
Does the sound stream equally to the HA & CI? Can you hear better on the CI side?
Is streaming better than holding the phone to the CI?

With HA’s I HAVE to “stream”, cannot really understand with only cell phone to HA.
Thanks

P.S. Made a “coffee” that Cochlear put on at a local coffee shop the other day.
Met the local rep. and got to hold the Nucleus 6 and Kanso. She told me the “kits” came with 2 processors, so I could get one of each.
She also brought a “volunteer” and he was a bi-lateral CI wearer.
Was really impressed with their genuine desire to help.

Actually I have an Oticon. Although I do know of some CI users that have the Resound HA in the other ear. There might be some right here in the forum. Good luck!

I’ve been advised that my profound hearing loss is beyond what a hearing aid can serve, and that I’d be an excellent candidate for CI. My left ear is still within range of a hearing aid. I have a question: (1) when a CI processor is removed for the night, is that ear totally deaf or is there some residual hearing left.

Many CI users had very little residual hearing in the implanted hearing to begin with. To the point that they pretty much only heard sounds when it was amplified with an hearing aid. I think more focus should be on what you can gain with the CI than losing what little residual hearing you may have. I don’t even know if I still have any residual hearing left in my implanted ear. I just know that I surely hear better with the CI in that ear than I ever did with the HA. There’s the CI hybrid that I think is supposed to preserve the residual hearing. But I do not know if it’s for those within your hearing loss range? Besides I think generally speaking, they do a better job preserving the residual hearing in cochlear implantations these days? Check with your doctor.

Won’t be long before the internet ent’s arrive… Unless they think they already been here because you high-jacled an old thread.

I have 2 CI’s - first one about 4 years ago, the other 3 years ago. The first one was amazing after adjustments and getting over the funny tones at the beginning. I could hear better than I had in my many years of using hearing aids. I had pretty much become a recluse due to not being able to understand speech.
My second implant was not as good - just do not get the clarity I did with the first one. No one can explain that to me.
I can use my iphone without any other devices, which is amazing in itself! I do have the audio bluetooth clip, which brings telephone conversations to both ears at once.
You should only be able to get one CI at a time - so should be able to hear with your one aid until second one is done. It’s only a few weeks between implantation and activation. I know of people that stayed with only 1 CI and one hearing aid, and were quite happy with that. I guess it depends on your hearing loss.
I’ve had upgrades, now have Cochlear N6. Now thinking about newer devices with just the magnet and not anything hanging on the ear. I have had no mechanical type problems (knock wood) with my implants.

I am in the midst of the experience - my hearing was about the same as your description. You can read it here: Diary of a Cochlear Implant | Mysteries So Bright

My CI surgeon said I might have residual hearing - and that it would be about 20 dB down from my hearing in that ear that I had before the surgery. But there was none left afterwards. But as you say, hlaasdan4, I don’t even notice the loss because I had so little before. My tinnitus is still loud in both ears, just as it was before - I hope that will diminish as time goes on because it still interferes with understanding speech.

Mine is totally deaf - the ringing (tinnitus) is still loud, however, so it seems normal.