The silence I encounter when removing my hearing aids at night

It’s like everything else. When you first get hearing aids it sounds like the whole world is screaming at you. Then over time the brain adapts and things slowly quiet down. When you go to bed and take out your aids it’s the sound of silence. The brain will also adapt to that but certainly not overnight. So you find yourself more dependent on your aids. And then the hearing aid company’s got you right where they want you. Kind of a double edge sword.

3 Likes

That is why special alarms are necessary. Williams Sound is one example of companies which sell smoke alarms etc for this reason. You can get alarms with a bed shaker (vibrator) that fits under a pillow or mattress, strobe lights, or high volume lower pitch alarms. Really important for safety or to have a wake up alarm.

5 Likes

I use the Apple Watch for my alarm, the watch vibrates and wakes me.

2 Likes

I use my Apple Watch for a wake up alarm too. Fitbit is another option which vibrates. But that does not provide a fire alarm.

1 Like

This is a good resource list:

Vendors of Alerting Devices/HAT:

www.silentcall.com (no payment plans offered)
www.sonicalert.com (no payment plans offered)
http://www.teltex.com/ (State Programs noted, iAccessibility Program offered)
Mobile phone alert | Bellman & Symfon
www.harriscomm.com (payment plans on select products; donation program—apply to request sponsorship)
https://www.harc.com/ (free shipping)
Convert Sounds Into Visual And Sensory Notifications | Sound Alert (Smartphone app $45.65; purchase optional accessories)
Alarms for the Deaf

Siren Detectors: To find out where to get a siren detector, contact National Mobility Equipment DealersAssociation (via link in below website).
http://www.infinitec.org/alerting-systems
http://sirensensorusa.com/

5 Likes

You make it sound like a conspiracy… Where’s that gopher gif when I need it…

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xc4ubIGZwvc/UK3Z9I7wX_I/AAAAAAAAAPU/PdDtsfbbOKU/s1600/whats+that.gif

When I first got my aids, I was sitting in the kitchen, and the refrigerator started humming. I said to my mother, “Mom, I hear a humming sound.” And she stared at me.

“That’s the refrigerator.”

I had never heard it before.

I love the silence when I take them out. And I realized that the world is a very, very noisy place.

4 Likes

My alarm clock shakes the bed. Any other alarms I depend on my wife and hope she’s not mad at me when one goes off.

2 Likes

My wife pushes me quite vigorously to get me to turn of the alarm, too. It does have a stronger effect than the noise from my phone, but I do think I hear it: At least I hear it after I’ve been wakened. Never wondered why she adamant about it. Nice of you all to clue me in. :slight_smile:

I’ve just finished up my first year with them. When I began, my left ear was the worst of the two, moderately severe while the right was moderate. Then during the year my right ear got worse. I can really feel and hear the difference after removing my hearing aids now more than when I began. Sometimes I like it but sometimes I’d rather be hearing things. I sleep through thunder storms but maybe it would be nice to hear one.

I was just telling the story last week about forgetting to put my HAs in and spending time out in public feeling very frustrated.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. While new world :blush:

Welcome to hearing. Don’t make the same mistake I have made. Keep hearing aids in the container provided. I have lost one two times.

1 Like

About a month ago, I decided to stay home alone instead of taking a Patagonia tour with my family. I had to learn to sleep with a HA for safety reasons but found it quite uncomfortable. That was the only time when I wished they were ITE aids.

1 Like

The quiet can be a blessing when tinnitus is more quiet! Enjoy the journey hearing sounds while you can!

1 Like

“Silence” for me is the volume of the world getting turned down while the volume of my “Rheeeeeeee…” gets turned up. I probably didn’t articulate that very well initially.

1 Like

You still haven’t.
I am guessing it’s the sound of a turbocharger or blower.
A small block Chevy twisting 10,000 sounds pretty good too.

1 Like

Interesting! I have been wearing for about 6 months a pair of Oticon S1 Minirite and have gotten quite used to them. After my hearing loss deteriorated significantly in the last few years, I also started experiencing an almost silent world when I take the hearing aids off. However, I still can hear myself - unfortunately too loud for me! - and louder noises if the lower frequencies are strong enough - when my wife is calling me. I also have had the same experience of others with not hearing the doorbell and other important sounds, like a beeping smoke detector somewhere in the house that has a dead battery. We live in a suburb north of Dallas. When we get hit by a severe rain storm, sometimes with hail, and the sirens go off because of a tornado watch or warning, I may hear very well the rain pounding against the windows and the howling of the wind, but not the sirens, even when I have the hearing aids on. Regardless which setting I chose, the hearing aids amplify the sound of the pounding rain and wind so much that I cannot hear the sirens. I will check on some of the suggestions posted in response to your posting.

I have worn hearing aides for about 15 years and I still notice the silence when I take them out at night. I am grateful that I don’t have to live in that silence.

4 Likes

Our tinnitus could have a conversation together. “Rheeeeeeee???” “Chirp chiiirrrrrrp tap tap tap” "Rheeeeeeee???

2 Likes

After wearing my hearing aids for most of the day When I take them out my hearing is awful it’s awful. Is this normal?