The Great Gun Debate

This thread could use a little more disagreement! :wink:

:slight_smile: And like I’ve said repeatedly…it’s your house.

March is just around the corner and we will undoubtedly have spammers joining just so they can post a link to streaming a basketball game. I can’t wait, yawn, zzzz

Curious what people think of proposals from both sides (some Dems and the President) to limit “Assault Rifle” sales (their term, not mine) to those 21 or older. I find it ridiculous. It just doesn’t make sense to send kids (under 21) off to war and use sophisticated weapons, but when they come back to the states, they can’t buy weapons that people older than them can. Even if it would reduce gun deaths, it still wouldn’t be fair. If we want to limit gun sales by age, then we shouldn’t send people off to war until they’re older. I find any rules that pick on a relatively small group because politicians think they can get away with it despicable.

MDB, the description of what even constitutes an Assault rifle has never worked or made sense. When they were outlawed the definition used was overcome with simple, cosmetic changes and many models were still available.

The term is actually a political term more than fact. The weapon used by the military is a more lethal device. In my mind current assault rifles are not as lethal as many other more sporting looking guns – excluding the larger clip. And larger clips are too easy to manufacture and grey market sell.

The bann (10 year life from Clinton era start) actually covered rifles, pistols, and shotguns. So in reality there were: Assault rifles, Assault pistols and Assault shotguns.

Wikipedia:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

Amazing! We agree on something. :>) To me laws should relate to function, not what it looks like.

But my question was more about people’s thoughts of having restrictions on people under 21 rather than the definition of assault weapon.

I guess. :slight_smile:
The point is that an Assault rifle is nothing more than a sexy version of a rifle with a detachable magazine. Everything else is looks. I guess the real debate is looks can kill.

About the unfairness, it is age old. I remember in my era (Vietnam) the under 21’s were old enough to die for a county that they couldn’t vote in.

BTW, if you want something banned, I’d agree on this one. If some disturbed individual used this instead of a rifle or pistol, it’d be horrendous. It is a shotgun with a 25 round drum.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/vepr-12-sgm-25rd-drum-detail.html?Itemid=0

In my state the rules are so complicated we need a flowchart (see below) to determine if a gun may or may not be legal. But sometimes even the flowchart doesn’t help because they/THEY pass annual gun laws making what used to be legal, illegal;

Oh, and then there’s the Roster;
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

Maybe the complicated-ness acts as a bit of a filter for the not so clever that maybe they shouldn’t be buying the gun they’re looking at if they can’t figure out if they’re allowed to or not. :slight_smile:

The only real difference is the selector that allows the military version to become a fully automatic rifle. The civilian versions seem to be pretty lethal and are very good at doing what they were designed to do and that is kill. They were able to mow down over 600 and kill 58 in Vegas in less than 8 minutes and then in less than 6 minutes 31 were shot in Florida killing 17. The USAF used AR 15 weapons until 1991, so since the AF is part of the military the it can be said that it is in fact a military weapon. I won’t list the other shootings where the AR’s were used because the results were the same.

In reality the age limit should probably be higher since the pre frontal cortex of the brain doesn’t fuse until the age of 24 or 25 and this is where the ability to reason is formed. If the person is an alcoholic or drug user it might never fuse. Perhaps this is why many governments want kids to go to war because they don’t as yet have the ability to fully reason. I would also argue that it isn’t fair that 17 families in Florida have had loved ones taken from them because some wacko kid with an AR15 shot and killed them and lets not forget the 14 other families who have had loved ones wounded in the same shooting.

A San Diego-area high school student was arrested at his home in Lemon Grove, California, Tuesday evening on charges of terroristic threats after posting a picture of an AR-15-style assault rifle made of Lego on social media.

According to a Wednesday statement released by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, the unnamed 14-year-old boy posted a picture around 10pm Tuesday evening on Instagram with the message, “Don’t come to school tomorrow.” Another student asked him to take the image down, but he refused.

“It was learned he had access to hunting rifles,” the SDCSD wrote. “The investigation is ongoing to determine if this student has access to other weapons. He was booked into Juvenile Hall on a felony charge of making a criminal threat.”

That’s pretty clever Lego-building.
The threat would be that he allegedly had access to ACTUAL guns.

How many children could that be said about? I think we can all remember what we thought was funny when we were 14.

More unfunny funnies here.

I was young once :slight_smile: . I was traveling unaccompanied on a plane as my first flight. At check-in I joked about keeping the carry-on with a bomb inside. Silence. Scolding from the parent ensued. I flew. I learnt a thing or two though.

I didn’t say the Lego was funny. I said clever. Difference.

The point I was trying for was that the young man saw it humorous and assumed everyone else should.

You know…threatening with a Lego rifle as humorous.

I didn’t go find the story. I just read what you wrote. Humorous much like my idiot punk kid “joke”.
I get your intent now. Thanks.

It wasn’t the Lego gun that got him arrested, it was the threat that got him arrested. We all live in the real world now with civilians having military grade weapons and whether your a kid or an adult making a threat like he did is going to hopefully get you arrested.