The Evoke 440s Are Here!

That’s what I’m hoping closed domes would do for me. Give my HA’s more chance to deal with the noise and less chance for the noise to leak by to my eardrums without giving the HA’s a crack at it. I guess if you don’t hear much difference in noise between having your HA’s on and turning them off completely when wearing domes, it’s not going to give me a boost as much as I might hope in difficult listening situations. Thanks again!

Again that is just me. You can test it out by getting some closed domes on Amazon or an online provider and giving it a shot. It’s a cheap test and then you’ll know. Just watch the volume

1 Like

Thanks again for the advice. Looking in the goodies bag my audi gave me, there are actually a bunch of different domes so I will have to give them a try and see how they work, watching out, as you say, for the volume.

FWIW I’m using Shure Ear Bud silicon tips
from my in ear monitors I purchased years ago. They work well and are great for music. It’s a closed fit with just enough leakage not to feel plugged.

1 Like

Mark question - I’ve been wearing “hard” hearing custom molds (full) in both ears for years. Never had a problem except for suckers pushing ear wax deeper into my ear canal over a period of time. You mentioned that you purchased clear soft silicon type molds. So my question is - is the receiver in your “clear mold” very noticeable? I’ve recently seen a few full (hard acrylic) Resound hearing aid molds that were clear but did not display the receiver inside. Which is rather odd since the receiver has to be some where. So just curious if you silicon molds show an internal receiver and if so are they very noticeable. In the old days there were clear skeleton molds that you could barely see - but the reason for that was the “receiver” was inside the Hearing Aid and not the mold.

The receiver is in the canal with the mold. The thin wire is less visible than a BTE tube. None of which bothers me anyway.

1 Like

I usually use earplugs when streaming and find it helps, especially bass. Is that kinda like a closed dome?

Somebody more knowledgeable than I might want to comment but I would think that, yes, foam plugs would help prevent outside noise getting in by bypassing your HA’s, maybe even more so than closed power domes. But perhaps on the inside power domes might help trap and reflect back any sound produced by the receivers inside your ear canals whereas foam plugs might tend to absorb more any receiver sound that hit them (?). Does the sound you hear in your ears seem “crisper” when you’re wearing the foam plugs? For streaming, I like to stream to my noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones as that helps prevent outside environmental noise going both to my HA mics and going directly to my ear drums (the latter still happens even if I turn my HA mics off by going into streaming focus when streaming to my HA’s directly). Sorry to go off-topic in the Evoke thread but the info might be useful to Evoke users, too, in deciding how to best take advantage of their wonderful new HA’s.

I’d say it is more robust and bassier

Hope your 440s are doing well. Mine OTOH are not working properly- blue tooth issue.(kind of?) The issue at hand is RH or LH will turn off when ending a call or swapping from phone to phone (work/ Personal) By turning off I mean the HA has no output, like you pulled the battery. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and it does it so sporadically that I blamed it on the phone switching. The app shows the offending HA as still connected, but a swipe across the mic and you know it is off. A simple open and close battery compartment and it’s back in action. I mentioned this to my Audi at an appointment and she agreed that could be the cause but would contact Widex about it. I went to my next appointment and we discussed the issue and it was suggested to “forget” my pairings and redo the pairings again. We re-paired, changed some settings and I was on my way. Issue was still present a few days later- crap!- Went in again for longer receiver wires and stated it happened again since the last visit. I asked the audi to make me another program and remove a program that I didn’t use and BAM! LH HA was off. She was shocked, I got a call today…we are sending them in and I will have a loaner pair waiting for me when I can make the appointment.
Even with this issue I still like my results I am having with these. Yes, they are my first venture in to HAs but my end results are IMO astounding. There have been a few times when “normal” hearing folks can’t understand something when I can clearly understand what was said. The phone being sent directly to my HAs has made me forget how to answer a normal phone LOL My ear has never been so overjoyed from not having a phone smashed on it to hear calls!!

I would think there has to be something wrong as mine have been flawless. No disconnects or acting up at all. I have a set of over the ear wireless head phones that I use. If I’m streaming to the aids and put on the head phones the iPhone transfers sound over to the head set. If I shut the head phones off it transfers right back to the aids without a hiccup.

There is a difference between cars. I have an Explorer and a Grand Cherokee. I want to hear phone calls thru the car sound system. The Explorer remembers this but the Jeep always wants me to choose.

Speech in noise is stellar.

1 Like

Glad to see yours are working flawless. Mine do everything else “normally” without a hitch, except obviously the shut down issue. I did get something in the mail that made my day about them though. After ~2 months of having them insurance finally went through. The Audi submitted the bill for $5800, Ins covers $600 and discounted the Audi’s bill and states my responsibility is $3675. Sooooooooo the way I read it and verified by calling my Ins. They owe me $2125 which made me a happy camper! Now I just have to wait and see what happens…

1 Like

Those Evokes are sounding good. I’ll have to investigate further.

1 Like

Trial by fire:
Evoke Beyond vs Evoke 440s
Although it wasn’t a long so to speak trial,(week and a half) having to send in the 440s in for repair. I was given Beyonds as loaners with my settings from the 440s. I noticed a few things right out of the gate with the Beyonds, the “crispness” in the sound wasn’t there, Music setting was bland almost muted probably due to the “crispness” factor, the wind reduction seemed slower to respond and I missed the Sound sense learn. Don’t get me wrong, they did what they were supposed to do. I would have never known the difference if I hadn’t had the 440s to begin with obviously. Then again the programming could have been tweaked and they might have performed similar without the SSL function available. I got my 440s back and we are back in business!!! No BT issues, I have had them back for a week. Switching between phones and ending phone calls has no longer dropped out a HA as of yet. SSL has updated and I like this format MUCH MUCH better than the old. I confirmed I will get my $ back from the Audi for the difference…will take around a month :astonished: These are keepers for sure and playing with the SSL will just make them better!

2 Likes

Great review today by Dr. Cliff. I agree with his thoughts with the exception of his negative comment on the lack of a lithium charging solution. I live in earthquake country and always want to have an option in case power is out for an extended amount of time. Regular battery or ZPower are my preference over an electricity-dependent system. I need to be able to hear after an earthquake!

2 Likes

BTW the Fusion HAs are all BT. The good Aud is not
familiar with Widex. The Fusion 2 are BT direct.

1 Like

He could have mentioned the fuel cell as well.

1 Like

That’s not necessarily a valid reason. The “with-it” tech that Elon Musk-types would like to sell you is to, say, have solar power charging Tesla batteries in your home. When an earthquake knocks out power to your home, you have your charged house batteries to rely on at least for a few days if not more if your solar setup still works. In a modern civilization if power is disrupted for more than a few days, one has a bigger problem than charging your HA’s. A gasoline-powered emergency power generator is another way to charge your HA’s (and the rest of your home). A really well-off friend that I know has one built into the wiring of his house. When a tree fell in a storm and took out the utility lines on his street including knocking down a pole or two, life in his house went on normally while all his neighbors’ house were pitch dark at night for days.

Is it so with the zinc-air batteries that the phone app can’t really tell you exactly how charged they are because the discharge voltage/SOC (State of Charge) curve is so flat? Since the voltage of Li-ion batteries dips as they are discharged, that makes it possible to calibrate the SOC of the HA batteries and allows you to tell in the phone app “exactly” how much charge you have left. If that difference is true, i.e., you can never tell exactly when your Zn-air battery is about to croak, then on a daily basis you get a nice convenience with Li-ion batteries that you don’t with zinc-air. Pardon my ignorance. I’ve never owned HA’s with disposable batteries. But that daily convenience should also be weighed against the much rarer instance that you’re not fully preparing for by not providing any backup electricity generation for your dwelling… Just stocking up on disposables…

That is great if you can afford it, not all can afford that tech.

If you want back up power for other reasons, great. Otherwise it seems like a lot of hassle to go to to feel comfortable that your hearing aids will work. I find it interesting that to some (often new or inexperienced with hearing aids) rechargeables seem like the greatest invention, whereas to regular users of disposable batteries, rechargeables seem like a solution in search of a problem. And I’d add that if something is a “valid” reason is in the eye of the beholder.

3 Likes