Teacher With Newly Diagnosed Loss Very Frustrated in the Classroom

I did not notice the wall clock in my classroom! I’ll add it to the list of things to listen too in two weeks when my permanent aids come :slight_smile:

I too was a loud typist. I am much more gentle when I push the keys now :flushed:

1 Like

Neat :slight_smile: Did you get a fun colour too?

I felt about 5 staring at the selection and debated between purple, pink and turquoise, but was much happier with that selection than the selection I was offered for the Audeo Paradise, which had the same neutral colours the Sky line had; black, white, silver and 4 shades of skin tones (the audiologist loved the light brown ones because I could blend them with my hair)… Had I gone that way I would have gone with black or white because the others almost made me feel like I was supposed to be ashamed though …

I teach elementary school, and although I have grade 6s this year, I usually teach much younger kids. I have TRexs on the dress I am wearing and rainbow glasses. Why on earth would I want to hide something with my hair? Plus, what happens if I dye my hair?

Granted, if I did not hand out with 600 5-11 year olds all day, I might have felt differently about wanting something subtle :slight_smile:

@annaivanovacanada

I don’t unfortunately have a fun colour altho I’m still happy with them. I have petrol colour which is a dark blue. I also have the lights flashing as well as I like to show up in the dark, haha!

Dark Blue is still pretty fun compared to beige, dark beige, light brown and dark brown :slight_smile: Sounds nice :slight_smile: Like glasses, navy grey is always refined :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I LOVE your earmolds! Glitter :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@annaivanovacanada

Thanks, they are multi coloured glitter. My right ear mould is a hard ear mould and my left ear mould is a soft ear mould due to different hearing loss in each ear.

I do really need new ear moulds and was thinking of getting blue this time.

1 Like

Smart @Zebras, I am a great believer in, “if you have got it, then flaunt it”, hopefully others will take up the mantle, and make hearing aids a fashion statement, well done…… I see only one shoe, on your Sky’s, any reason for this? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’ve only got 1 x Roger 18 as my left side doesn’t really pick up speech so it’s a way of saving money.

I had to pay for the Roger 18 as Access to Work will only fund audio shoes and Roger X receivers now. I do have the audio shoes and Roger X receivers as spares.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sound @Zebras…… It’s been many years since I had any dealings with, Access to Work…… They got me a FM system many years ago, for training, and meetings…… I got my Roger On yesterday, works perfect with Marvel 90’s as there was 1 X Roger 03 receiver installed on them, the Roger On looked unused, almost new, with a charge stand, neck cord Roger On lanyard, and a Roger soft case, which was indeed a bonus, as I assumed I would have to buy those…… I have ordered a Roger Installer, should get it next week? Roger Neckloop receiver came today, it’s on charge :grin: Ordered another Roger X 03 (£89) comes with a Phonak shoe, I don’t need the Shoe though, but I thought it would be a safer bet, if it came with a shoe, then hopefully the license hasn’t been removed? Been spending, more than I wanted too, but it should work out about half the price or just over that, than if I bought all this new, and with the added bonus of the installer, and the Roger Neckloop, I can now swap the licenses about to suit me, or just use the loop…. Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55

Excellent, I’m pleased you be got yourself all sorted with the On and various receivers.

I’m using my Select all the time and I love it.

My On is for work but I’m only working two days so I’m using my Select more.

1 Like

Thank you @Zebras …… Yeah, I have plans afoot for the Roger Select, cheapest I have found them so far, is £520 new, with the VAT wavier, might go for the select next month…… Might sell a pair of Naida V90’s which are from 2017, they are in mint condition, and almost unused, I think I have only used them a couple of times, as backups, if I get enough to cover a select, then that will be fine…. Cheers Kev :wink:

Teacher here. You can also search Etsy for hearing aid stickers. I got a bunch when my purple hearing aids finally died and my only options were bland colors. I honestly almost cried. Then, I got my stickers. I didn’t get to use them last year as I switched hearing aids after 2 month. BUT… I got ones with glitter, ones with trucks, ones with Marvel characters and even Harry Potter. I’m hoping they fit the new hearing aids.

1 Like

I am exploring a Cochlear Impant for my left ear and will likely get a Phonak Marvel Sky in the teal color to go in the other ear. same color for the CI if I benefit from it. Great colors.

Cute! I got purple this time, so hopefully that will do me in the fun department for a bit. How did your admin/students react to your aids?

The teal is super pretty. I had a hard time picking between purple and teal. I got purple because I decided it would match more of my things, but I would have been happy with either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a look on eBay. They may be a lot cheaper? You might also be okay with just the On. Phonak have made it so you can’t use the On and Select in table mode at the same time. You can only use one. It’s so people buy the table mics.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I’m a Teacher of the Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing and lost my hearing AFTER I’d been teaching about 15 or so years. I didn’t get hearing aids for about another 5 year since I was teaching using sign language. I became an itinerant (go from school to school) and that’s when I got my hearing aids. Needless to say, I luckily already knew what to do. My students thought I was joking w/them until I showed them my purple HAs and then we compared technology :slight_smile: I’m lucky that I had been in my district so long that when I gushed about my Purple (Purple!!) hearing aids, they went w/it (in a good way). I’ve taught all they from ECSE to 18-21 yr olds, so i can get a little “energetic” about stuff

When I’m working with new administrators, I’m just very matter-of-fact. I tell them that I wear hearing aids, that even with them, I still don’t hear everything clearly, Masks have been h$ll for me. I’ve learned to repeat back what part I heard and then ask clarifying questions about what I didn’t hear. “You said Johnny’s score was low, what was it again” This works better than saying “please repeat that” or “what?” Especially since I often got part of the message.

With your hearing loss, it’s harder to hear the vowel sounds and other sounds that have the “power” in spoken language. Kind of like the difference between “hit”, 'hot", “hat” or "fourteen and “forty” These are VERY basic examples I use with teachers in my inservices but there’s a difference between the answer 14 and 40 but only 1 sound changes it /n/. THEN you add in the masks that decreases speech sounds between 5-15db. That’s a lot!!

I can actually go on and on. Feel free to send a personal message if you want. I’ve been working with several teachers (ok MANY) who are struggling with these masks!!

5 Likes

In what way are they optimized for the classroom?

2 Likes

Noise is different in the classroom. The automatic program just flips subprograms a little bit differently.

2 Likes

Might be why my Sky V70 AutoSense doesn’t feel as good as my old (Brio) Naida Q90 SoundFlow.

The old SoundFlow seems to work far better for me then the AutoSense.