The term "hard of hearing" :(

Am I the only one who can’t stand the term “hard of hearing”? When I don’t hear something, I tell people that I don’t hear well, but can’t bring myself to say the HOH words (tho’ people might better understand what I mean). If I wear glasses, I’m not “hard of seeing”… Hmm…

I use the term all the time. It is a good description of what I am. If you wore glass in grade school somebody probably called you four eyes. But we grow up and that is good.

I say to people, I wear hearing aids. I then let the people I’ve told make up their minds on exactly how much I can hear.

The term hard of hearing pretty much sums it up, I supposed you could tell somebody you’re hearing impaired or partially hearing or my favorite, aurally challenged. I just tell people I have hearing issues. wear hearing aids and leave it at that.

It’s what it is. I have trouble hearing, so I am “hard of hearing”.

Not many other ways to cut it. Let’s please not turn this into one of those “it’s offensive” posts. Political correctness goes too far these days.

I often say I don’t hear well or I’m hard of hearing. It just depends on the situation for me. I am getting a pair of hearing aids, phonak brand sky (I’m old enough to post, I just want colour, that’s all) in about a week and a half or so. Good thought though! Never did think of how i tell people that I have trouble hearing.

I guess I didn’t explain myself well. It’s the expression “hard of” part of the expression that bugs me. I can’t think of another expression that uses the “hard of” to describe a difficulty (i.e., when you don’t see well you’re not hard of seeing or if you’re a lousy skier you’re not hard of skiing). Guess it’s a my personal problem…

Hard of Hearing is an old term. Many people use the newer term “Hearing impaired.”

My objective when mentioning this to people is usually to encourage them to speak clearly and distinctly (not necessarily louder as most of you probably understand) so I can understand them. I’ve observed that otherwise well-meaning folks usually remember this for about two minutes and then revert to their usual manner of speaking (e.g., run together words, mumbling, ultra-fast talkers). Since I don’t really care much about pride here, I tell them I have a hearing disability. Hearing this “disability” word sometimes but not always causes them to speak more clearly to me for somewhat longer.

It’s better than “deaf”. Cause the term “deaf” may give others the impression that you cannot hear anything at all. Which usually isn’t the case for the hearing-aid or cochlear implant wearers.

I agree with your color comment. My first set of Oticon HAs were a great shade of purple, but then they dropped most of the cool colors for “neutral” aka boring shades.

I say “hard of hearing” or “partially deaf” all the time. Now if I only had a dollar for every jackass that thinks it’s funny to respond with “WHAT?” really loud…

I have had that same issue! When I tell people I’m hard of hearing I just sometimes get ‘So how can you still hear?’ "Does this mean you can’t hear?’ I feel you’re right on the term deaf because I’ve actually had people mistakenly call me that and it’s just sort of wrong in a way. When the person asked me ‘Does this mean you can’t hear?’ I just ignored them and continued the conversation.

I tell them I can’t hear worth a &^%$.

I understand what you mean by the “hard of” part, but it definitely describes the situation…it’s hard for you to hear, therefore in an earlier time that is the expression that came into vogue. I always thought it sounded old fashion and didn’t use it, liking hearing impaired better. Well guess what… now that I’m “old” I use hard of hearing, and I find that people accommodate better with the hard of hearing expression. I guess everyone has heard that one!:grinning:

I’m not “deaf” because I have residual hearing and wear hearing aids therefore I’m hard of hearing.

I have had store cashiers doing sign language and l tell them l can hear you. Sometimes a person would ask me if l can hear them.

I am hard of hearing. It’s hard for me to hear or to participate in conversations, which makes it hard for me to “join in”. I am grateful for the advances made in hearing aids. Family members who came before me suffered also and I find myself wishing they could have benefited from the devices that we now have. They really had it harder. We are lucky to be in this day and age of technical aid advances. Pdae

I just tell people I’m deaf and need you to look at me so I can understand what you are saying to me.

I’m hard of skiing and I am not afraid to admit it