The Costco Effect - Eyeglasses

I also tried monovision contacts and was OK with it during the day, but like you did not find the vision good enough at night. I briefly considered monovision correction with an IOL when I get the cataract surgery done, but that seems too extreme a thing to take a chance on. Some do it though.

I think I will go for the aspheric toric lens, but may change my mind before my time comes up. Here is a link to another short article on the types of lenses. I believe there is also one other more basic choice than the ones they describe in the article. That is the spheric lens.

I’ve been really happy with having lens implants that just correct for distance version. My surgeon said that’s the way he would go although the other surgeon I saw said he’d go with having the implants correct for near vision (essentially making him nearsignted) because he values his closeup vision so much. The trade off between multifocal and fixed distance correction is clarity and perhaps night vision issue (as well as additional costs.)

I had surgical repair of a detached retina in my right eye about 5 years ago. That situation made it necessary to have cataract surgery in the same eye once everything settled. I had the left eye done about a year ago. Both eyes are set for close vision, but there is some difference between the two. Essentially, that difference gives me more of a midrange. I generally don’t wear my glasses for anything but driving now–or if I’m out for a walk (they have transitions lenses :slightly_smiling_face:)

Thanks again, everyone. I figure it won’t hurt to pay attention to what’s available now while hoping by the the time I need the surgery there are even better options.