Teleaudiology survey - your opinions wanted!

Hello, I’m Mark, a researcher at National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL) in Sydney, Australia. NAL’s aims are to perform evidence-based research on hearing and hearing loss, and to develop innovative ways of helping people with hearing loss.

We are currently investigating possibilities relating to teleaudiology. If you:

• have hearing loss, or
  • have a child with hearing loss, or
  • are an audiologist, or
  • are a manager at a hearing services provider, or
  • work for a hearing aid manufacturer,

we would value your opinions on teleaudiology, even if you currently know nothing about it.

If you would be happy to share your opinions on teleaudiology, please complete the survey by following this link:

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4566446/NAL-Teleaudiology-Survey

The survey should take about 20 minutes to complete.

Please also feel free to send the link to anyone else who you think might want to share their opinions.

If you have any questions about the survey or problems with it, please email speechpathology@hearing.com.au or reply here.

This project has been approved by the Australian Hearing Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number AHHREC2018-22).

Thanks for your help!

Please note that we have increased the estimated time from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. Thank you to everyone who has completed the survey so far, and apologies if it took longer than expected.

OK! Being very marketing survey-oriented myself, I’m happy to have submitted my completed survey. LOVE when folks ask our opinions here, cuz we are a gold mine target audience.

That said … um, I live in the USA, and even tho you seem to offer tele-audiological services (a novel concept!) I’d guess that with the time difference, I’d experience a bit of a delay in real-time service. And please don’t even think about outsourcing this kind of service to a country where there could be a language barrier! :wink:

I actually just came from a visit to my local aud-guy, and felt it was time well spent because he not only trouble-shooted a problem with my aids in the office there, but also handed me a pair of “sweat sox” to cover my aids when working out! You can’t do that remotely. Things crop up when meeting face-to-face that way.

Thank you for completing the survey 1Bluejay! We agree that teleaudiology has some obstacles to overcome, and that some types of audiological services are probably more suited to teleaudiology than others.

Maybe when the survey is done and dusted, you could share with us the possibilities that you are investigating. And when you say ‘teleaudiology’ you mean… remote fitting and support by a human being? remote fitting and support by AI/ rules-based software? A combination of the two or something else?

Thanks for your comments d_Wooluf. At this stage we’re not investigating specific possibilities, just teleaudiology in general and all its possibilities. AI might be suitable for some things, but we are primarily thinking of services provided by a human.