That plugged up feeling

I had those things on a couple occasions as a kid. My ears have always been trouble.
I wonder now that other surgeries I had also as a kid involved oto-toxic drugs.

Sorry. I seem to have confused valsalva maneuver and vagal maneuvers. During my research,
I discovered this https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ruptured-eardrum/symptoms-causes/syc-20351879 which suggests using valsalva maneuver to prevent ruptured eardrum.

2 Likes

The nursing textbook I have defines the Valsalva maneuver as “a maneuver that involves contraction of the chest muscles on a closed glottis with simultaneous contraction of the abdominal muscles”. It goes on to give several contraindications. Maybe the Mayo Clinic is describing “Valsalva maneuver lite”.

What you’re quoting agrees more with my memory (basically hold your breath and bear down), but most of the sources I found now describe the hold your nose procedure, and apparently Dr. Valsalva came up with it. Is your nursing text somewhat dated (like me)? The source I cited suggests holding your noise and blowing gently.

I learned the term from a military pilot many years later.

It’s copyrighted 2011. Eighth edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing by Lewis, Dirksen, et al. I bought it at the public library book sale for $4, and read it like a novel over several weeks.

Thanks! I find strange that that the “Valsalva maneuver” is used to describe two distinctly different (although related) techniques. Makes me feel better about my memory.

I had a similar experience after a plane ride. The plugged ear was very annoying. So I must’ve stumbled onto your blowing out the tubes method when blowing my nose as I was able to clear the stuffiness. Thanks for your post.